What knife did you carry today?

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

So I was doing a 12 hour shift today, one of the event coordinators at the mall I work at, asked for a knife because he had climbed up a ladder and was attempting to take down a banner that they had previously put up. Not wanting to give him my new Cold Steel Spartan, I loaned him my Victorinox Silver Tech Signature Lite.

vm_54752_sol_a03.jpg

After a really sketchy session of holding the ladder and watching him cut himself a bunch of times, the guy had to get down the ladder, and needed both hands to stabilize himself. What he do? The asshole throws my knife, while the blade was deployed onto the ground from the top of a fucking 10 foot high ladder. I picked it up to find that the light wasn't working and that here was blood on the handle. I present my shit-eating grin and tell him it's okay when he asks it it was broken, which I thought it was. Fortunately, the battery fell out and it was fully operational. I just wish that some people would be more careful and respectful with the belongings of others. At least this knife finally has a soul.

where do you live?

im in texas and i thought texas laws are pretty loose (well at least compaired to california where i came from, but that aint saying much) but i still cant carry an OTF here legally. wish i could.

Military. We can carry these knives. I'm not fully positive if we can carry them for e every day use. It may be just for deployments, but I don't see why that would be the case.

So I was doing a 12 hour shift today, one of the event coordinators at the mall I work at, asked for a knife because he had climbed up a ladder and was attempting to take down a banner that they had previously put up. Not wanting to give him my new Cold Steel Spartan, I loaned him my Victorinox Silver Tech Signature Lite.

vm_54752_sol_a03.jpg

After a really sketchy session of holding the ladder and watching him cut himself a bunch of times, the guy had to get down the ladder, and needed both hands to stabilize himself. What he do? The asshole throws my knife, while the blade was deployed onto the ground from the top of a fucking 10 foot high ladder. I picked it up to find that the light wasn't working and that here was blood on the handle. I present my shit-eating grin and tell him it's okay when he asks it it was broken, which I thought it was. Fortunately, the battery fell out and it was fully operational. I just wish that some people would be more careful and respectful with the belongings of others. At least this knife finally has a soul.

It's tasted blood now you can never git rid of it. :icon_twis

The Spartan is such a ridiculously practical knife in such a fantasy knife package. I swear to god when I carry it I feel like a miniature, overweight, beardless Spartan. Something about a kukri/xiphos in your pocket makes me all, bad-ass-y.

1a300spartan02lg.jpg

I gotta stop posting after work, my brain is usually fried and my spelling and grammar suffers because of it.

ZRAC.JPG

Italian Stiletto. Picked it up at a flea market. Goes online for $40-$50 bucks, got it way, way cheaper, flipped it for $20 to a friend. Not gonna lie, got myself one too for the novelty of it. The one I got is 420 J2 stainless and came sharp as hell.
Probably never carry one again, but I'll keep it by the desk for opening letters.

Just purchased and waiting for delivery of:

SOGTF-3.gif

The main selling features on this for me was the price (half off on Amazon for decent AUS 8 steel), the large handle for my vanilla gorilla hands, and not having to open the knife to cut things like string, loose thread, fishing line etc. Its almost embarassing how practical a little cutout in the handle of a folder is, but this the only one I know of that does it.

It's not a particularly practical knife by any means, but if you know what to expect, it can be a pretty good knife. My major criticism is that the pocket clip is pathetically small and very, very grippy; making the Emerson Wave opening feature a little difficult to deploy at first. I guess the other thing is that the lock is tight; really, really, really right as in, I have trouble closing it sometimes.

Eh, than I won't be picking it up. I am not a fan of folders in general, but I liked to blade shape and grip. Thanks for the info.

I like mine alot, they break in really well after awhile you just gotta stick with it, the Tri Ad lock needs time to set.

Today I carried:
new_pics_11-2_002_495.jpg

I'm getting ready to do a review of it on Bladeforums, great knife, some say its a poormans Military, I actually like it better than the Mili.

40 Bucks, good lord.

What is that one? Looks really nice.

This one is for you Sonny.

securedownload1p.jpg

The newest of the made in Taiwan Spydies. They are some serious, serious bang for the buck.

This one is called the Resilience, the smaller one is the Tenacious and smallest is Persistance all of them have sick ergos, full flat grinds and nice, not great 8cr13 blades, usually compared to a good AUS8a or Japanese VG-1.

length overall 9 3/8 in. (238 mm) blade length 4 1/4 in. (108 mm) blade steel 8Cr13MoV
length closed 5 1/4 in. (133 mm) cutting edge 4 1/4 in. (108 mm) weight 5.4 oz. (154 g)
hole diameter 1/2 in. (13 mm) blade thickness 1/8 in. (3 mm) handle material G-10

best part is they are about 45 bucks, shipped.

I compare mine favorably to the Spyderco Military.

Damn. I was going to say that it looks like the Persistence only larger. That thing looks sweet.

cold_steel_ak47_knife_540.jpg

Been my EDC blade for a few weeks now and I am surprised to say its not too big for an EDC. I will, however, be replacing it with the sprint run orange Spyderco Manix 2 when they ship them this month. :D

Manix 2 - FFG CPM-S30V - Orange G-10 Scales - SELLING FAST - PRE-ORDER NOW
In case any of you guys are avid Spyderco collectors.

Nice thing about those sprint runs is the full flat grinds on them, I have a stone washed early version, not ffg.

I like the AK alot too, I carried one through the summer while hiking through the sequoias

Nice thing about those sprint runs is the full flat grinds on them, I have a stone washed early version, not ffg.

I like the AK alot too, I carried one through the summer while hiking through the sequoias

Yea the ffg blade was the selling point for me because to me the ffg blade is symbolic of spyderco and the regular Manix 2, with its hollow ground blade, just doesn't look right imo.

The s30v compared to the 154cm also helps sway me towards the sprint run manix. :p

So I switched back to the Endura 4 Emerson Opener after a week of carrying the Cold Steel Spartan for and man, carrying a big ass blade can make you really appreciate the convenience of carrying a smaller, lighter blade. I literally forget that my Spyderco is in my pocket. That being said, I received an unexpected paycheque at work last week and I just may look into purchasing the Cold Steel Rajah II in the very near future.

Edit: Gah, I wasn't even working last night and I fucked up the grammar, fixed.

Last edited:
So I switched back to the Endura 4 Emerson Opener after a week of carrying the Cold Steel Spartan for and man, carrying a big ass blade can make you really appreciate the convenience of carrying a smaller, lighter blade. I literally forget that my Spyderco is in my pocket. That being said, I received an unexpected paycheque at work last week and I just may look into purchasing the Cold Steel Rajah II in the very near future.

Edit: Gah, I wasn't even working last night and I fucked up the grammar, fixed.

Yeah you know, I ain't going to persuade you not to get the Rajah thats a great walkabout/bushbashing/wrong side of town at night knife. It actually rides better in the pocket imo, than the Spartan even though it dwarfs it.

With that said, I got to go outside and enjoy the day in desert today, I carried my Little Seal Pup Elite, love this thing when I can carry it...

13446630.jpg

With that said, I got to go outside and enjoy the day in desert today, I carried my Little Seal Pup Elite, love this thing when I can carry it...

13446630.jpg

I have come so close to buying one of these but haven't as of yet.

What do you mainly use it for and how do you like it?

I don't think I've ever left the house with my SOG Tech Bowie, guess that's one of those lines I haven't crossed yet, at least in an urban setting. Might decide to carry it when camping season rolls around in the summer.

I use it for cutting stuff of course...I've used it to baton with, build traps and dress game, probably open a can here and there as well.

Man, that was a tough choice between this the SOG Tech and 2.0 bowies, the bottom line for me was the weight this knife weighs under 6 oz with a .188 thick blade, its just super fast in hand. I love everything about it except the Zytel grip, but for a throw in on a trade I can't complain.

Back