What Does it Mean to Have Good Footwork?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
After coming to the hotel from Usyk vs Gassiev and seeing Usyk 120-108 Gassiev. I see Usyk having great movement.

But I read things before about his footwork (and of course Lomachenko's), but what makes it great?

Obviously has jab is one of his best tools, but he has busy feet too.

But what are the feats one must have, in order to be known to have good footwork? Never too close? Always moving? Feet always in the correct positions? not crossing over?

I like Cruz, but I think his footwork is too.. much, in order to do what he wants. Usyk can do all of this, yet he has excellent fundamentals in boxing.

Who else has good footwork? I think Dmitry Bivol does.

So, what makes Usyk's footwork so good?

Muhammad ali was very big on footwork had some of the best footwork for his time. My old instructor back when I was training with him in 2016 (he came to the gym in the spring and became an assistant instructor then a main instructor) he had a background in kickboxing (where he had a 5-1 record back in the day) an amateur boxing background (8-3) and he also knew jeet kune do he said that the footwork was one of the most important parts of fighting because it helps with avoiding punches and kicks, and attacking other opponents, hes the one who got me into getting really good footwork.

If you watch lomachenko, you'll see that he's able to get better tactical angles on his opponents when they try to t-off on him.

You look at Cruz (he is not the best example but a good example) he was able to tire guys out and confuse them while also knocking them down.

TJ dillashaw, is a really good example he was able to go for days but it wasn't just that it was also the fact that he could set up any punch or kick with his footwork.

Robin van roosmalen might not be the best example but his footwork helped out a lot with pressuring his opponents even ones that were bigger then him. But he was also able to avoid punches like that too.

If anyone has anymore examples you guys can carry it on those are the fighters that come to mind when I think of good footwork.

Footwork helps with pressuring, evading, getting a tactical advantage, confusing, and setting up attacks. That's what's so good about it and what makes it unique.

Using your feet to get in good tactical positions and out of bad positions, timing it right.

Both efficiently and effectively, <----not just one of those two qualities.

Footwork = transportation to and from danger. The better your transportation the more damage you dish and less damage you take.

Last edited:
What’s a good example of a kickboxer with good footwork, not mma

Using your feet to get in good tactical positions and out of bad positions, timing it right.

Both efficiently and effectively, <----not just one of those two qualities.

Sadly, efficiency is usually missing. There's lots of fighters with effective footwork in that they use it to get to where they need to be, but oftentimes they're taking 7-8 steps to do something that can be done in 1 or 2 steps. One of my former kickboxing coaches called it "happy feet" and it's stuck with me ever since. Annoys the hell out of me when fighters waste a bunch of steps.

Giorgio Petrosyan and Sam-A Giayanghadao. If you're not watching carefully you won't even notice their footwork, all you see that they're usually in a good position to both attack and defend against their opponents. Nothing fancy, no dancing or bouncing around, no running way out of range, no feinting from 10' away, they get to where they need to be with very little wasted motion.

Footwork = transportation to and from danger. The better your transportation the more damage you dish and less damage you take.

teleportation-portals-e1503521998522-796x408.jpg

Only trouble is punches to the back of the head are illegal in most organisations...........

Giorgio Petrosyan, Andy Ristie, most of the top guys really, keep in mind whats good footwork in kickboxing is a little different.

Aside from what has already been said fast footwork = fast hands. Look at Lomachenko, very fast feet and also very fast hands. The two go together.

Back