What happened to WTF Taekwondo?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
I am not a Taekwondo guy. Only TAekwondo I trained was literally more than 20+ years ago, and that didn't last long at all, though I for some reason still remember training it, I guess it left a bit of an impression on me to say the least.

I was just trying to check out some recent good taekwondo matches, WTF mind you, since ITF looks like to me probably just like any other karate match, I 'm sure there could be differences though personally I know not, but I don't know if it was just the guy's style or whatever, but it looked like they were playing literally playing footsies or whatever, almost they are just trying to touch the other guy with their front foot only, in a wierd non-violent way.

I was going through the lists of comments and saw that some talk about the rule changes leading to this and that, but you know people complain about rule changes too in other sports like wrestling and judo or what not, but I googled anyways, and it looks like WTF taekwondo changed their rules and they not have electronic scoring system, and in one article I saw that, it could possibly encourage people to protect their chest gear and trying to hit the other guy with their front foot, which is pretty much what I observed, but I am still not sure if it was the norm or the exception, or something that happens once a while, especially the rule and gear change is supposed to try to make the sports more popular, and those style of matches will certainly, without a shred of doubt, will turn people away from the sports rather than drawing them in.

watch

[yt]

So, all your sherdog bros who train in WTF taekwondo, not in Mcdojo's, or even that, what happened to WTF taekwondo?

Last edited:
I am not a Taekwondo guy. Only TAekwondo I trained was literally more than 20+ years ago, and that didn't last long at all, though I for some reason still remember training it, I guess it left a bit of an impression on me to say the least.

I was just trying to check out some recent good taekwondo matches, WTF mind you, since ITF looks like to me probably just like any other karate match, I 'm sure there could be differences though personally I know not, but I don't know if it was just the guy's style or whatever, but it looked like they were playing literally playing footsies or whatever, almost they are just trying to touch the other guy with their front foot only, in a wierd non-violent way.

I was going through the lists of comments and saw that some talk about the rule changes leading to this and that, but you know people complain about rule changes too in other sports like wrestling and judo or what not, but I googled anyways, and it looks like WTF taekwondo changed their rules and they not have electronic scoring system, and in one article I saw that, it could possibly encourage people to protect their chest gear and trying to hit the other guy with their front foot, which is pretty much what I observed, but I am still not sure if it was the norm or the exception, or something that happens once a while, especially the rule and gear change is supposed to try to make the sports more popular, and those style of matches will certainly, without a shred of doubt, will turn people away from the sports rather than drawing them in.

watch

[yt]

So, all your sherdog bros who train in WTF taekwondo, not in Mcdojo's, or even that, what happened to WTF taekwondo?

This is @spacetime 's niche. I know he gets alot of shit, and rightfully so, but I'm sure he could write a book on this topic if he wanted.

I would love to know as well. I did TKD from 98 to 05 and there were lots of knockouts and headhunting. When I watch the Olympics now it seems completely different, like they are playing foot tag.

Super old TKD right around the introduction to the Olympics.

Full contact trying to hit kidney and solar plex shots through the chest protectors and take your guys head off.

This stuff looks very different and I can see where it was going to this which is why I switched to Kickboxing.

WTF happened to Taekwondo. :p

This is @spacetime 's niche. I know he gets alot of shit, and rightfully so, but I'm sure he could write a book on this topic if he wanted.
WTF are you talking about?
spacetime's niche is 1-2 second clips of him kicking air in his bedroom.

WTF are you talking about?
spacetime's niche is 1-2 second clips of him kicking air in his bedroom.
Yeah but I get the feeling he has studied the history of taekwondo more than actually training it.

spacetime was never my friend (nor pupil)
<{danayeah}>
And the standup was not a "subforum of trolls" before he came along. You wanna continue his work or what?

No need to do that , there are plenty of trolls here. @spacetime made this subforum a little more worthy.

watch

[yt]

New rule set and technology ruined the sport. It all started when they ruled that touching the head with your foot (instead of applying force to the head with a kick) would be enough to score points. Meaning you just need to be flexible to score and technique is not required. Then they switched to the electronic protectors, where you again do not necessarily have to kick with proper technique, but just "apply pressure" which results in sloppy milking of the technology rather than applying the actual technique. Then you have the ridiculous video replay where they check in slow motion if a guy actually touched the other guys ear with his pinky toe.

A lot of tkd people are appalled by the current state of the sport calling for the return of the old school rule sets and scoring. None of the 'elite' guys nowadays would stand a chance with the old rule sets. Everything just has gotten slow and sloppy. Ugh..

New rule set and technology ruined the sport. It all started when they ruled that touching the head with your foot (instead of applying force to the head with a kick) would be enough to score points. Meaning you just need to be flexible to score and technique is not required. Then they switched to the electronic protectors, where you again do not necessarily have to kick with proper technique, but just "apply pressure" which results in sloppy milking of the technology rather than applying the actual technique. Then you have the ridiculous video replay where they check in slow motion if a guy actually touched the other guys ear with his pinky toe.

A lot of tkd people are appalled by the current state of the sport calling for the return of the old school rule sets and scoring. None of the 'elite' guys nowadays would stand a chance with the old rule sets. Everything just has gotten slow and sloppy. Ugh..

Sad. That's why I don't want Karate in the Olympics.

Back