What exactly is an oblique kick?

MileHigher

AKA Mile-Hybrid
@Brown
Reaction score
As an admitted MMA novice I'm confused on what an oblique kick technically is. A friend was telling me that the opponent's actual obliques are the targeted area of the kick. If im not mistaken, the obliques are located where the leg meets the abdomen and considered part of the torso area more so than leg. That doesn't seem like a logical technique to me, especially considering the "oblique kicks" I've seen are clearly leg kicks. When I hear the term I think of Jon Jones kicking the knee area, hence the debate on whether or not it's a dirty tactic. Can someone clear this up for me? There doesn't seem to be a clear answer available anywhere else.

*If this is the wrong forum for this question I apologize. Wasn't 100 percent sure where to post itm

those two kicks to the body are oblique kicks aswell as the jones kick. I'm not sure why they are called that.

As an admitted MMA novice I'm confused on what an oblique kick technically is. A friend was telling me that the opponent's actual obliques are the targeted area of the kick. If im not mistaken, the obliques are located where the leg meets the abdomen and considered part of the torso area more so than leg. That doesn't seem like a logical technique to me, especially considering the "oblique kicks" I've seen are clearly leg kicks. When I hear the term I think of Jon Jones kicking the knee area, hence the debate on whether or not it's a dirty tactic. Can someone clear this up for me? There doesn't seem to be a clear answer available anywhere else.

*If this is the wrong forum for this question I apologize. Wasn't 100 percent sure where to post itm

Its a push kick and thats more or less it, if you want to get technical an oblique kick differs in that the knee is pointing outwards with the toes pointing outside of the target as the foot stops in. I'm not sure why Joe Rogan calls it an oblique kick, unless it was just that Jon Jones knee kicks were the closest thing to it - but Jones himself doesn't actually use that term, he just calls it a push kick to the knee.

Like Andy said, it's a type of push kick, but with the foot pointing outwards... Only seen it taught in savate, but don't know why they call it oblique kick, it has a different name there. I know that you can target the knee or just above with it, but also the hip to make your opponent stop and bend.

Edit: Found a clip about it that may help you:

From what iv been able to gather both Arize and Andy are correct in saying its basically a slightly modified front or push kick (knee and toes pointing out, more of a stomp).

Difference: Jones tends to hit the knee or lower thigh area (he says himself ''We call it push kick to the knees.'')

Larkin tends to actually aim at the body and near the hip or "oblique" area. It makes sense the monsoon kick would be called an oblique kick. (he calls it a monsoon push kick)
Around 1:00 in

Interesting. Thanks for the replies fellas.

D-uh......when you kick them in the obliques, of course.

those two kicks to the body are oblique kicks aswell as the jones kick. I'm not sure why they are called that.

Kinda reminds me of the Crescent Kick that Katsunori Kikuno used to deliver with devastating effects.

3460xw7.gif

MORE details:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/5/1387681/bloody-elbow-judo-chop-katsunori

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1908450-kicks-arent-going-anywhere-part-2-katsunori-kikuno

I think its called and oblique kick because those muscles are important for the one throwing the kick. Also the best spots to aim with it are, starting from the bottom, the top of the foot, like a stomp, the spot on your leg right above the kneecap, but before your quadricep, and the waist in the bend of the hip, sort of where the external oblique is, actually.
ab-muscles-anatomy.jpg

I think its called and oblique kick because those muscles are important for the one throwing the kick. Also the best spots to aim with it are, starting from the bottom, the top of the foot, like a stomp, the spot on your leg right above the kneecap, but before your quadricep, and the waist in the bend of the hip, sort of where the external oblique is, actually.
ab-muscles-anatomy.jpg

Wow.....you mean like a head kick is called a head kick because you're kicking them in the head.

Can you explain to me the reason it's called an arm punch, when you are not actually punching them in the arm......

Back