What Grappling Arts Condition You the Most?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know it can be different in each country, city and even club.

In my opinion it is Judo; my club has roughly a 30 minute warm-up which requires flexibility and to use our core. We roll, bridge, different break-falls, uchi-komi, nage-komi, cartwheels, half-cartwheel then spin and spring to your feet etc (I don't know how to call it in English). After this, we go over techniques for around 30 minutes (tachi-waza and ne-waza). We then have roughly have 15-20 minutes of simulation (where we make a bad attempt at a technique and uke goes to turtle; we must turn them over for osaekomi or submit them without much resistance).

Our last 45 minutes consist of around 75% ne-waza sparring and around the same with tachi-waza randori.

Wrestling class is also like that. We start up with movement and warm-up by light wrestling, working techniques and moving each other out of position with shooting (without finishing). This lasts around 45 minutes, the next 45 minutes are spent by going over teaching materials and getting reps in. The last 30 minutes are spent with some simulation matches, around 80% matches which includes ground work: turn overs and pinning too.

Thoughts?

anecdotally:

Wrestling

then Judo/Sambo

then Sumo

then BJJ

wrestling

then judo.

Looking at it in the way that you described is going to vary from gym to gym so why not try to figure which grappling art will condition you the most by competing and live training in the actual art? In that case its got to be freestyle wrestling. If youre training and competing within the Olympic rules then freestyle has to offer the most comprehensive type of workout. The leg attacks, the throws, sprawling, gutwrenches, par terre defense, the pummeling, the low stance, etc. Id think judo would be close but leg attacks are gone now correct?

Wrestling or judo, in slightly different ways.

Looking at it in the way that you described is going to vary from gym to gym so why not try to figure which grappling art will condition you the most by competing and live training in the actual art? In that case its got to be freestyle wrestling. If youre training and competing within the Olympic rules then freestyle has to offer the most comprehensive type of workout. The leg attacks, the throws, sprawling, gutwrenches, par terre defense, the pummeling, the low stance, etc. Id think judo would be close but leg attacks are gone now correct?
I do train in both, but namely compete in Judo now, rather than freestyle.

I haven't trained much Greco at all, but I would have to figure that Greco must rank highly; all the pummeling that leads to nothing, and having to do it until scoring with something..

Judo does take quite a lot of energy out of me for the two hours I train it (and freestyle too), but I usually feel a little more alive after Judo.. maybe because it is on a Friday evening (and Sunday morning) lol, and wrestling is on Monday evenings (and Wednesday evenings), and both of them are my main studying days.

Both are great for conditioning though, I love training both.

Basically impossible to assess independently of competitive level.

I do train in both, but namely compete in Judo now, rather than freestyle.

I haven't trained much Greco at all, but I would have to figure that Greco must rank highly; all the pummeling that leads to nothing, and having to do it until scoring with something..

Judo does take quite a lot of energy out of me for the two hours I train it (and freestyle too), but I usually feel a little more alive after Judo.. maybe because it is on a Friday evening (and Sunday morning) lol, and wrestling is on Monday evenings (and Wednesday evenings), and both of them are my main studying days.

Both are great for conditioning though, I love training both.
You must be a monster grappler. Is that you in the avatar? It kinda looks like a Georgian flag.

Wrestling hands down. The reason why I would put wrestling over judo is that a lot of your training is geared toward getting ready to compete, which means getting you in the best shape. Almost every wrestler in America is going to get in 30 or matches a year. Thats every single guy in the sport, which in America is about 600,000.

From a training only standpoint, I dont see any difference between how judoka and wrestlers train for the most part. The competition volume and frequency is the main difference.

I know it can be different in each country, city and even club.

In my opinion it is Judo; my club has roughly a 30 minute warm-up which requires flexibility and to use our core. We roll, bridge, different break-falls, uchi-komi, nage-komi, cartwheels, half-cartwheel then spin and spring to your feet etc (I don't know how to call it in English). After this, we go over techniques for around 30 minutes (tachi-waza and ne-waza). We then have roughly have 15-20 minutes of simulation (where we make a bad attempt at a technique and uke goes to turtle; we must turn them over for osaekomi or submit them without much resistance).

Our last 45 minutes consist of around 75% ne-waza sparring and around the same with tachi-waza randori.

Wrestling class is also like that. We start up with movement and warm-up by light wrestling, working techniques and moving each other out of position with shooting (without finishing). This lasts around 45 minutes, the next 45 minutes are spent by going over teaching materials and getting reps in. The last 30 minutes are spent with some simulation matches, around 80% matches which includes ground work: turn overs and pinning too.

Thoughts?

I think it really depends on the level of performance and competition moreso than the style. I've been in Judo clubs full of high level competitors that go through vomit-inducing training sessions, and I've been in Judo clubs where kata-ballerinas only get physical when they try to close their gi jackets. It's largely the same for everything else.

If I had to bet money on someones conditioning based solely upon what they trained the most, I'd bet on wrestlers, solely on the fact that there are very few recreational wrestlers.

Wrestling hands down. The reason why I would put wrestling over judo is that a lot of your training is geared toward getting ready to compete, which means getting you in the best shape. Almost every wrestler in America is going to get in 30 or matches a year. Thats every single guy in the sport, which in America is about 600,000.

From a training only standpoint, I dont see any difference between how judoka and wrestlers train for the most part. The competition volume and frequency is the main difference.

I would agree if we are talking all competitors in the US. Take out kids and I bet Judo and wrestling look similar. I don't know a lot of hobby wrestlers in the US. In Japan it would be Judo for the same reason Holt listed wrestling for the US. Lots of youth Judoke in Japan competing. Correct?

What kind of conditioning? Overall, wrestling likely edges out judo, but judo athletes were found to have the highest peak power output in a study a little bit ago. Anyone recall it? I’m having trouble finding it on my phone.

You must be a monster grappler. Is that you in the avatar? It kinda looks like a Georgian flag.
Lol, no, that is Olympic silver (2012) and gold (2016) medalist, Vladimer Khinchegashvili.
Wrestling+Olympics+Day+14+ajG9bnS0Ou2l.jpg

I am Russian, but Khinchegashvili is my favorite wrestler.

i've actually been thinking of switching over from bjj to wrestling. what can i expect?

i've actually been thinking of switching over from bjj to wrestling. what can i expect?
Why don't you post your lame shit on your real account?

What kind of conditioning? Overall, wrestling likely edges out judo, but judo athletes were found to have the highest peak power output in a study a little bit ago. Anyone recall it? I’m having trouble finding it on my phone.

Yeah i remember. I wanna say the research team was brazilian and the upper body peak anaerobic power was WTFbonkers in the olympic judoka.

Wrestling>Judo because Judo has traditionally more emphasis on refined technique that's part of Japanese culture.

Rasslers don't give a shit if it's pretty and just get it done.

That said, the worst infraction you can commit is puking on the mat in the Japanese eyes, you'll get a slap on the back and praised for good work if you puke down you gi from old guard visiting instructors.

Summer camp sessions are that intense, guys regularly turn gray and book to the bathroom or have to sit out. I've had the unfocused spots in front of my eyes, heart beat in my ears and rubber legs too many times to count but never tossed my cookies.

And the dehydration body cramps plus the midnight leg cramps that scare the shit out of my lady?

Let alone the sprains, bruises muscle and tendon tears and surgeries?

Jesus Christ I miss it!

Almost back, almost back!

LOL!

Back