What happend to Miguel Torres?

The little guys don't have a very long prime. Once the speed starts to dip, time is limited. I had him beating D-Johnson.

I've also heard it discussed that he has shedloads of unsanctioned fights.

He has fought in bars around Chicagoland/NW Indiana that were unsanctioned. Shonie Carter and others did the same back 10+ years ago. There was a story about one where he fought, then had to go out to the parking lot and wait for his teammates to fight because he was under 21.

He beat the best guys at that time. He hasn't held up and neither have those guys, but they still were the best guys at that time.
That's the thing, the best guys back then weren't exactly great fighters. Which means the competition was a lot easier.

Most of the time in MMA the guys who were the best 5-7 years ago aren't the best anymore, that's how it works.
Not necessarily true. There's a ton fighters who've stayed at the top of MMA for 5-7 years or more.

He was the best at that weight in that time and now other guys are better, simple as that.
True, but back then the talent pool was way less deeper than it is now.

**People shouldn't shit on fighters because they didn't beat guys that didn't exist when they were in their prime.
No ones shitting on Torres, we're being honest. Again, the level of talent at 135 lbs. when Torres was the best wasn't as the same level there is at the top now.

People need to refuse revisionist history, the best guys then were the best guys, they just aren't anymore.
Right and yet again, the best guys back then weren't at the same level of the best guys now.

Also I just remembered, Shooto had a 132 lbs. division in Japan which I'm sure had many better fighters than the ones Torres was fighting in America back then, so he wasn't exactly fighting the best competition there was in the division. he was fighting the best competition available for him to fight though.

The great migration of fighters from 155->145->135->125 as the UFC has introduced new weight classes has made the pre-existing rankings much less relevant over time.

I think it's as simple as he aged. If you watch his latest fights in WSOF he is constantly reacting slightly too slow against the younger opponents. Always getting hit just before landing, getting his guard up just after being hit, etc.

If he wants to keep fighting that's cool but his days of seriously chasing a title are over in my opinion.

one of the worst falls in mma history. Dont know what happened to the guy but he fell and fell fast. Kinda sad really.

He;s a good fighter, no doubt, but he had a really padded record prior to his ufc days.

Mentally it's hard to keep the discipline, focus, motivation, confidence, and drive to be the best. Physically your body gets older and run down the more you fight.
Thus fighters inevitably decline. =(

It's just one of things. With a style like his, he was never going to stay on top as he got older. Not to mention the crazy number of fights he had early in his career. I don't care who you're fighting, that shit takes a huge toll on your body.

He also has top-notch wins, regardless of the era, against Maeda, Mizugaki, Beebe, Mighty Mouse etc.

People didn't figure Torres out, his body just gave out.

He also has top-notch wins, regardless of the era, against Maeda, Mizugaki, Beebe, Mighty Mouse etc.
The fight with Maeda is one of the most overlooked and best fights ever. I think a lot of newer fans should check that fight out.

He won a controversial split decision which many fans thought he lost against Mizugaki in another very good fight.

He lost to Mighty Mouse.

miguelsrpevan2.jpg

This

The fight with Maeda is one of the most overlooked and best fights ever. I think a lot of newer fans should check that fight out.

He won a controversial split decision which many fans thought he lost against Mizugaki in another very good fight.

He lost to Mighty Mouse.

Come on man, the only three people in the world who think Mighty Mouse won were judging the fight.

He was champ at a bad time in the division and the game passed him by...............like Fedor.

Will always remember his epic fight with Mizugaki in WEC.

"DOUBLE FOOT LOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Come on man, the only three people in the world who think Mighty Mouse won were judging the fight.

Not really but I suppose that's irrelevant to the fluff job.

Torres was phenomenal during the WEC but I think it was a bad time for him where he was declining and younger talents were coming up. The move to Tri Star didn't seem to do him any favors either; made him more of a safety first fighter who couldn't get out of his own way.

Probably a mix of too many wars, 135ers becoming more well rounded and faster, while Torres speed and reflexes diminished. Still one of my favorite fighters to watch, and he deserves credit for helping bring the 135lb division to peoples attention.

Back