What is the most bad ass family dog I can have?

Is this idiot actually trying to say selective breeding isn't a thing?

No, this 'idiot' is trying to counter another idiot's claim that the environment has nothing to do with violence. Seems like the second idiot can't keep track of the argument.

We had 2 chihuahuas (gf's dogs) that she had raised from pup. Other than that I've never had a dog personally, but been around quite a few in my life. The chihuahuas were already adult dogs by the time she moved in with me, so I didn't get to train them much myself. Honestly I would prefer a dog that I could train myself rather than deal with schools. I am pretty good at researching and can be pretty strict so I don't see why I couldn't do it on my own. My girlfriend is a dog lover and that would be my biggest obstacle is her spoiling the dog when I'm not around or her being more lax with the training regime. She doesn't want a young puppy, because of the difficulty, but I insist that if we get a medium-large breed we need to start with a pup for the safety of our child and cat.

Just do legit research before you commit to one.

Many "working" breeds benefit highly from formal training. Just don't do the Petco/Petsmart bullshit.

A lab, retriever, etc you can get away with self training fairly easily because they don't have the drive that the working breeds do and negative consequences associated with it, if you aren't managing them perfectly.

As important as training the dogs is teaching the kids. Kids shouldn't go bug doggo while they are eating, play unsupervised with a toy driven dog, hit grab etc the dog while playing.

A lot of kids get bit due to their own misbehaving. Downside with a working breed, pit and the like is yhat bite can be severe and life changing if its to the face.

DBA5E43C-E886-4BB3-A08F-CE0E53A961F6.jpeg
His name is Bounty the Basset hound

We have a black cat and a 5 year old daughter... Are bully breeds completely out even if raised from a pup? Are terriers in general not suitable for a youngster and cats? I'd like a breed that is durable and somewhat athletic. Labs are cool but I've heard they sometimes won't even bark when the doorbell rings. I don't need a guard dog, but a dog that at least sounds the alarm and/or puts on a show would be nice if there were ever a home intruder. It seem all these type of dogs also have higher prey drives making them less suitable for a home with a house cat or small child. What say you (sher)dog people?

Dude I highly recommend getting a mastiff. I posted photos of my Italian mastiff (Cane Corso), in the the other dog thread, but mastiffs sound exactly like what you want.

I think your daughter is the perfect age to get a puppy Mastiff as a pet and train it to listen to her and be her best friend. They are really large dogs, so they don't get hurt easily by children and would make someone think twice about fucking with your daughter. Plus, they are extremely loyal and family oriented dogs. The dog would grow up knowing it's boundaries with her as far as how rough it can play, and it would be her best friend.

My girl and I plan on getting another mastiff for our child when we finally have one. Don't let the did fool you, they are huge teddy beers and are super gentle with family. Having a dog as a kid is a really great experience and I big one is the best type. You don't want some pussy little rat dog.

And growing up around the cat, the dog should be properly trained to treat the cat with respect.

You could have something like this!

bca15319d504d8dc1730062f7dd39a86.jpg

0c117ef4821c165f17394ed6ad007c48--neopolitan-mastiff-real-friends.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like you and 'Curmudgeon' like to say 'just stop' a lot. Yeah, that is a real good come back answer buddy. That way you can avoid the real issues. Usually saved for those who have lost the argument or can't argue to start with.

Just stop.

A plow horse having the physical attributes to beat selectively bred horses isnt dispelling anything. Training isnt going to overcome genetics. That horse had what was needed to win in its dna, otherwise you could take a donkey to belmont with the right training.

Horse racing/jumping relies mostly on physical traits, a pit's disposition and propensity to attack/fight is mental.

Hmmmm , " they'll bite for no reason and are just high strung"

I thought it was 100% " all in how you raise them " ? Isn't that the go to for you guys?

I think I'm gonna head down to the pound and pick me up
I don't think your 'Nazi' gene argument holds much water. Your language alone proves you are an idiot. Yeah, you are the dog breeding expert alright. Did you learn it on YouTube? Did you major in Biology? Here you go, watch this documentary which destroys your 'gene-breeding' theory. Get back to me when you finish.

"With only a strong will and a cheap horse, Harry sets out to become a champion show jumper. He developed a transformative relationship with a broken down Amish plow horse he rescued off a slaughter truck bound for the glue factory. Harry paid eighty dollars for the horse and named him Snowman. In less than two years, Harry & Snowman went on to win the triple crown of show jumping, beating the nations blue bloods."

Rhodesian Ridgeback
10-fly.jpg

The first thing people notice about the Rhodesian Ridgeback is usually the characteristic ridge that runs down his spine and gives him his name. The ridge reveals part of his heritage, which is a mix of European hunting dogs and African dogs who had the distinctive ridge.

They also notice his strong athleticism, noble carriage, and the intelligence in his eyes. The history of the breed only adds to his allure; owners are often asked, "Did they really hunt lions?"

The answer is yes, the Ridgeback was developed in Africa to corner and hold big game prey, such as lions, bears, and boar. Today, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is still used for hunting, and some members of the breed have even adapted to pointing and retrieving. The Rhodesian Ridgeback can also be found competing in various dog sports, including agility, lure coursing, obedience, and tracking, and he's a good hiking or jogging companion.

As a pup, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is active and exuberant, but he matures into a dog with moderate exercise needs. Give him a vigorous walk or game of fetch a couple of times a day, plus a chance to run in a safely fenced area a couple of times a week, and he'll be satisfied — at least in terms of physical exercise. This intelligent breed also needs mental stimulation: a bored Rhodesian Ridgeback is a destructive Rhodesian Ridgeback.

The Rhodesian Ridgeback is dignified and reserved toward strangers. With his family, he's a quiet, gentle companion, one who's able and willing to defend his home and people if the need arises.

Because of his size, intelligence, and power, he's not the breed for everyone. First-time or timid dog owners may find him to be much more than a handful. People who want an outgoing dog who will love everyone should keep looking. But if you are looking for a strong, confident dog, a dog who encompasses gentleness, hardheadedness, and a sense of humor in a shorthaired, easy-care package, the Rhodesian Ridgeback may be the perfect match.

More interested in your cat. @HI SCOTT NEWMAN @kevy2pale @lsa

Haha cat would claw the guard dog to death, it never ends well for the guard dog when you introduce it to a cats home. Funny little memory.. I remember when I was younger the neighbor had a German Shepherd dog which was sort of a guard dog and they had a cat, and every time I go in the garden I see the Cat swiping and scratching at the dogs face and then the cat just jumps up onto the high wall and the dog is standing there looking all confused and panting . haha hilarious stuff.

Bully/terrier breeds are fine with kids and ours used to curl up and spoon with the cat. The problem is that it is really hard to have them around other dogs... dog park is pretty much out of the question, which makes it kinda hard. They don't always start the fight with the other dog, but they always finish it, and anything that happens is pretty much assumed to be your fault
Yeah as much as I've always wanted one, the fact you can't let them play with other dogs pretty much sucks, I guess it's time I get over the staffys/pit type breeds. I would hate to have a dog that ended up seriously hurting another.
It's funny to me how much Pit fans refuse to acknowledge this. They'll always fall back on the same bs about how Labs/Retrievers bite more and so on but will never acknowledge which dog is worse to deal with if and when it actually snaps.
Yup seen some nightmare youtube videos... one a pit bites down it's no fun.

So a quick search online for that dog brought up :

"This old Italian dog breed was developed to guard property and hunt big game such as wild boar. He is powerful and athletic and is best suited to an experienced owner who has a large, securely fenced yard."

It scored a 1 out of 5 for apartment living, novice owners and tolerating being alone. 2 out of 5 for kid friendly and 5 out of 5 for prey drive.

It's a working dog, a large and challenging one at that.

It doesn't sound like a sensible choice bro.
Yeah I was being a smart ass broham. I would never use sherdog as my sole source of information, I was under the impression you thought that was the case. I more or less just wanted some first hand accounts from other dog owners.

Rottweilers are good enough dogs, and they do listen to commands and run well enough on instinct once raised correctly - But top 10 most intelligent dog breeds? No.

They're probably a good dog for TS' criteria though.

Of all the dogs I've met in my life, a rottweiler belonging to grandpas neighbor was one of if not the most intelligent dog I had ever met. Followed so many commands, always at owners side, submissive to a rat terrier lol. I know that may not mean anything in the big picture, but in my experience it give credence to the claim.

Lol - That dog is completely deformed. What a mess.

Many dog breeds will look somewhat deformed when compared to the breeds they were developed from. Imagine the initial reactions to the English Bulldog and Dachshund.

As long as it's loyal, good with children, not overly dumb, doesn't have unpredictable aggressive tendencies like pitbulls, and no potential or genetic health problems, then it doesn't bother me if it looks deformed or not.

Not the bow-legged ones though. Those look like a walking vet bill.

Back