What lifting program do you use for cutting?

HatchetHarry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Currently cutting for summer. 6’ tall and started at 205 down to 196. I’ve been doing stronglifts 5x5 with 3 accessories after each session usually dips, lateral raises, hammer curls, face pulls, incline bench. I follow each workout with a 5k row on concept 2 and days off I do abs and 30 min row.

What routine do you guys do to cut? My 5x5 lifts are squat 275, bench 245, dead 365.

Losing weight is more a kitchen issue than a gym issue.

I'm not sure why you'd be cutting when you're already skinny and not that strong, though.

Currently cutting for summer. 6’ tall and started at 205 down to 196. I’ve been doing stronglifts 5x5 with 3 accessories after each session usually dips, lateral raises, hammer curls, face pulls, incline bench. I follow each workout with a 5k row on concept 2 and days off I do abs and 30 min row.

What routine do you guys do to cut? My 5x5 lifts are squat 275, bench 245, dead 365.

just do a little low carb, high protein and keep on lifting weights. don't binge on weekends, inlcuding alcohol.
stick to it.

if you are primarily interested in aesthetics then teh bb.com is more your place.

cheers

I'd do a low volume eating program to cut weight.

I'm not sure why you'd be cutting when you're already skinny and not that strong, though.

LOL I couldn't imagine trying to lose weight. Unless my goal was to slip unseen under doors, or through cracks in the floor.

I added more assistance work and cardio. Cut back carbs dramatically. That's been the ticket for me.

Those lifts are for 5 reps. I don’t have any interest in lifting more. My diet is spot on right now doing a carnivorous diet.

Those lifts are for 5 reps. I don’t have any interest in lifting more. My diet is spot on right now doing a carnivorous diet.
Sooo...if you have everything figured out, why did you make the thread?

If your diet was “spot on”, you wouldn’t be asking what lifting program you need to lose weight. You’d know that’s the wrong question to be asking.

Sooo...if you have everything figured out, why did you make the thread?

If your diet was “spot on”, you wouldn’t be asking what lifting program you need to lose weight. You’d know that’s the wrong question to be asking.

All I asked was what lifting routines do others prefer for cutting. I’m not having trouble losing weight. You do know this is a strength and conditioning forum right?

you do the same type of program that built your strength and/or muscle mass to begin with. You are pretty skinny for being 6 foot and thats not a knock if thats your goal but just to answer the question you dont really change your programming. If you are doing stronglifts i dont really think you will progress on at the rate the program calls for while cutting but not to worry just do the madcow version for intermediates and progress slowly until your bodyweight stabilizes at your goal weight.

What sport are you cutting for?

squat 275, bench 245, dead 365
Dunno if youre squat and deadlift are really mediocre or your bench is really great.

But as for routine, do a low volume program with heavy weight. Only way to ensure you keep strength and as much muscle as possible.

Ive been running this to great results, my deadlift, squats and bench all shot up ridiculously high. Gonna keep running it for a long time. I added 50 kg to my deadlift alone and its at 190kg, raw no belt after running it twice.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/6-week-squat-bench-or-deadlift-program

Last edited:
All I want is the strength from when I was my fattest and the stamina from when I was still fighting.

Those are fine numbers for somebody your size, whose goal is aesthetics.

As posters previously said, keep lifting weights, keep your protein high, and reduce your total calories.

when cutting, i usually pyramid my first exercise, then the rest are light weights and high reps. When i'm not cutting, all of my exercises are pyramids for strength.

example:
Chest:
flat bench press:
135*20
185*15
205*10
225*5
245*3
265*1
135*15 (3 sets)
incline bench: 135*15 (3 sets)
cable flyes 135*15 (3 sets)

cutting however is more caloric related. you either put your body into caloric deficit and consume less, burn more calories, or both

Back