What kind of home will $500,000 buy you in your area?

zebby23

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wanted to see what kind of house half a million dollars will buy in the area where you live? I'm curious to see if you think that price will buy you a modest middle class home or something much bigger.

No need to list the exact town but a general area would suffice. I'll start by posting a few homes in my town which is a suburb roughly 30 miles west of Chicago. It doesn't have to be exact but around 500K will do.

So if you can, post a photo and the listing price. You can get it off of redfin or any other real estate site.
Plus I just like looking at real estate

Listed at $524,000

genMid.09914824_H.jpg

Listed at $500,000

genMid.09918747_0.jpg

Listed at $509,000

genMid.09922714_1.jpg

A 2,000sqft shack.

Blame China for sending its citizens in droves to swoop up American homes with cash above asking prices. And thank the US gov't for allowing it to take place unabated.

A 2,000sqft shack.

Blame China for sending its citizens in droves to swoop up American homes with cash above asking prices. And thank the US gov't for allowing it to take place unabated.

Post a couple man

Also, very poor form zebby. You trying to go in on someone by telling them you're buying a 490k house and being gotten to enough to make a thread to prove how baller you are

Not much more gotten to than that bro

A 2,000sqft shack.

Exactly what happened to my area in the Pacific Northwest.

Was helping a friend look at some places after he retired out of the military and when I was looking online, a lot of the places he was looking at around the 250k mark were closing at 280-290k.

Many of the local small businesses are being bought out as well by Chinese.

I have no problem with immigrants buying properties or businesses of course, but it's really startling over the course of the last year how much has been bought up.

What exactly is the strategy for the Chinese in doing this?

Ya you are right. I have a relative there who owns like a tiny house and someone just offered her over a million dollars for it. CRAZY

Our downtown small 3 bedroom semi detached would sell for pretty close to a million right now. Probably 900k easy. No driveway (street parking only), tiny back yard (14'x20' roughly).

It buys a hell of alot in the Conservative shithole areas, not so much in the prosperous Progressive areas.

Also, very poor form zebby. You trying to go in on someone by telling them you're buying a 490k house and being gotten to enough to make a thread to prove how baller you are

lol... Not really but ok. I was actually legitimately curious about what it buys you after he is telling me it's middle class. I wanted proof to substantiate either one of our arguments.

And I though it was a cool thread idea... Now post your apartment complex

lol... Not really but ok. I was actually legitimately curious about what it buys you after he is telling me it's middle class. I wanted proof to substantiate either one of our arguments.

And I though it was a cool thread idea... Now post your apartment complex
I'm fine with the size of my cock. Hopefully this thread gives yours the extension you need

Move this thread to the OT.

@TeTe

Exactly what happened to my area in the Pacific Northwest.

Was helping a friend look at some places after he retired out of the military and when I was looking online, a lot of the places he was looking at around the 250k mark were closing at 280-290k.

Many of the local small businesses are being bought out as well by Chinese.

I have no problem with immigrants buying properties or businesses of course, but it's really startling over the course of the last year how much has been bought up.

What exactly is the strategy for the Chinese in doing this?
They're hedging against a looming housing bubble back in China. Their housing prices have risen to unreasonable levels, with many of them being uninhabitable(they have a thing for not finishing interiors).

Theres estimates that they've invested over $1trillion in American residential real estate alone. My concern is that we need more American homeowners and less American renters- this doesn't help.

I don't think there's any home, regardless of size or quality, that cheap in my town. Definitely not in my neighborhood.

Not bragging or anything. We have a serious housing affordability problem here.

ISe8vhhpl5yutv1000000000.jpg

ISybzujv614lw50000000000.jpg

A couple from Zillow

A 500k house is definitely middle class though. Upper middle maybe, but still middle class. You don't need to be wealthy to afford that unless you have a different definition of wealthy then most people.

Average home in my city is around 800k and that's for a three bedroom single story with neighbors up your ass.

Where I'm going to be moving next week?

IS23b9lqwk7zk90000000000.jpg

For comparison, this one is listed at $760,000

IS2neta9wse1a10000000000.jpg

To be honest though, a single family home in a good area in the city of Chicago isn't much cheaper

Back