What if the NRA went away?

Someone discounting or discrediting your opinion =\= totalitarian behaviour imposed by the state.

Your attempt at a "gotcha" failed miserably.
No gotcha, just thought it was cute. By the way, wanting gun control = / = totalitarian behavior imposed by the state.

Lol. You guys are trying to get a lot of mileage out of that one ad. It's melodramatic, but I'm not particularly bothered by it. It's silly to claim that the NRA is like a radical, violent religion based on this.

Radical imams incite people to violence. Can you show where the NRA does anything similar? Can you point to any NRA fatwas calling for the blood of elected officials they oppose?

The only one I see fear-mongering here is you.

What do YOU think this NRA ad is attempting to use metaphors to say?

They use their media to assassinate real news. They use their schools to teach children that their president is another Hitler. They use their movie stars and singers and comedy shows and award shows to repeat their narrative over and over again. And then they use their ex-president to endorse “the resistance.”

All to make them march. Make them protest. Make them scream racism and sexism and xenophobia and homophobia. To smash windows, burn cars, shut down interstates and airports, bully and terrorize the law-abiding — until the only option left is for the police to do their jobs and stop the madness.

And when that happens, they’ll use it as an excuse for their outrage. The only way we stop this, the only way we save our country and our freedom, is to fight this violence of lies with the clenched fist of truth.

I’m the National Rifle Association of America. And I’m freedom’s safest place.

The NRA's favored party controls all branches of government, yet they still have to drum up the wars against "liberals" by telling their members there is some sort of "war" being waged.

Wayne La Pierre and the NRA is literally calling for its members to pick up arms against a variety of paranoid enemies.

“Hurricanes. Tornadoes. Riots. Terrorists. Gangs. Lone criminals. These are perils we are sure to face — not just maybe. It’s not paranoia to buy a gun. It’s survival. It’s responsible behavior, and it’s time we encourage law-abiding Americans to do just that.”

And that any of these things will be the catalyst for the government or liberals or something coming for you

A heinous act of mass murder — either by terrorists or by some psychotic who should have been locked up long ago — will be the pretext to unleash a tsunami of gun control.

The NRA is a soft recruitment tool for far right radical extremism.

Lol. You guys are trying to get a lot of mileage out of that one ad. It's melodramatic, but I'm not particularly bothered by it. It's silly to claim that the NRA is like a radical, violent religion based on this.
You can be intellectually dishonest about it but there is no hiding what the agenda of that ad is. It is attacking liberals and calling for violence. The NRA isn't a violent religion, they are a violent political organization. Why do they not care about liberals gun rights? It has to do with a culture war they want to wage on anyone who cares about social issues.

To be clear though I don't really care that much about them. I think that too much has happened for the NRA to go away and after Sandy Hook didn't result in gun control I am certain nothing will. America has long since moved passed the moral question of whether owning a gun is more important than dead children. I'm quite sure the NRA will thrive for a long time.

What do YOU think this NRA ad is attempting to use metaphors to say?

The NRA's favored party controls all branches of government, yet they still have to drum up the wars against "liberals" by telling their members there is some sort of "war" being waged.

Wayne La Pierre and the NRA is literally calling for its members to pick up arms against a variety of paranoid enemies.

And that any of these things will be the catalyst for the government or liberals or something coming for you

The NRA is a soft recruitment tool for far right radical extremism.

Again, you're the one fear mongering here. If you could actually connect the NRA and "far right radical extremism" then you'd have my attention.

I don't think support for a right enshrined in our Constitution for 200 years is radical. I don't think that support is particularly right wing and certainly not far right. It's a moderate, mainstream view that individual US citizens possess the constitutional right to bear arms.

The NRA isn't a violent religion, they are a violent political organization.
Who have they violently attacked? What murders or assaults can be attributed to them, directly or indirectly? Do NRA members commit more violent crimes than the public at large?

The NRA is not a violent political organization. This is a fact.

You can be intellectually dishonest about it but there is no hiding what the agenda of that ad is. It is attacking liberals and calling for violence. The NRA isn't a violent religion, they are a violent political organization. Why do they not care about liberals gun rights? It has to do with a culture war they want to wage on anyone who cares about social issues.

To be clear though I don't really care that much about them. I think that too much has happened for the NRA to go away and after Sandy Hook didn't result in gun control I am certain nothing will. America has long since moved passed the moral question of whether owning a gun is more important than dead children. I'm quite sure the NRA will thrive for a long time.

Here's an email the NRA sent out telling their members that they are in a fight for their lives and the "gun ban lobby" is out to "make you pay".

YOU AND I ARE NOW IN THE FIGHT OF OUR LIVES TO DEFEND OUR FREEDOM.

The gun-ban lobby and their cheerleaders in the media are blaming you for the actions of society's sickest and most depraved criminals.

They say YOU need to PAY – with YOUR FREEDOM. And they're coming after NRA and the Second Amendment with everything they've got.

TODAY I NEED YOUR STRONGEST SUPPORT MORE THAN EVER BEFORE.

So please, if you haven't already, renew or upgrade your NRA membership right now through our one-time special offer that expires March 7th. You'll receive a generous discount off your dues, as well as a free gift to express my most sincere thanks.

Access your account right here, then use your membership number [redacted] to redeem your discount and receive your gift.

We can't save our gun rights in the critical days and weeks ahead without YOUR help. PLEASE let me hear from you NOW!

THANK YOU.

Wayne LaPierre
Executive Vice President
National Rifle Association of America

Who have they violently attacked? What murders or assaults can be attributed to them, directly or indirectly? Do NRA members commit more violent crimes than the public at large?

The NRA is not a violent political organization. This is a fact.
Well the NRA can't attack anyone being that they are an organization, much in the same way that, lets say Christianity can't attack people but Christians can. If you're asking for examples of NRA members who were clearly inspired by their rhetoric I guess Timothy McVeigh will work.

They are a soft recruitment tool that starts planting the seeds of extremism.

Yes, so you keep repeating. All I'm asking you to do is substantiate this hypothesis by providing evidence of extremists who were incited to violence or brought into extremists groups by the NRA or its rhetoric.

Here's an email the NRA sent out telling their members that they are in a fight for their lives and the "gun ban lobby" is out to "make you pay".
They aren't very subtle about all this...

Yes, so you keep repeating. All I'm asking you to do is substantiate this hypothesis by providing evidence of extremists who were incited to violence or brought into extremists groups by the NRA or its rhetoric.

I have substantiated it by posting their extremist propaganda that they bombard their members with. But you fail to acknowledge it because it sounds like their propaganda is working on you. The NRA is a "gateway drug" to radical conservatism.

Yes, what a terrible world it would be if industry lobbies went away.

I have substantiated it by posting their extremist propaganda that they bombard their members with. But you fail to acknowledge it because it sounds like their propaganda is working on you. The NRA is a "gateway drug" to radical conservatism.

Lol. What radical positions does the NRA take? Claiming that the Second Amendment allows individuals the right to bear arms is a moderate position.

Also, in what way is their allegedly radical propaganda working on me? I'm far from an extremist.

No gotcha, just thought it was cute. By the way, wanting gun control = / = totalitarian behavior imposed by the state.

It is when it's in blatant violation of the Bill of Rights of that Nation.

“An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject,”.

It is when it's in blatant violation of the Bill of Rights of that Nation.

“An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject,”.
And that's why I'm in favor of changing the constitution through a legal process.

Obviously the NRA going away would drop the national level of batshit-fuck-crazy, considerably. Short-term, at least.

Oh Lord, that is just horribly naive.

Hundreds of millions of dollars of lobbying money is going to have an enormous impact no matter how few voters interests are effected by it. Most of our tax code, as well as a lot of other legislation, is written at the behest of lobby money, and it benefits virtually no one other than the large corporations throwing out the dosh.

If you actually look it up, you'd see that the NRA gives a small, paltry amount when compared to other lobbyist's.

Their power comes from the millions of Voters who vote according to the NRA's grading system:

https://www.nrapvf.org/grades/

This is how the NRA dominates Republican primaries.

Back