Opinion What does a real hero look like?

It's hard to say. That's a difference between the movies and real life, sometimes you don't even know who shot who.
I was thinking that, that's why I stated it looked like it not that they did, the blood on his shirt seemed to appear once the cops started shooting though.

Officer Samuel Jimenez was killed in a shootout with the gunman in Chicago last night.

Some of those sherpas and climbers that go back up Everest/K2 to rescue other stranded climbers are pretty hardcore.

This is the guy who chased the Synagogue shooter back to his car, Oscar Stewart. There was also a border patrol agent name Jonathan Morales who called Stewart away from the shooter's car, and fired shots at the shooter as he drove away. But I cannot find a picture of him because he has not done any press.

“Get down!” and “I’m going to kill you,” Stewart said he yelled.

According to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, the suspected gunman fled the synagogue to a nearby vehicle. Stewart was in close pursuit.

"Stewart caught up to the vehicle as the suspect was about to drive away," the department said in a statement.

Stewart said he began punching the shooter's window when Morales told him to get out of the way.

"He yelled, 'Clear back, I have a gun,'" Stewart said. Then, Morales began firing. The off-duty agent hit the car, but the gunman drove away, police said. Authorities later arrested John T. Earnest, 19, along Interstate 15. A rifle was found in the front passenger seat, police said.

"Mr. Stewart risked his life to stop the shooter and saved lives in the process," the sheriff's department said in a statement.

hero.jpg

Naeem Rashid, 50, and his 21-year-old son Talha had been living in New Zealand since 2010.

Mr Rashid has been hailed as a hero on social media after being seen in a video of the attacks apparently trying to tackle the gunman at Al Noor mosque before being shot.

444783_3453282_naeem-rashid_updates.jpg

Tragically it wasn't successful, but I don't think that makes him any less of a hero as he clearly showed the emotional demeanor to br able to take direct action at great personal risk to himself to potentially save others. That makes him a hero in my book

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-47596816

190508-kendrick-castillo-cs-738a_858d92916d58680e9fce41b0659dfa8e.fit-320w.jpg

Kendrick Castillo. Rushed the school shooter in Colorado this past week, tackled him to the ground along with 2 other friends where they were able to disarm and subdue the shooter.

Kendrick's actions resulted in no one aside from himself dieing that day.

"You don’t have to be the hero," John Castillo told NBC News on Wednesday, recalling his words to his son, Kendrick Castillo.

But the younger Castillo, who hoped to study electrical engineering in college, rejected that advice, telling his dad he wouldn't think twice about acting to save others if ever face-to-face with an armed intruder.

"'You raised me this way. You raised me to be a good person. That’s what I’m doing,'" John Castillo quoted his slain son as saying.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1003476

Coach Keanon Lowe disarmed a student who had a shotgun in school. Took the gun, got the other students away, then gave the kid a hug. The kid was planning on killing himself in front of his classmates.

“The door opens. I’m within arm’s length of the door, about 3 feet away from the door, and there’s a kid with a gun ― a shotgun,” Lowe said. “In a fraction of a second, I analyzed everything really fast. I saw the look in his face, look in his eyes, looked at the gun, realized it was a real gun and then my instincts just took over. I lunged for the gun, put two hands on the gun.”

At one point the student yelled, “No one cares about me!”

“I care about you,” Lowe said, he told the magazine. When the teen questioned him, he responded, “I do, bro! That’s why I’m here. I got you, buddy.”

220px-Rick_Rescorla.jpg

Rick Rescorla

Responsible for saving thousands of lives during 9/11 attacks. A former vietnam veteran, he worked security for Morgan Stanley in one of the WTC buildings. He was convinced there would be another terrorist attack (after the one in 1993) and made sure staff did regular evacuation drills. During the 9/11 attack he refused a 'stay put' order and made sure everyone evacuate the building (singing old cornish songs as he led people down the stairwells). He was last seen alive running UP the stairs on the 10th floor. Only 3 people out of 2,687 employees died because of his actions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla

Jack Wilson, the concealed carrier who just shot and killed an attacker in a Church in Texas. Brave man, and a tremendously accurate marksman.

wilson.jpg

Each time there is some type of terror attack or mass shooting, there are normal people who become heroes and save lives. Sometimes they get a lot of attention, sometimes they don't. But they never seem to get the amount of attention that the murderers get. So this thread is dedicated to those heroes.

Spencer Stone, Alek Skarlatos, and Anthony Sadler thwarted a terror attack on a train.

Anthony Borges, the 15 year old who shielded some of his classmates and took several gunshots in Parkland High School.
anthony2.png

Peter Wang, killed in Parkland High School while holding the door for others to escape.
21JROTC1-SUB-master768.jpg

Steve Willeford and Jonnie Langendorf, the two guys who chased down the Texas Church shooter.
Texas-Heroes_REPUB_840x480.jpg

James Shaw, the guy who tackled the Wafflehouse Shooter.
f-waffleman-a-20180424-870x638.jpg

Anymore? Add them here.

I wildly approve of this thread.

And our media should be ashamed you had to make it.

Jack Wilson, the concealed carrier who just shot and killed an attacker in a Church in Texas. Brave man, and a tremendously accurate marksman.

wilson.jpg

Unfortunate the two other security officers were ambushed like that. Just read this fella is running for county commissioner - that’s a lock now.

Great thread.

Sad our media glorifies the villians more than the heroes.

It's hard to read through this thread without getting a little watery eyed.

Thanks to all these heroes and all the posters spreading the stories of these lesser known men and women who deserve it.

hats off to those guys, I tried cave diving once and that was not for me. Did a cave in central Florida that would make what these guys did look like an amusement park ride. That is some scary shit, if you've never scuba dived before let me tell you, the first time i put on a tank and went under in a pool I had a little bit of a claustrophobic panic attack, but got over it. The cave dive was supervised, marked and had a guide line and still you feel like everything is closing in on you. I couldn't even imagine doing that in a situation like that. Hats off to everyone that involved in that rescue.
Gawd, that Thailand kid thing is my worst nightmare. Both getting stuck down there with the kids and being on that rescue team.

I have a different form of claustrophobia and it kicks in hard when I scuba dive. But I scuba dive anyway. But I have to force my self by just going deep fast and leaving myself no choice but breath or die. i basically go through a drowning voluntarily, lol.

But I cannot stand not having control of my space. It is not so much the small space as it is the control of my space. Ability to come and go or move to areas of space when i need to.

Multiple Church groups, and random groups of volunteers are already hard at work cleaning up after the nationwide riots. They are cleaning the streets, clearing all the broken glass, and they are helping to clean stores that were looted. I'm sure they are making an insurmountable hole feel a little less hopeless for a lot of people.

There seems to be thousands of people helping. I just picked a random selection from the first few articles I saw:

EZRk5LsWAAAmCQu

EZRk5HkWsAQHGY-

IMG_9080.jpeg

EZRk5QgXgAA0IKW

merlin_2810405.jpg

img_1855.jpg

Last edited:
Back