What happened to Renan Barao?

Burnt out. Fighting a lot when you’re younger isn’t always a good thing. It’s like how Joe Stevenson went out of his prime in his early 20s.

Well, when you think about it..what else did he really do apart from having Urijah’s number and winning an interim belt that Cruz wasn’t around to dispute?

Not saying Jorgenson, Wineland, McDonald, etc arent good work but not anything that any decent BW cant string together on a hot streak

He was never P4P . It’s just hype used to create buzz for a guy who otherwise isn’t getting any. He was never on Aldo’s level. Plus, the book got written on him. Opponents know his weaknesses and exploit them. He’s still fighting in a class he has to cut too much weight for and 6-7 years passed.

Too big for 135 too small for 145. Psychological damage from the two TJ beatdowns

What the hell happened to him?

He went from a super dominant sniper on the feet with a solid ground game to can't seem to win a fight.

He's different from someone like Ronda, whereas anyone with half a brain knew that she was dominant primarily due to the lack of talent in her division at the time.
Barao was a legit badass. Fought some solid dudes and wrecked them, now he can't buy a win.

What are your thoughts on his downfall?

USADA, psychological, was always overrated etc.
Overrated? lol

I'm gonna take a guess here and say he has 40 fights and was Champ for a while training at the top level. ..USADA or not fighters tend to fade.

talk to me when TJ or Conor or whom ever you deem has had 40 fights

And Renans style is that of a brawler and those types of fighters don't tend to last long without "suppliments"

Nunes has shored up her cardio issues but Pennington isn't that good. She arguably lost to Bethe ffs. The division isn't in any better shape. The only newcomer to make an impact is Shevchenko and she just left.
Pennington also arguably beat Holly, who trashed Ronda.

USADA took away what little skill he did have. Dude never impressed me even when he was champ. Lost a lot of rounds in my book.

He looks vintage every fight for the first round or so, his cardio is terrible, once he starts opening his mouth he litterally losses all footwork and ability to punch.

His chin is the only thing that has saved him from being kod in his last couple fights.
Stephens hit him with two huge uppercuts that should have decapitated him, don't even remember the guy who beat him last night but barao took some serious shots in that fight.

Excellent post.

This is exactly what happened.

Overrated? lol

I'm gonna take a guess here and say he has 40 fights and was Champ for a while training at the top level. ..USADA or not fighters tend to fade.

talk to me when TJ or Conor or whom ever you deem has had 40 fights

And Renans style is that of a brawler and those types of fighters don't tend to last long without "suppliments"
Barao is not a brawler? Lol wut.

Anyways, I never claimed he was overrated. Reading comprehension bruh.
I was asking for people's thoughts and put out some suggestions or predictions.
I do not think he was ever overrated at all.

Some good fighters are not that great without roids. Like him, Vitor Belfort, or Robbie Lawler.

Nothing happened, that's his problem. Other fighters got better, and newer and better fighters started to take over, but he mostly remained the same. He moves his feet more now, but that's about it. Barao's skills are stuck in the late 2000s or early 2010s at best.

Pretty much this.

Huge number of fights and very little evolution of his game plan.

Needs an American wrestling camp.

No one worries about his TDs.

Barao is not a brawler? Lol wut.

Anyways, I never claimed he was overrated. Reading comprehension bruh.
I was asking for people's thoughts and put out some suggestions or predictions.
I do not think he was ever overrated at all.
Your telling me a guy you plants his feet and throws hooks is not a brawler style?

He cut out the juice from his diet. Said it was to sweet for him.

Your telling me a guy you plants his feet and throws hooks is not a brawler style?
He moves a ton and throws mostly straights and kicks from the outside. Have you ever watched him fight?

python-snake-bite.jpg

Back