What is it like to be knocked out?

I got KO'd as a kid. Play wrestling in the snow, and ended up getting accidentally DDT'd on ice. It was basically like getting put out by a surgeon. All you really remember is waking up.

Was gonna say that when i got put to sleep for surgery in September it felt like i closed my eyes and then woke up seconds later, and imagine that's what getting KO'd is like.

I imagine it's like getting rocked hard just more intense. So basically isntead of losing your senses for 1 second you lose your senses for +5 and fall to the ground. It's not so much pain but more like shocking knowing you damaged your brain. Blunt head shots feel different from sharp pain of something like getting a bruise or cut.

I did get tkod in sparring by a liver shot. If I wanted to I could of shrugged it of and kept going, hurt. But I opted to sit down and take a break. Since it was just training. It sort of hurts more sharp, organ pain, and takes away your will.

So luckily I never got really knocked out ever. Just rocked a bunch of times. Longest was like 4 shots on the ropes and I literally couldn't defend myself neither see anything. I couldn't move my body during the shots. When the combo ended I was fine. Wasn't too painful. But that's subjective. When you get hit hard your vision just goes black for a split second and you can't control anything. Usually it's just a moment and you can continue normaly.

It was probably 2009...

I must have been training for 3 or 4 months and was very vocal about wanting to be a fighter, so I'd always ask my teacher about when he was going to let me fight. Looking back I understand why he did what he did, but I definitely don't agree with doing this with a beginner, aspiring fighter. Ok... So one day he decided to put me sparring against a 155 guy who was preparing to have his pro debut. I must've been 120lbs or something. What I remember is falling on my butt and immediately starting to unwrap my hands. Not like "I'm done with his shit", but just automatically. Then I learned I got hit with an overhand, but I don't remember any of it. People who were at the scene told me I was acting like I was in another world. After I unwrapped my hands I started to dress in my clothes like putting my pants over my shorts and my shirts over my sweat-drenched jerseys lol then I started asking the same questions over and over again like, I would pick my shoes and ask everybody around me "are these mine?" like multiple times. From what I've been told my teacher asked the fighter who KO'd me to go with me to the bus terminal and so he did. Then he told me I was walking the street like I was drunk or drugged so he had to hold my hand hahahha when I finally got to the bus terminal he put me inside my bus and Idk how I was able to pay for the trip back home, but apparently I did. I did the worst and slept inside the bus and only woke up with the guy who collects the tickets shaking me and saying "yo, wake up mfker! It's the end of the line". I'm very lucky that this was exactly where I was supposed to drop from the bus.

Now I'm at the street, 3 blocks from my house and I don't know how to get there. I don't know how much time I was there wandering and looking around, but I finally got home and went straight to my room to sleep again.

So the next day my dad is banging at my door telling me I'll be late to work. I wake up with a taste in my mouth so terrible as if I had make out with a corpse. I'm also sweaty as a mofo because I had pants, shorts, underwear, socks, and two shirts in my body.

I was so lost that when I picked my phone and saw what day it was I was in complete shock that it was my birthday hahaahhahaha I went to the bathroom and saw my upper lip looking like a chorizo. It had an infected looking cut inside.

After taking a shower I went to the kitchen and my dad saw me and said "ouch! Someone really hit you" and that was so hard to hear that I started crying. I mean, like a toddler. Crying to the point where I couldn't articulate a phrase. It was like all the doubt that plagued me came like a thousand bulls running over me. I was a rollercoaster of emotions which I couldn't handle. My dad also always hated that I wanted to be a fighter and shit... But he did support me in the moment and calmed me down.

So I went to work (I worked at a call center) and started to wonder what happened, so I called my teacher and asked him. He was very evasive about giving me any details, he was just like "well, I think we should give more time before you can go to a tournament" but when I asked him "who" and "how" he wouldn't told me. Shitty fucking move. But I'm over it. Apparently I haven't become (very) mentally ill so it's whatever. I reckon he did everything he did because he didn't know any better.

Another shitty side effect is that I was VERY depressed for a couple days, probably weeks. Like, I had an existential void, for real. Nothing made me excited, nothing made sense those days.

Anyway, so that's the story of when I got knocked out and had my worst anniversary lol

Ps: years after that and I've sparred that guy again. Made him quit with a liver shot he he he...
Sounds like you've been sparring Mike Tyson.

Some real horror stories in this thread.

I always felt bad about hard sparring that it will make me more mentally unstable then I was back then. I only cared about my brain health not any other damages. Also why I was the only one of the regulars never competing. Did get talked into taking one opening ami boxing match. Opening as in exhibition, real fight but no scoring. At least I have the jitters of debut out the way since then. Like 14 years ago. I was pretty scared not gonna lie. Felt like being deporeted to a war. Surreal making the drive. And I was so sore that morning. Preperation was pretty stupid. Fight went well.

And I can relate to crying over failling a sparring session. Cried twice. Was young and stupid. But cried at home in bed, alone. Lol. How am I gonna be a K1 champion if some random guy at the gym beat me at sparring today. Well 17 year olds logic. And the other time was cause I froze up during a sparring session that day. Instead of thinking it was just a bad day, I was thinking I'm a pussy and cried. Lel.

So yeah guys, if any of you guys has any experience with this and are willing to share your story and any lessons you’ve learned for it, that would be really cool.
Do you think you would have won the fight if you didn’t get caught?
How bad did it hurt?
What is the worst part about other then losing? Embarrassment, loss of confidence? Chin cracked?
Do you think there were any positive additions to your fighting style that came from a knockout defeat? I would think bouncing back from that as specifically the most mentally solid thing one can do in mma
tumblr_mysigcdtI71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

I remember sparring this guy we called Big Chris. Young strong athletic with thick wrists. I remember the jarring thud feeling of him hooking my head. He was stronger and more skilled and I couldn't keep him off me. Next thing I knew, I was kinda crouched on the ground. My coach thought I slipped but my lights went out for a split second. I remember feeling kinda panicked and a little emotional after that. Chris looked disappointed that we were already done. He was such a monster. He could have turned pro if he kept training.

It was probably 2009...

I must have been training for 3 or 4 months and was very vocal about wanting to be a fighter, so I'd always ask my teacher about when he was going to let me fight. Looking back I understand why he did what he did, but I definitely don't agree with doing this with a beginner, aspiring fighter. Ok... So one day he decided to put me sparring against a 155 guy who was preparing to have his pro debut. I must've been 120lbs or something. What I remember is falling on my butt and immediately starting to unwrap my hands. Not like "I'm done with his shit", but just automatically. Then I learned I got hit with an overhand, but I don't remember any of it. People who were at the scene told me I was acting like I was in another world. After I unwrapped my hands I started to dress in my clothes like putting my pants over my shorts and my shirts over my sweat-drenched jerseys lol then I started asking the same questions over and over again like, I would pick my shoes and ask everybody around me "are these mine?" like multiple times. From what I've been told my teacher asked the fighter who KO'd me to go with me to the bus terminal and so he did. Then he told me I was walking the street like I was drunk or drugged so he had to hold my hand hahahha when I finally got to the bus terminal he put me inside my bus and Idk how I was able to pay for the trip back home, but apparently I did. I did the worst and slept inside the bus and only woke up with the guy who collects the tickets shaking me and saying "yo, wake up mfker! It's the end of the line". I'm very lucky that this was exactly where I was supposed to drop from the bus.

Now I'm at the street, 3 blocks from my house and I don't know how to get there. I don't know how much time I was there wandering and looking around, but I finally got home and went straight to my room to sleep again.

So the next day my dad is banging at my door telling me I'll be late to work. I wake up with a taste in my mouth so terrible as if I had make out with a corpse. I'm also sweaty as a mofo because I had pants, shorts, underwear, socks, and two shirts in my body.

I was so lost that when I picked my phone and saw what day it was I was in complete shock that it was my birthday hahaahhahaha I went to the bathroom and saw my upper lip looking like a chorizo. It had an infected looking cut inside.

After taking a shower I went to the kitchen and my dad saw me and said "ouch! Someone really hit you" and that was so hard to hear that I started crying. I mean, like a toddler. Crying to the point where I couldn't articulate a phrase. It was like all the doubt that plagued me came like a thousand bulls running over me. I was a rollercoaster of emotions which I couldn't handle. My dad also always hated that I wanted to be a fighter and shit... But he did support me in the moment and calmed me down.

So I went to work (I worked at a call center) and started to wonder what happened, so I called my teacher and asked him. He was very evasive about giving me any details, he was just like "well, I think we should give more time before you can go to a tournament" but when I asked him "who" and "how" he wouldn't told me. Shitty fucking move. But I'm over it. Apparently I haven't become (very) mentally ill so it's whatever. I reckon he did everything he did because he didn't know any better.

Another shitty side effect is that I was VERY depressed for a couple days, probably weeks. Like, I had an existential void, for real. Nothing made me excited, nothing made sense those days.

Anyway, so that's the story of when I got knocked out and had my worst anniversary lol

Ps: years after that and I've sparred that guy again. Made him quit with a liver shot he he he...
Yo that sounds like a hella bad concussion lol. Dude had 35 lbs on your skinny body. Probably threw the overhand right from hell.

not full KO, but saw the stars and time seemed to slow down. also, i was kinda melancholic on my way home for some reason.

Yeah, after that I've read a lot about the subject and seems like having your emotions all weird is a normal symptom of having a concussion.

Years later I've got rocked at the gym again but didn't go down, just ate a couple shots, got dizzy for a couple seconds and kept sparring. Then I'm at my friends house, I accept some puffs from a joint (Which I almost never do), go stoned and starter feeling nauseous. So I go to the bathroom and next thing I know I'm at the ground, and his mother is yelling his name asking for help. I passed out, destroyed the door of their bathroom when I fell and almost faceplanted. Jiu Jitsu saved my life, because muscle memory made me do the ukemi and use my arms to protect my face lmao

I'll never know if it was the weed or having my head bashed in earlier. I absolutely don't miss being young and stupid, tho lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back