What does Max have to offer that Barboza didn’t?

brawlnsprawl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
We all saw how the fight with Edson Barboza went and IMO Barboza holds a superior skill set on the feet and on the ground. Only thing I can say Max has over Edson is heart but that’s only gonna prolong his destruction. At least we will get some more witty comments during the ground and pound from Khabib.

We're all just trying to make the best of it. Of course it isn't as good a fight as Ferguson, or even Barboza imo. But it's all we have, and I'm hoping against hope that Holloway uncorks a flying knee that ends this farce of a title shot in the 1st round

We saw a lot of heart on Barboza’s part in the Khabib fight but I get what you’re saying

a way better weapon to keep guys off of him then desperation spinning kicks.

he has a jab. under utilized, underused, and energy efficient. this punch alone can keep guys off you. whether or not Max can keep Khabib off him is a different story, but Max is definitely better on paper than Barboza.

better chin, better boxing, better movement, better distance control.

now the real thing is, does Barboza's power and size advantage make up for all those things i listed that Max is better at than him? that's the question.

We all saw how the fight with Edson Barboza went and IMO Barboza holds a superior skill set on the feet and on the ground. Only thing I can say Max has over Edson is heart but that’s only gonna prolong his destruction. At least we will get some more witty comments during the ground and pound from Khabib.

Max Holloway offers worse takedown defense (Conor - an irish striker took him down at will), far inferior striking, no jiu-jitsu or submission game whatsover (Dustin Porier tapped him out), and a less developed/lankier frame for Khabib to takedown

but he does offer heart and balls the size of which none of us have

does that answer the question?

Good boxing

Edson's strength is his kicks which he needs space for

Max's strength is his hands which can be effective in the small space Khabib is gonna force him to fight in

I still got Khabib but Edson and Max don't pose the same threat.

max has way better boxing, a way better chin, way better cardio, better wins, he's just plain better than barboza.

completely different fighters.

Max should

14330163_10154477032863416_6244013127599541358_n1.jpg

a way better weapon to keep guys off of him then desperation spinning kicks.

he has a jab. under utilized, underused, and energy efficient. this punch alone can keep guys off you. whether or not Max can keep Khabib off him is a different story, but Max is definitely better on paper than Barboza.

better chin, better boxing, better movement, better distance control.

now the real thing is, does Barboza's power and size advantage make up for all those things i listed that Max is better at than him? that's the question.
Better movement and distance control then barboza ? Lol what a joke barboza has great movement and he's super rangey max is good but come on

Max Holloway offers worse takedown defense (Conor - an irish striker took him down at will), far inferior striking, no jiu-jitsu or submission game whatsover (Dustin Porier tapped him out), and a less developed/lankier frame for Khabib to takedown

but he does offer heart and balls the size of which none of us have

does that answer the question?

Man, you’re using mmath and talking about fights that happened 5-6 years ago. Max is way better than he was against Conor & Poirier. I say he beats Poirier today all day long

Better all-around striking. Go back and watch Max's last fight against Aldo.

Being much smaller, for one...

Better movement and distance control then barboza ? Lol what a joke barboza has great movement and he's super rangey max is good but come on

i didn't say Edson is shit, i said Max is better.

everyone Edson lost to was because he couldn't control the distance on them and once they broke through his kicking range he went into full panic mode. Max doesn't go into full panic mode when guys get passed the kicking range, he reestablishes the range with his jab and footwork. that's why Barboza went to a decision with Pettis and Holloway TKO'd him. not because Max has more power, but because his ability to control the distance allows him to unleash more offense in the same time period Barboza had. Barboza could've finished Pettis too if he would put combinations together but he was too tentative to fight in the pocket.

distance control isn't about retreating when the guy comes forward, it's about keeping the guy right where you want him to be and where he doesn't want to be. Max is much better at that than Barboza.

Maybe better ring control, but I’m not sure it matters. But IF Max can somehow circle away fast enough, he should be golden. Again, I just don’t see it.

Volume, the ability to fight off the back foot, and a much stronger mentality than Barboza, who was running for his life with a visibly terrified expression on his face within the first 2 minutes of the fight.

Back