What if Jon Snow's mom was a "nobody"?

Iirc, he said he tries to not let predictions sway what he writes one way or the other.

Good the, he is smart for that. It's better for storytellers to block out fan speculation or fan theories. Only hacks keep track of fan speculation and let it influence their writing...like purposely changing original plans just because a few fans predicted it.

So Jon Snow was born of a penis? I know women are scary but.

How do you think the reaction would be to that? Outrage? Division with one side saying "Hey it's your fault for speculating so much with your fan theories"

Let's say the twist is that Jon Snow's mom was just some random hooker Eddard Stark spent a night with.

That would have been about as disappointing as 'The Last Jedi.'

id want to fill the room with uppercuts if that was true

It's because she is so OP w/ little to no training. I'd be ok with her being just a random girl if she wasn't this powerful.

Then some are upset because they see it as a retcon - JJ planned for her to have a "very significant" lineage according to his best friend Simon Pegg.

In the canon novels they say she gained her force skills by "downloading" them from Kylo Ren. who cares about training?

"I know Force."

GloomyNearCricket-size_restricted.gif

Actually part of me thought: "I wonder if D&D will NOT go that route just to subvert the fans' expectations" - which would have been dumb

No you didn’t. Snow’s parentage was revealed in 2016, way before the Last Jedi came out and Rian Johnson’s “subverting fans’ expectations” basically became a meme.

You may have thought that maybe they wouldn’t go R+L=J, but you certainly never thought about them “subverting expectations”.

How do you think the reaction would be to that? Outrage? Division with one side saying "Hey it's your fault for speculating so much with your fan theories"

Let's say the twist is that Jon Snow's mom was just some random hooker Eddard Stark spent a night with.

And the theme is: Bloodlines don't matter. Anyone can achieve greatness, even people with low social status like bastards.

How would you feel about that?

A good blood line is required for greatness. I myself don’t associate with anyone who doesn’t have a pedigree they can trace back to 15th century nobility.

I haven't read the books and started watching Game of Thrones. The clues I saw to Jon's lineage were;
Jon has black hair.
Ned had no reason not to tell Jon who his mother was if Jon was his son.
Ned telling Jon that he was a Stark so one of his parents had to be a Stark.
Ned's sense of honor and duty made it unlikely he would have a bastard.
Robert Baratheon professing his love for Lyanna.
Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna.
Targaryens have white hair.
Starks have brown hair.
Baratheons have black hair according to the books that Ned was reading.
Roberts bastards have black hair.
Cersei telling Catelynn about her and Roberts first born "Black haired boy".

Those clues led me to believe that Jon was Lyanna's son and that she died giving birth.
Ned didn't want to reveal that his sister had given birth to a bastard.
Ned thought that Jon might have been Rhaegar's child and Robert would kill his nephew so he lied and claimed Jon was his bastard.

What I didn't know from the show was that Lyanna had been with Rhaegar for over a year.

Jon's hair should have been white or at least a very light brown.

I'd have loved it. I love seeing fanboys get all pissy over nothing.

No you didn’t. Snow’s parentage was revealed in 2016, way before the Last Jedi came out and Rian Johnson’s “subverting fans’ expectations” basically became a meme.

You may have thought that maybe they wouldn’t go R+L=J, but you certainly never thought about them “subverting expectations”.

Yes I did. "Subverting expectations"...AKA "Surprising the viewer" has always been a thing.

Who came up w/ the idea that "subvert expectations" is unique and new? It's like....one of the most common tropes in storytelling. Only you do it to serve the story, not just for the sake of it. That's easy. To do it in an interesting way is the challenge.

They did it in The Empire Strikes Back w/ "No I am your father". They did it in 1968 Planet of the apes "OMG...I've been on Earth this whole time...."

So yes, I did think about the possibility of D&D, showrunners of a TV but not authors of the books, would make a decision just to shock audiences before TLJ came out.

Last edited:
Back