What is the cause for so many injuries all of a sudden?

flowoftruth

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Side Q : If ufc paid their fighters fairly would there be less injuries?

Currently most of the roster have half of their pay predicated on whether they win their bouts. The thought process being that they need to be kept hungry so that they are motivated to fight harder. At the same time, if they win vs lose lifechanging money is on the line , so that hunger is pushing a lot of guys to overexert themselves in training camps also.

What is the cause for so many injuries all of a sudden?

Higher pay.

If Brian Ortega was at risk of being evicted from a $300 studio apartment with community bathroom, I guarantee you his ass would have fought a roided-up Brock Lesnar on 30 seconds notice.

But when fighters have tens of thousands of dollars or more in savings, they can afford to decline fights.

If you want fighters to fight and make weight consistently, decrease fighter pay.

Yes. They’d also have better trainers and better “gear”.

Not to be that guy but peds do help with prevention of training injuries.

Fighters overtraining, not training smart, acting tough in the gym...

Eez normal

'All of a sudden'?

2012 and 2014 were injury ridden as fuck, nothing new here.

Well I think maybe a lot has to do with improper training. But who knows, I feel like in the world of today people really write off a fighter after just a couple of loses and not many people buy excuses like 'I was hurt coming in' so maybe in the past fighters were not neccessarily getting hurt less but maybe not pulling out of fights due to niggling injuries and fighting on because of lower avg pay per fight for them thus needing more and more ring time a year, + less risk in a few loses writing you off as a top contender.

Fighters are probably faking injuries (paying off doctors to sign fraudulent medical exam disgnosis’) because they aren’t timing their cycles well and won’t be clean in time for the day of fight drug test, I bet.

Side Q : If ufc paid their fighters fairly would there be less injuries?

Currently most of the roster have half of their pay predicated on whether they win their bouts. The thought process being that they need to be kept hungry so that they are motivated to fight harder. At the same time, if they win vs lose lifechanging money is on the line , so that hunger is pushing a lot of guys to overexert themselves in training camps also.

i think before even asking this we need to determine if there are more injuries than previously or not...

otherwise we are debating something that might not even be true

The UFC is quick to let fighters go...even big names like McDonald, Nelson, Bader, Davis, etc. This creates a cloud of uncertainty and insecurity in your position with the company. Knowing that one bad performance can get you cut makes you wary of fighting when you're not at 100%.

As fans were to blame as well. A fighter can go from GOAT contender to "overrated bum in a weak division" overnight. Just ask Stipe. Would you risk fighting when you're not at your best under those circumstances?

theres a theorey that ufc is doing its own testing but not telling anyone. but they warn a fighter to pull out b4 usada busts em

Nah it's fighters use to fight with the same injuries they are pulling out for.

theres a theorey that ufc is doing its own testing but not telling anyone. but they warn a fighter to pull out b4 usada busts em

I was/am 100% convinced this happened with Lesnar that time he fucked off to Canada and pulled out of UFC 131. Diverticulitis the given reason but the whole thing was fishy as fuck.

Failing the “at home drug test” then being like “oh im hurt, im out”......

Fighters are probably faking injuries (paying off doctors to sign fraudulent medical exam disgnosis’) because they aren’t timing their cycles well and won’t be clean in time for the day of fight drug test, I bet.
Exactly, you beat me to it. The "injuries" are used in a variety of ways, but basically to "cover" for things like a poorly timed cycle as you mentioned, or they have been unmotivated and not training much and phoning it it when they do train and then they hear some insider info that their opponent is training like a beast and making huge strides/gains in their camp so they want to protect their record/job, or finally if they are vying for a bigger match up. I always thought it was kind of suspicious that Max was too hurt to fight Frankie for the belt, but in less than a month he accepted a fight against a BEAST that is in a weight class 10lbs higher than where he was the champ.

Basically it is a "little known" extra bargaining chip. I always imagine it is used most when they hear they are about to be tested(since it happens to most fighters much LESS than we imagine, and there is no time to do anything but "gracefully postpone/cancel the fight before getting the associated punishments and public flogging that comes along with PEDS...even though Everybody is on steroids aka Nate Diaz.

Back