Opinion What does a real hero look like?

nac386

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Each time there is some type of terror attack or mass shooting, there are normal people who become heroes and save lives. Sometimes they get a lot of attention, sometimes they don't. But they never seem to get the amount of attention that the murderers get. So this thread is dedicated to those heroes.

Spencer Stone, Alek Skarlatos, and Anthony Sadler thwarted a terror attack on a train.

Anthony Borges, the 15 year old who shielded some of his classmates and took several gunshots in Parkland High School.
anthony2.png

Peter Wang, killed in Parkland High School while holding the door for others to escape.
21JROTC1-SUB-master768.jpg

Steve Willeford and Jonnie Langendorf, the two guys who chased down the Texas Church shooter.
Texas-Heroes_REPUB_840x480.jpg

James Shaw, the guy who tackled the Wafflehouse Shooter.
f-waffleman-a-20180424-870x638.jpg

Anymore? Add them here.

I know I'm all foreign and stuff, but....

620x349

Johannesburg man, Vekneshan Moodley (right) was stabbed to death protecting his girlfriend (left) from armed robbers. He planned to propose to her, and was going to have 30 of his friends each give her a rose as a part of his proposal.
She instead had them lay those roses on his casket a week later.

dKyZGYZsUnqFJyRbScXk8u2IdKSy3hkdBk4ghmI_1ow67CT0wcSFpb_FmMrf0XMbWZTOghSlIlrh6trEt8vdp38BpOIWCRTpH6SgsjnV2rQgrn6R-JLf62Ab9A6YfHC2fb4isRhb

Darryn August - of Athlone, Cape Town - intervened to help two women who were being robbed by five men on a train. He was the only person present who tried to help and for his efforts, he was thrown from the train - paralyzing him.
A ridiculously positive individual, he actually eventually met his attackers and forgave them, rather than pressing charges. He hope to compete in the Paralympics.

Excellent thread

Not a shooting, but saved something from becoming a true tragedy

Tammie Jo Shultz. Pilot aboard Southwest flight 1380 that landed a 737 after an engine blew up saving 148 lives

Pic of her as the first female F/A18 pilot for the US Navy in the early 80s

180419-tammie-jo-shults-mn-0740_f5d481004252a1ea95c2a388a0679144.focal-1000x500.jpg

Last edited:
A good and refreshing topic!

There are many heroes that go unnoticed and I agree that the perpetrators in general receive all the air time. A little on the more humorous side, an Australian TV team visited a suburb in Sweden and some protestors attacked them. Now, this unsung and humble hero surfaced and went pedal to the metal to save the day:

<- He appears in shining armor (permobile) at around 16 secs into the clip

rinkeby.jpg

Ugh. I can't find his name. I want to give some recognition, but perhaps he requested it to stay out of media to avoid the hassle

That Uber driver in 2015 with the ccw who stopped a man who was opening fire into a crowd. That could have been a massive shooting on the scale of the Pulse nightclub if not for the Uber driver willfully breaking Uber's no guns policy

Here's a huge one, right after the Florida school Shooting where cops hid outside and didn’t go in. Blaine Gaskill, a school resource officer that stopped a school shooter within seconds in Maryland

180320152225-deputy-blaine-gaskill-exlarge-169.jpg

Excellent thread

No a shooting, but saved something from becoming a true tragedy

Tammie Jo Shultz. Pilot aboard Southwest flight 1380 that landed a 737 after an engine blew up saving 148 lives

Pic of her as the first female F/A18 pilot for the US Navy in the early 80s

180419-tammie-jo-shults-mn-0740_f5d481004252a1ea95c2a388a0679144.focal-1000x500.jpg
He’s gotten a lot of media coverage already, so I’m not sure it’s in the spirit of the thread, but Sully’s decision making is still amazing to me. In a matter of seconds he made the call to lose the airplane, but save the passengers by ditching in the water. It would’ve been so much easier to make the call to turn around and try to make it back to LaGuardia, but he knew that if they came in short they’d hit a residential neighborhood. He made the right call, saved everyone aboard, didn’t risk people on the ground, and has gone on to continue his work towards safer skies. A true American hero.

Waffle House guy is a bawse...should be more celebrated

I won't include military since this seems to be about civilian heroes.

Welles Crowther.

0b9f87be-d295-4143-a121-b0508a767964.inline_yes

Welles Crowther was an investment banker working for Sandler O'Neill & Partners on the 104th floor of 2 World Trade Center (the south tower).

When UA Flight 175 struck the south tower, Crowther remained calm. Just minutes after the plane hit, Crowther called his mother to let her know he was okay. He then began assisting others in evacuating, at one point carrying a woman down down 17 flights of stairs, only to return to the 78th floor to continue helping others.

Crowther had made it out of the building and was running back into it with a "Jaws of Life" tool when the tower collapsed.

He was 24 years old.

I dont know if local heroes count, since the guy is well known in my state.

heroe-mexicano-jesus-garcia-corona.jpg

Jesús García Corona (13 November 1881 – 7 November 1907) was a Mexican railroad brakeman who died while preventing a train loaded with dynamite from exploding near Nacozari, Sonora, in 1907.

Angela McQueen, a teacher in Illonois tackled a student and wrestled the gun away when he attempted to open fire in the cafeteria. Two kids were shot, but both recovered and returned to school.

Zm07Nl2.jpg

Ahed Tamini, the new face of the Palestinian struggle.

images

She was born to be a hero:
180307-ahed-tamimi-mc-14383_d5b9270eb85ad9eb1513948770747a75.focal-760x380.JPG

ahed%2Btamimi%2B-%2Bquote.jpg

Back