What finally worked for me

IX Micheal XI

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
First, let me state I'm not here to say this guy knows it all or that his ideas or right, but I also want to give credit where it's due.

The Slow Carb Diet as found in the book 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss

These are just the general guidelines, intended more for simple folk than those who actually understand nutrition.

RULE 1: AVOID "WHITE" CARBOHYDRATES
This includes rice (any), bread (any), cereal, pasta, potatoes, sugar, anything that's breaded
Only Exception is immediately post workout

RULE 2: EAT THE SAME FEW MEALS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I do repeat meals, but not like he calls for. His belief is simplicity is easier to follow.

RULE 3: DON'T DRINK CALORIES.
Duh, but I was guilty of sugar in my coffee and the occasional Dr. Pepper.

RULE 4: DON'T EAT FRUIT.
Exceptions are Avocado's and Tomatoes. Idea is that the fructose in fruit is converted to fat more efficiently than other carbs.

RULE 5: TAKE ONE DAY OFF PER WEEK.

This makes it all bearable. No holds barred, pizza, gyros, fried onions, rolls.

Other notes: no dairy.

Essentially a low carb plan. Diet ends up being centered around meat, beans, and veggies. He doesn't recommend calorie counting, and I've found no need. Hard to get enough anyways. I've tried low carb and the keto diet before and haven't had much luck, but I think it's been harder to stay consistent without a full cheat day.

So far I've dropped from 234 on 1/1 to 208 on 2/24 for a total of 26lbs without strength loss. I just posted this so others can see it and comment on it. Opinions are welcome. I'll post some typical eating days sometime. I also have a workout log (fairly new) if anyone wants to look.

some dedication right there man . i drink and eat like crap so good luck keeping it up man!

Not counting calories is fine and all, but there will be a time when your weight loss stops and you are going to need to re-evaluate and start focusing on how much energy the foods you are eating have in order to keep losing.

Not counting calories is fine and all, but there will be a time when your weight loss stops and you are going to need to re-evaluate and start focusing on how much energy the foods you are eating have in order to keep losing.

I understand that. I'm hoping to get down to 10% BF without counting calories. I'll just have to see where it takes me. When I do stall, I'm planning on sticking within the plan and modifying as necessary.
Posted via Mobile Device

+1. Counting calories is necessary once you are trying to push the envelope with your fitness but not all people have to count calories to get in shape, although I highly recommend you get in the habit of doing it.

I agree with everything for the most part especially the cheat day. Its actually proven, that a fluctuation in calorie intake once a week will actually improve fat metabolism. I personally would do just a meal but I would go all out. Every Thursday night I would go with my wife to Applebees and I would get a 2for$20 for myself (app and 2 entr

I know. What a load of shit.

Its definitely not a 'load of shit'. Some people are hyper sensitive to fructose. Some people arent. But as the TS disclaimed - it worked for him. Dont hate, congratulate.

Its definitely not a 'load of shit'. Some people are hyper sensitive to fructose. Some people arent. But as the TS disclaimed - it worked for him. Dont hate, congratulate.

Processed sugars are one thing, eating unaltered fruit is another (there's a difference between a fuckin' candy bar and a banana).

I defy you to name a single person who ever got fat eating apples.

Dieting can be complex, but the basics of eating healthy are pretty common sense:

Processed foods are no bueno.

Raw, natural, organic, unrefined stuff is the way to go.

Avoid dairy.

Too much of anything can be bad.

Edit: Apologies if my post comes off as hostile.

Last edited:
Congrats on your progress dude. How long did it take to go from 234 to 208?

Just under 2 months.

As to the fruit, I used it as a staple in previous attempts with no luck. Now I usually drink a cup of fruit juice on Saturdays and eat some various kinds throughout the cheat day.

I should have stated the goal of MY diet is strictly fat loss with the maintenance of strength. I'm not currently training mma or my carb intake would probably shift to allow for prolonged activity.
Posted via Mobile Device

I always see calorie counting, but exactly how much calories should I be eating?

I always see calorie counting, but exactly how much calories should I be eating?

BMR calculators and Activity calculators are a good reference. You need to know your lean body mass/body fat but its good to help understand what does and what doesnt effect your progress.

Processed sugars are one thing, eating unaltered fruit is another (there's a difference between a fuckin' candy bar and a banana).

I defy you to name a single person who ever got fat eating apples.

Dieting can be complex, but the basics of eating healthy are pretty common sense:

Processed foods are no bueno.

Raw, natural, organic, unrefined stuff is the way to go.

Avoid dairy.

Too much of anything can be bad.

Edit: Apologies if my post comes off as hostile.

I dont know about any one getting fat eating fruit, but I do know plenty of people who are struggling to lose weight eating fruit which is what this thread is all about. Why would you suggest to avoid dairy(besides being lactose intolerant)?

First, let me state I'm not here to say this guy knows it all or that his ideas or right, but I also want to give credit where it's due.

The Slow Carb Diet as found in the book 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss

These are just the general guidelines, intended more for simple folk than those who actually understand nutrition.

RULE 1: AVOID "WHITE" CARBOHYDRATES
This includes rice (any), bread (any), cereal, pasta, potatoes, sugar, anything that's breaded
Only Exception is immediately post workout

RULE 2: EAT THE SAME FEW MEALS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
I do repeat meals, but not like he calls for. His belief is simplicity is easier to follow.

RULE 3: DON'T DRINK CALORIES.
Duh, but I was guilty of sugar in my coffee and the occasional Dr. Pepper.

RULE 4: DON'T EAT FRUIT.
Exceptions are Avocado's and Tomatoes. Idea is that the fructose in fruit is converted to fat more efficiently than other carbs.

RULE 5: TAKE ONE DAY OFF PER WEEK.
This makes it all bearable. No holds barred, pizza, gyros, fried onions, rolls.

Other notes: no dairy.

He doesn't recommend calorie counting, and I've found no need.

Lmao... This guy is certainly no genius. Well I guess he is if you believe that he's not making rules that will effectively reduce your calorie intake. :( This shit isn't magic; just another sales pitch. Unfortunately for you, you can do all the above and still lose weight. :icon_lol: Hell you could eat ice cream all fucking day long, as long as you put yourself into a deficit, you're gonna lose weight.

Does he know a couple things about nutrition? Sure. Just enough to manipulate you into buying a book.

I have the book myself and just started the diet on monday. Figured i'd give it a shot since it's fairly close to how i already eat and seems simple to follow. So far i'm enjoying it. The meals i've made so far are super easy to cook, tasty and super cheap. There's a case in the book where a guy following the diet spent something like 60 bucks total for a month's groceries. As a broke college student with no cooking skills (and no time to cook) this is right up my alley, lol. We'll see how it turns out.

Anyway, i wanted to point out that the diet is maybe 10% of the book. There's also chapters on exercise, both for hypertrophy and for strength without size, improving your running technique, upping your testosterone, uberman sleep cycles, you name it. Believe me, he's done his research for all of it, and tested most of it on himself. It's from the same guy who wrote the 4 hour workweek. Worth a look.

in short, the diet is great. i have been doing it for over 2 months. so many positives and i have not had any negatives at all. easy to follow as well.

Lmao... This guy is certainly no genius. Well I guess he is if you believe that he's not making rules that will effectively reduce your calorie intake. :( This shit isn't magic; just another sales pitch. Unfortunately for you, you can do all the above and still lose weight. :icon_lol: Hell you could eat ice cream all fucking day long, as long as you put yourself into a deficit, you're gonna lose weight.

Does he know a couple things about nutrition? Sure. Just enough to manipulate you into buying a book.

Too bad for him I know just enough about the internet to get the book for free!

Just going to post some Examples. I'm now using My Fitness Pal app on my phone since I'm now tracking calories.

3/21/11 Was working nights, so my meals are reversed.

Breakfast:
Fajita Meat (Flank Steak) marinated in Allegro Hot n Spicy
Steamfresh Broccoli & Califlower
Hidden Valley Ranch

Lunch:
Hamburger - 2 patties 80/20 about 1/3lb each
Bleu Cheese Crumbles (2oz)
French Fried Onions (2 Tbsp)

Dinner:
3 Organic Eggs
4 Slices Applewood Smoked Bacon

Kcals: 2273
Fat: 146
Carbs: 28
Protein: 191

How long did it take for the loss stated in your first post?
Can you list an example of a regular meal plan for one day and state your workout routine?

Thanks

How long did it take for the loss stated in your first post?
Can you list an example of a regular meal plan for one day and state your workout routine?

Thanks

The weight loss from my first post was 26lbs in right at 2 months (234 to 208), from new years to the end of February. I'm sure quite a bit was water weight, because I actually dropped 10lbs in the first 10 days.

I've started counting calories in mid March when my weight loss seemed like it was stalling. 205 has been the lowest I've seen.

Typical Meal Plan

Breakfast:
3-4 Strips of thick cut Bacon
2-3 Fried Eggs

Lunch:
Usually either a Chipotle Burrito Bol (no rice, double steak or barbacoa)
or a
Greek Salad (no pita)
or a
Smoked Turkey Salad

Dinner:
Pork Chops or Steak or Hamburger (just some form of meat)
Broccoli or Green Beans or Mixed Greens

Try to eat beans at least once a day or every other day. I plan on posting some more examples of my meals later, it's just been very irregular lately.

As for exercise, see my log. I just lift heavy 6 days out of the month, and do some light cardio and different days (~6 days a month as well)

Back