What kind of melee weapon is effective, yet considered less than lethal

6856383F-E9C5-4B9B-913C-8F28490C51BC.jpeg There are natural weapons to be had as well......

I've deployed an ASP (expandable metal baton) against someone at work. It was worthless.

An actual wood baton or PR24 side handle would have been better.

I'd be interested to understand why. An ASP is like...... a chunk of light metal. Wouldn't it be even more effective than a wood baton? Out of curiosity where did you hit the suspect with the ASP and why do you think it didn't stop him? I ask because I've considered getting one myself

I'd be interested to understand why. An ASP is like...... a chunk of light metal. Wouldn't it be even more effective than a wood baton? Out of curiosity where did you hit the suspect with the ASP and why do you think it didn't stop him? I ask because I've considered getting one myself

They dont have weight behind them and flex when they impact. A wood baton does not flex and transfers energy better.

People I know who hit with wood batons years ago dropped people in 1 strike or 2 usually breaking a shin or forearm with the strike, or cracking ribs with an end jab.

I hit several upper arm and lower leg strikes, probably 6 to 8 total. Swings were full 2 handed swings with follow through as well, not one handed strikes.

Head, neck and joints are prohibited target areas for impact weapons per my department Use of Force policy.

Wild. Would not have guessed that. Wonder if it's structurally possible to manufacture a telescoping metal rod that doesn't exhibit flexion. I'm sure non-telescoping metal (i.e. a lead pipe) would behave more like the wood batons you're talking about. Welp, made me reconsider my self-defense options!

Was in a famous art museum and noticed the security guards packing what looked like ASPs to me. Guards looked like they couldn't have stopped me with one of those lol, much less a hardened organized criminal who's carrying off a multi-million dollar museum robbery. Probably didn't want to carry pepper spray so they didn't accidentally blast the Van Gogh or something

A car antenna is pretty gnarly. It’ll rip though clothes and slice the meat right up.

For better grip, fold like 4” of the base back onto itself either in a vice, or with a pair of vice-grips.

As someone wrote, kali sticks with some proper training (just basics)

Yeah I remember the time I used to practice Kung Fu with traditional weapons. My sensei Pa Chong taught me vast number of techniques using different traditional weapons. I consider myself to be a master of these crafts, but I still have a lot to learn about chain whip. I have hit my head and neck area over 150 times while practicing this technique. Although I have lost vision in my left eye and hearing in my right ear, with minor cosmetic injuries I still believe that the Chain Whip is one of the best defensive weapons out there. I have practiced Chain Whip to the point where my scrotum has become physically detached from my lower body. I believe this to be a sign of greatness. With great power comes great knowledge about ones own body. I do not need my scrotum, as sexual organs are there just to distract us from training harder. Everyday I get up from my bed with the help of four crutches, this still will not stop me from fully mastering the Chain Whip weapon.

uhrty69.jpg

Every man has a less lethal option around their waist.

Belts. They’re not just for yo’ kids.
I second this.

Many years ago, got into a brawl at a park once against some guys from another college. Suddenly these other guys just came out of nowhere swinging fucking belts, with metal buckles, and just split the heads open of a couple of my mates. Went from something that was kinda 'mano a mano' to something really scary very quickly.

One mate was just KTFO by one of these belts, we had to drag him out of the park, and he ended up in the hospital because he had a 6 inch split in his scalp.

That was a very scary day - learnt the hard way how what appears to be a 'fair' fight can turn into proper nasty violence instantly....

Having learnt nunchucks and seeing how quick they are, a belt is right up there, if you know how to swing it, that is.

Last edited:
I second this.

Many years ago, got into a brawl at a park once against some guys from another college. Suddenly these other guys just came out of nowhere swinging fucking belts, with metal buckles, and just split the heads open of a couple of my mates. Went from something that was kinda 'mano a mano' to something really scary very quickly.

One mate was just KTFO by one of these belts, we had to drag him out of the park, and he ended up in the hospital because he had a 6 inch split in his scalp.

That was a very scary day - learnt the hard way how what appears to be a 'fair' fight can turn into proper nasty violence instantly....

Having learnt nunchucks and seeing how quick they are, a belt is right up there, if you know how to swing it, that is.

Jesus man! Did they come out wearing belts like these, lol?
BYI36Jc.jpg

if the expandable batons aren't good, what would be good for every day carry? some sort of solid baton or just a maglight? also, does it make more sense to carry two (one for each hand)? or just one, so you have a free hand for punching/grabbing?
thanks,

Bad breath? Maybe it will disorient them. lol I know that sounds like a joke, but I'm halfway serious.

They dont have weight behind them and flex when they impact. A wood baton does not flex and transfers energy better.

People I know who hit with wood batons years ago dropped people in 1 strike or 2 usually breaking a shin or forearm with the strike, or cracking ribs with an end jab.

I hit several upper arm and lower leg strikes, probably 6 to 8 total. Swings were full 2 handed swings with follow through as well, not one handed strikes.

Head, neck and joints are prohibited target areas for impact weapons per my department Use of Force policy.
What's your input on the pr24?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back