What does everybody think of this mma style of capoeira?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

So I've watched this video quite a few times 2 years ago. I want to hear everybodies oppinions on this on this. Obviously we have had people in mma that trained capoeira. But we had no one who used capoeira like this.

So basically this guy marcus aurelio. He is able to avoid being hit and is able to use the capoeira jinga to more effectiveness.

But sadly this guy didn't make it far into mma, so everybody can give their oppinion, but I want to know from you guys stand point, do you think since this guy made pure capoeira go this far in mma, that if another practitioner could make it further into mma with pure capoeira?

(Just curious what everybodies oppinion on it is, obviously I have not trained capoeira, I did want to, but never really could and damn sure to have the time now, and yes I know this mma capoeira style takes more time to perfect then anything else, simply because you need both timing, speed and you need good distance control)

if fabricio werdum can land that flying kick on travis browne (which was awesome) then i guess pretty much any technique could be effective, like those capoeira kicks. but like anything, is it more of a high or low percentage technique? probably low percentage, but i think there is some value to throwing a really awkward/unorthodox strike at someone. plus the opportunity cost, if it takes 100 hours or however long to train that kick, that's 100 hours lost on boxing/wrestling/conditioning, etc. but imagine someone coming at you like this guy:

Fun to watch but not efficient ....

if fabricio werdum can land that flying kick on travis browne (which was awesome) then i guess pretty much any technique could be effective, like those capoeira kicks. but like anything, is it more of a high or low percentage technique? probably low percentage, but i think there is some value to throwing a really awkward/unorthodox strike at someone. plus the opportunity cost, if it takes 100 hours or however long to train that kick, that's 100 hours lost on boxing/wrestling/conditioning, etc. but imagine someone coming at you like this guy:

I would imagine if you were competing in mma but were taking a break from it or fail a drug test, that would be the perfect time to just focus on it.

Capoeira should be long down on the list of styles to cross train for mma or striking. Alone its useless.

BUT.. I did train capoeira for one year when i was in the army. Way back in 1999-2000.

One of my training and sparring partners was good in capoeira. So i trained just the pure techniques from the styles for one year. The kicks and ginga. I dont regret that at all.

Gave me some strange kicks that are harder to read for the typical text book kick/thai, or mma fighter. I even use the ginga now and then..look at Anderson silva vs cote.

So yes.. Not something to recomend if you want to get as good in pro fighting as fast as possible. But every kicking nerd should at least have tried capoeira.

Capoeira should be long down on the list of styles to cross train for mma or striking. Alone its useless.

BUT.. I did train capoeira for one year when i was in the army. Way back in 1999-2000.

One of my training and sparring partners was good in capoeira. So i trained just the pure techniques from the styles for one year. The kicks and ginga. I dont regret that at all.

Gave me some strange kicks that are harder to read for the typical text book kick/thai, or mma fighter. I even use the ginga now and then..look at Anderson silva vs cote.

So yes.. Not something to recomend if you want to get as good in pro fighting as fast as possible. But every kicking nerd should at least have tried capoeira.
I don't plan on training it anytime soon, were you stationed in Brazil? That's one of the reason I want to join the military for experiences like that.

Nope. This was in nothern norway. The guy had trained capoeira in france and norway.

He was not high ranked capoeira guy. But he knew the kicks and the movements. So it was enough to train after.

I wanted to do capoeira. But i did not want to waste my training hours learning how to play different instruments and sing in portuguese. So this was perfect for me

Nope. This was in nothern norway. The guy had trained capoeira in france and norway.

He was not high ranked capoeira guy. But he knew the kicks and the movements. So it was enough to train after.

I wanted to do capoeira. But i did not want to waste my training hours learning how to play different instruments and sing in portuguese. So this was perfect for me

That's cool, if I ever get in, that's the stuff I would enjoy in my free time.

frode pretty much nailed it.

anything can work but its more like a flashy one off type thing, we may never see something like that again for quite some time.

there is something usefull in every martial art, you just have to find it.

capoeira is alot like dancing more than anything, that being said i think some of the footwork, unusual kicks could work. However I think the movement and rythym of it would be great to learn, that could carry over into alot of stuff.

this movement right here, the first guy spinning etc, and then the movement of the 2nd guy. elusive tricky stuff. the spin kick is brutal. I have wanted to learn a bit of it.

frode pretty much nailed it.

anything can work but its more like a flashy one off type thing, we may never see something like that again for quite some time.

there is something usefull in every martial art, you just have to find it.

capoeira is alot like dancing more than anything, that being said i think some of the footwork, unusual kicks could work. However I think the movement and rythym of it would be great to learn, that could carry over into alot of stuff.

this movement right here, the first guy spinning etc, and then the movement of the 2nd guy. elusive tricky stuff. the spin kick is brutal. I have wanted to learn a bit of it.

Well when you learn it post a tutorial, and some drills to make it better, that would be real useful.

So I've watched this video quite a few times 2 years ago. I want to hear everybodies oppinions on this on this. Obviously we have had people in mma that trained capoeira. But we had no one who used capoeira like this.

So basically this guy marcus aurelio. He is able to avoid being hit and is able to use the capoeira jinga to more effectiveness.

But sadly this guy didn't make it far into mma, so everybody can give their oppinion, but I want to know from you guys stand point, do you think since this guy made pure capoeira go this far in mma, that if another practitioner could make it further into mma with pure capoeira?

(Just curious what everybodies oppinion on it is, obviously I have not trained capoeira, I did want to, but never really could and damn sure to have the time now, and yes I know this mma capoeira style takes more time to perfect then anything else, simply because you need both timing, speed and you need good distance control)

I trained capoeira for about 4 years after about a decade in other martial arts (mostly hapkido). Yes there is a great emphasis on moving well and being evasive, and many of the techniques have that 'did not see it coming' deceptiveness factor but as a whole it is very inefficient for rounds-based combat. This is down to the training methodology - short bursts of high energy are trained over developing stamina.

So if you only trained capoeira your energy systems wouldn't be as well equipped as another discipline. But training it was alot of fun and I would go back in a heartbeat were I younger.

Great response.

Capoeira alone seems like a huge waste of energy, which will take a toll in the later rounds. But if you can blend it in with solid basics and surprise your opponents - go for it!

I agree with @Frode Falch . I trained in it very briefly years ago. I couldn't imagine using it in a real fight but I found the dance sparring thing to be surprisingly helpful in settling my mind. And it requires real athleticism for some of those movements.

But yeah...way down the list of things to train for MMA.

I agree with @Frode Falch . I trained in it very briefly years ago. I couldn't imagine using it in a real fight but I found the dance sparring thing to be surprisingly helpful in settling my mind. And it requires real athleticism for some of those movements.

But yeah...way down the list of things to train for MMA.

I couldn't really see it in a real fight too. Then I saw this guy using it this effectively in the cage, but I would imagine it takes a little more then just knowing how to strike to use this style. You got to be very evasive too, and have distance control, a long with quick reflexes.

I always tell people though styles like these are useless unless mixed in with styles like kickboxing and muay thai.

Great response.

Capoeira alone seems like a huge waste of energy, which will take a toll in the later rounds. But if you can blend it in with solid basics and surprise your opponents - go for it!
Capoeira + heel hooks

8xraD.gif

It would be on par with showtime kicks and flying spinning hook kicks and cartwheel kicks. Something that can be used sparingly but not a style that can be used effectively on its own.

I’d argue a taekwondo or karate base would be 100x more effective.
Plus like everyone said it’s a huge waste of energy. Can’t land a huge homerun kick if you just keep spamming them

It would be on par with showtime kicks and flying spinning hook kicks and cartwheel kicks. Something that can be used sparingly but not a style that can be used effectively on its own.

Plus like everyone said it’s a huge waste of energy. Can’t land a huge homerun kick if you just keep spamming them

Yeah I agree, plus we've already seen how good a taekwondo and karate base is in mma. Their have been multiple champions who have those backgrounds.

True. You can have a Karate / TKD base with fast kicks and add decent boxing for a complete style. See Whittaker.

But if your base is Capoeira then good luck. :p

Back