what do you think

For sure, as ridiculous and minor as it may sound, when I moved into MMA from MT, the small gloves got to me. I wasn't as confident at first letting my hands go like I normally did with the bigger gloves. That shit was embarrassing. Eventually I got used to it and was able to adapt to my groove in about a month. I had to change my block and use more evasive and head movement type defense compared to walk down rock em' sock em.

But thats what MMA is, every discipline has holes that become obvious when jumping into MMA, anyone who assumes you'll be a stud right off the bat because you have great credentials in one dimension hasn't really had exp. with MMA imo.

yeha
For sure, as ridiculous and minor as it may sound, when I moved into MMA from MT, the small gloves got to me. I wasn't as confident at first letting my hands go like I normally did with the bigger gloves. That shit was embarrassing. Eventually I got used to it and was able to adapt to my groove in about a month. I had to change my block and use more evasive and head movement type defense compared to walk down rock em' sock em.

But thats what MMA is, every discipline has holes that become obvious when jumping into MMA, anyone who assumes you'll be a stud right off the bat because you have great credentials in one dimension hasn't really had exp. with MMA imo.
people try to talk bad about mma strikers but they just dont know what its like with mam gloves tbh i prefer smaller gloves helps set up my wrestling more makes them scared to fully commit on me too which helps my striking

the small gloves make good guys really afraid t fully commit even vs other strikers those small gloves can get into tiny openings in defense thats why overhand rights are so successful in mma vs boxing u gotta really move alot to evade shots

anyone who practices something specifically, such as MT, Boxing, BJJ, so on and so forth, will look at most MMA fights and say their MT, Boxing, BJJ, so on and so forth is crap. The goal behind MMA is to be well rounded, so you see guys that are a "C" at everything compared to boxers who are "A" at punching.

as far as padwork goes, theres fight training padwork, and cardio type padwork hit the pads and look pretty, its the new fitness fad, you see people doing long elaborate combos, yet their technique is wrong from the very first punch, yet they are so ignorant, they dont know, and becuase they can do "said long combo" they think they are really doing something or that they can fight, when in reality they cannot. People are paying "coaches" to blow smoke up their ass with mitts.

They thought Floyd was serious when he was doing the fancy mittwork with his uncle lol. It's all for the cameras but they copy the blueprint thinking that is how you should train.

You do not need 16oz sparring gloves to have an effective defense in a style such as boxing. Not being there is a better defense than attempting to catch a shot on the glove. Plus you can catch punches with bare hands if you choose.

Also, head movement is defense. Footwork is defense.

How do you think boxers fight on the street without any gloves at all? Are they ineffective? Of course not. It's called adapting. Someone who has trained their CNS to respond to an activity will be able to make adjustments. Someone grounded in the fundamentals, and understanding of application will be able to make adjustments. If you're well versed in your craft you can adapt it for your purposes.

The thought that boxing doesn't work in MMA because of x,y,z I think is a hollow argument. Why? Because many of the fighters claiming to use boxing in MMA quite frankly are not good at it. If you don't have a foundation in it how can you be expected to make adjustments. You think Kobe would be able to make an over the backboard shot if he wasn't well versed in his craft? You think MJ making a free throw line dunk would be possible without understanding the fundamentals? How about Curry's half court shot?

Boxing, and stand up skills are something we see displayed but often times not well, and in a way where the practitioner looks uncomfortable or unnatural which points to a lack of exposure or practice.

Appropriate footwork, and head movement I would like to see more in MMA.

yeha

people try to talk bad about mma strikers but they just dont know what its like with mam gloves tbh i prefer smaller gloves helps set up my wrestling more makes them scared to fully commit on me too which helps my striking

the small gloves make good guys really afraid t fully commit even vs other strikers those small gloves can get into tiny openings in defense thats why overhand rights are so successful in mma vs boxing u gotta really move alot to evade shots
The threat of the takedown really changes things.

Personally I feel that MMA striking is going to be its own distinct style down the line, the progress that's been happening since the old days is huge.

There's still some stigma from purebred strikers saying overhands and supermans aren't "technique"

The threat of the takedown really changes things.

Personally I feel that MMA striking is going to be its own distinct style down the line, the progress that's been happening since the old days is huge.

There's still some stigma from purebred strikers saying overhands and supermans aren't "technique"

But overhands are technique and superman's are flashy techniques.

But overhands are technique and superman's are flashy techniques.
Superman's aren't flashy, its more of the application. As a counter and covering distsnce its great.

One of my favorite takedown setups come off a superman

Superman's aren't flashy, its more of the application. As a counter and covering distsnce its great.

One of my favorite takedown setups come off a superman

I think of it more as flashy because it looks good, and it's out of the ordinary. I use to use it all the time in one gym but I don't know if I can hit it on anyone again, but if i get to a fight gym I will most definitely try.

mastering any martial art can take a lifetime, these guys have to do their best to master many, and then be able to put them all together.
Not only that, even MMA specific material you can really list it as its own martial art as well. GnP has progressed so much its that. Its not longer sit on top and whail. You keep moving positions, kob, drop into your strike as you hit to put more heat, etc.
Same with fence work, its almost its own breed now, and its only grow from here

Not only that, even MMA specific material you can really list it as its own martial art as well. GnP has progressed so much its that. Its not longer sit on top and whail. You keep moving positions, kob, drop into your strike as you hit to put more heat, etc.
Same with fence work, its almost its own breed now, and its only grow from here

exactly right i agree 100% with the GNP, it is its own seperate art, much like the clinch of muay thai. I make that comparison with people. Again referencing how its more difficult to become a "A" in all the martial arts required to be an MMA fighter rather than just one martial art. This is why you could refer to mma fighters (generally speaking) as "jack of all trades, master of none"

Back