What is the toughest Jiu-Jitsu tournament there is?

Yea but judo has no bearing on this discussion.

You are trying to compare different sports; IBJJF to ADCC.

Well if we are in the business of comparing different submission grappling sports, i'd say the level of competition in Judo is much deeper than either.

You are trying to compare different sports; IBJJF to ADCC.

Well if we are in the business of comparing different submission grappling sports, i'd say the level of competition in Judo is much deeper than either.

They are both submission grappling competitions.

Southwest Grapplefest in New Mexico.

The Olympics for freestyle/greco is no different than the worlds. Ivan Yarygin/European is some of the toughest tournaments you can get. Russians/Azeris/Georgians/a combo of Taylor/Snyder/Burroughs and Turkish make the toughest tournaments. So, probably Ivan Yarygin.
Im a huge fan of Snyder and the other USA guys so I do not want to diminish their accomplishments, but it seems the Yarygin hasn't featured as many top ranked wrestlers from Russia/AZE/Georgia/Iran/Ukraine etc these last few years. Now I know that many of these countries have so much depth that unknown guys can still be amazing but I think it makes a tourney more prestigious when known studs are attending. Im pretty sure Gadisov, Opan Sat, and a few other Russians were a bit down the ladder in the rankings but wound up being world champs or close to it so I don't doubt these guys at the Yarygin are still tough.

The Olympics for freestyle/greco is no different than the worlds. Ivan Yarygin/European is some of the toughest tournaments you can get. Russians/Azeris/Georgians/a combo of Taylor/Snyder/Burroughs and Turkish make the toughest tournaments. So, probably Ivan Yarygin.
I consider the Olympics more prestigious than worlds for the following reasons:
-The qualification process for the Olympics. You have to have recent, semi long term, sustained excellence just to qualify to compete.
-Past world/Olympic champs and medalists as well as other older top wrestlers who still want that medal come into play. So to qualify you have to beat all the guys you are used to facing AND some slightly older studs who have been training and preparing in secret. Cary Kolat almost made the 2012 Olympic team after being retired for years.
-The weight classes. Coming down from 10 or 8 classes to 6 means a shit ton more guys going for the spot and a harder weight cut for most competitors.

I consider the Olympics more prestigious than worlds for the following reasons:
-The qualification process for the Olympics. You have to have recent, semi long term, sustained excellence just to qualify to compete.
-Past world/Olympic champs and medalists as well as other older top wrestlers who still want that medal come into play. So to qualify you have to beat all the guys you are used to facing AND some slightly older studs who have been training and preparing in secret. Cary Kolat almost made the 2012 Olympic team after being retired for years.
-The weight classes. Coming down from 10 or 8 classes to 6 means a shit ton more guys going for the spot and a harder weight cut for most competitors.
It is definitely more prestigious, as not everybody pays attention to the worlds, and a majority of people will watch the Olympic games, just because it is the Olympics.

I prefer watching the Russian nationals/Yarygin though. Our nationals are always guaranteed to have some sort of crazy event happening, lol.

Im a huge fan of Snyder and the other USA guys so I do not want to diminish their accomplishments, but it seems the Yarygin hasn't featured as many top ranked wrestlers from Russia/AZE/Georgia/Iran/Ukraine etc these last few years. Now I know that many of these countries have so much depth that unknown guys can still be amazing but I think it makes a tourney more prestigious when known studs are attending. Im pretty sure Gadisov, Opan Sat, and a few other Russians were a bit down the ladder in the rankings but wound up being world champs or close to it so I don't doubt these guys at the Yarygin are still tough.
You're right, 50/50. This year's Yarygin was pretty stacked from Russia. Sadulaev, Tsabolov, Zidakov, Bekbulatov, Rashidov, Chakaev, Kuular etc. The problem is the other Russian wrestlers have had limited international experience. Guys like Baev, Naifonov, Kuular and other guys in the divisions have won good medals at a junior/U21 level, but not senior. There is a huge difference between junior/cadet and senior. Maybe in a few years they will be much better.

I really wish this Indian league would be earlier, so wrestlers like Maroulis, Khinchegashvili, Petriashvili, Ramonov, Aliev etc would compete at it. Because The finale of the Indian league basically is on the day or two before Ivan Yarygin. If some of the bigger names from Indian league were at Yarygin, I would have no problem agreeing that is the toughest and most stacked.

Asian championships are pretty stacked with Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Iran, Japan, South Korea etc

European with Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, somewhat Poland, Georgia

Pan American is pretty much dominated by America

European is one of my favorite championships to watch.

You're right, 50/50. This year's Yarygin was pretty stacked from Russia. Sadulaev, Tsabolov, Zidakov, Bekbulatov, Rashidov, Chakaev, Kuular etc. The problem is the other Russian wrestlers have had limited international experience. Guys like Baev, Naifonov, Kuular and other guys in the divisions have won good medals at a junior/U21 level, but not senior. There is a huge difference between junior/cadet and senior. Maybe in a few years they will be much better.

I really wish this Indian league would be earlier, so wrestlers like Maroulis, Khinchegashvili, Petriashvili, Ramonov, Aliev etc would compete at it. Because The finale of the Indian league basically is on the day or two before Ivan Yarygin. If some of the bigger names from Indian league were at Yarygin, I would have no problem agreeing that is the toughest and most stacked.

Asian championships are pretty stacked with Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Iran, Japan, South Korea etc

European with Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, somewhat Poland, Georgia

Pan American is pretty much dominated by America

European is one of my favorite championships to watch.
I haven't heard much about this Indian League up until recently. I guess its pretty high level? I know Germany has one too that Yoel Romero competed in for a while after defecting from Cuba to Germany.

As for the Pan Ams, you might be surprised to find out that the USA doesn't dominate nearly as much as youd think. Firstly there is obviously Cuba to contend with, they are incredible. Canada has some good talent too. But then you always have a few studs from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Mexico, Venezuela, etc. They do pretty friggin good actually.

When it comes to wrestling, I’d say the Olympics is the top competition.

Well, what is the top competition with Jiu-Jitsu?

ADCC? The world championships?
ADCC definitely is up there, also Fight to Win and IBJJF

Mundials for sure. ADCC is the premier sub grappling tournament in the world without a doubt, but the smaller bracket size and invitation structure (you can win trials in a weak region for sub grappling and still make the tournament) means that the first and sometimes the second round are squash matches for the truly elite. That's probably true at Mundials too, but there's a big difference between your squash match being basically the quarterfinals as can happen at ADCC whereas the quarters at worlds are always going to be against someone elite.

Put another way, the top 16 guys in any given weight class probably won't be the 16 guys in the bracket at ADCC. The guys who make it to the round of 16 in their weight class at Mundials are at least in the discussion for being one of the best 16 guys in that weight class and in many cases probably are the best.

Back