What is the most bad ass family dog I can have?

sfblue

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
We have a black cat and a 5 year old daughter... Are bully breeds completely out even if raised from a pup? Are terriers in general not suitable for a youngster and cats? I'd like a breed that is durable and somewhat athletic. Labs are cool but I've heard they sometimes won't even bark when the doorbell rings. I don't need a guard dog, but a dog that at least sounds the alarm and/or puts on a show would be nice if there were ever a home intruder. It seem all these type of dogs also have higher prey drives making them less suitable for a home with a house cat or small child. What say you (sher)dog people?

Pitbull - I raised her since pup and had her for almost 2 years now

She's loyal, strong, friendly and playful.

She loves kids and everyone who meets her instantly falls in love

Mountain mastiffs.

They can live outside like its nothing, big strong yet like teddy bears.

I have a pitbull/black lab cross and she barks and shit. I also have three cats and the cats beat her up and she doesn’t do anything. Idk if I’d put her around children tho. Needs more training imo.

A dog that barks whenever the doorbell rings or someone visits is going to be annoying as fuck. And unless you live in a high crime area completely unnecessary.

Bernese Mountain Dog. A little dumb, but fun, friendly, sweet and big and cuddly. A child's best friend. Golden retriever or golden lab is also an awesome choice.

German Shepard. I have a white shepard and shes cool too. Basically a german shepard with more style points. ( white hair is a pain though)
images-196.jpg

German Shepherd. Great with kids, intimidating to would-be burglars, smart as hell.

Just make sure you get the hips checked out, and the parents shouldn’t have that retarded sloping back.

Pitbull - I raised her since pup and had her for almost 2 years now. She's loyal, strong, friendly and playful. She loves kids and everyone who meets her instantly falls in love.

Indeed, I volunteer at a shelter for animals and have rescued all sorts of dogs. Pit Bulls can be very aggressive or very friendly. It is the way they are brought up that dictates the results. Much like people. Young children should be careful around any dog. Some dogs can get aggressive with kids if they feel they are being mistreated.

What do you want the family to do or be responsible for?

What is your experience with dogs and are you willing to take it to some training?

German Shepherds are great dogs, and pretty intimidating to most people.

Bully breeds ain't shit. They're not that badass, they're deformed and can't move properly. A GSD would fuck their shit up and is way more intimidating to people.

We got 2 Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies and at 5 months old they're 65-70lbs. They're bred to be African farm dogs and lion hunting dogs and they'll get up to 120lbs. Not as smart as a GSD though.

I have a pitbull/black lab cross and she barks and shit. I also have three cats and the cats beat her up and she doesn’t do anything. Idk if I’d put her around children tho. Needs more training imo.

At the same time? Thats weird..

Back