What happened to Stuart Cooper ?

2arctanx

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He was the next big thing in BJJ media coverage, been very silent the last 2-3years. I remember on youtube he threatened to kick my ass a few times. good lad.

1) His girlfriend (?) at the time of the Ice bucket Challenge suggested that people should do the Ice Bucket challenge and give the money to Stu for his films, rather than to ALS research.

2) The whole thing with Roy Dean...some kinda girl drama....Roy talking about his interest in Pickup Artists....it was weird.

2) The whole thing with Roy Dean...some kinda girl drama....Roy talking about his interest in Pickup Artists....it was weird.

So creepy pick up and aikido masters are no match for roided out photographers.

giphy.gif

1) His girlfriend (?) at the time of the Ice bucket Challenge suggested that people should do the Ice Bucket challenge and give the money to Stu for his films, rather than to ALS research.

The whole Roy Dean thing was weird. Roy initially seemed like a weirdo obsessed with one of his students, but when Stu came out with his statements, he came off like a petty and childish moron. Made Roy look like the bigger person.

Then his girlfirend’s ice bucket challenge was icing on the cake.

I already didnt like Roy's voice so I just used my confirmation bias to write him off after all that came out

The whole Roy Dean thing was weird. Roy initially seemed like a weirdo obsessed with one of his students, but when Stu came out with his statements, he came off like a petty and childish moron. Made Roy look like the bigger person.

Then his girlfirend’s ice bucket challenge was icing on the cake.

best part was when stuart got his verdict from his lawyer

What’s sad is Roy kind of lost it for a while I think. He lost his school and seemed like he drifted around. I don’t know where he went or what he did. I know he is making videos again and instructionals.

I never was a fan of his but I respect him as a martial artist. He did that whole PUA thing, but I think he is just an akward nerd that doesn’t know how to act or approach women. So this was his way of trying to meet women. I don’t know the guy but that was the impression I had.

Wait he lost his school?!?

What’s sad is Roy kind of lost it for a while I think. He lost his school and seemed like he drifted around. I don’t know where he went or what he did. I know he is making videos again and instructionals.

I never was a fan of his but I respect him as a martial artist. He did that whole PUA thing, but I think he is just an akward nerd that doesn’t know how to act or approach women. So this was his way of trying to meet women. I don’t know the guy but that was the impression I had.

Yeah. He had a school in Oregon I believe. He left it to another student that rebranded it after that fallout. It was a strange series of events and I didn’t understand why he left his school like that. I guess the whole Stuart Cooper thing just messed things up for him.

Yeah. He had a school in Oregon I believe. He left it to another student that rebranded it after that fallout. It was a strange series of events and I didn’t understand why he left his school like that. I guess the whole Stuart Cooper thing just messed things up for him.

That sucks. Running a martial arts school as a business is a brutal job IMO. Not a fan of Roy’s, but I hate to see guys struggle.

That sucks. Running a martial arts school as a business is a brutal job IMO. Not a fan of Roy’s, but I hate to see guys struggle.
Yeah. As I said I’m not a big fan. I don’t really like his kata jiu jitsu or his mentor Roy Harris, but the whole ordeal just kind of made me sad for him.

He was the next big thing in BJJ media coverage, been very silent the last 2-3years. I remember on youtube he threatened to kick my ass a few times. good lad.

I don't think this was ever delivered

He always came across as mentally disabled. The Roy Dean thing was really bad for both of them. The ice bucket incident was just horrible, but given his IQ, perhaps a misunderstanding on him and his girlfriends behalf.

Hi

He's filming the Kregg Jones from Absolute MMA in Thailand at the moment
Have a nice day and Porrada

He sold his physical location, but he still has affiliates around the world.

I wouldn’t say he “lost” the school, but he probably felt it was a smarter business decision to sell the school. Making videos and running his affiliate program has next to no overhead and is probably more lucrative.

I think more significant was that he revealed himself to be a hack filmmaker: he would just recycle the same rolling footage over and over with the same 'profound' music and boring soundbyte from somebody he clearly just interviewed for like fifteen minutes

Not sure what turns you off about Roy Dean. His instructional videos are informative easy to listen to. I ALWAYS recommend his Blue Belt Fundamentals to all newcomers to our academy. Contrast that with Bernardo Faria's instructionals. Good stuff but I want to stick an ice pick in my ears after listening to him for more than 1 min.

Roy's weirdness is nothing compared to some Brazilians I've been exposed to. Everything is "disrespectful". Look at the idiosyncrasies of Ryan Hall and compared to Danaher he's a gem.

Maybe there's a back story that I'm missing besides the Roy/Stuart drama?

Last edited:
Back