What makes a fighter entertaining?

ChoKuRei

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I feel like style comes first with personality second.

There are tons of fighters that are likeable guys but might not be the most exciting fighters. What I really like to see are diverse strikers. Condit in his prime, TJ dillashaw, DJ, you never know whats coming if its a kick or a punch or a takedown or a level change into an uppercut like Dillashaw, Love that shit.

What determines your favorite fighters? Elite grapplers? Entertaining on the mic? KO power in hands and feet?

Nobody can beat this man when it comes to entertainment. Lord Chael, maybe.

I like fighters, who are active in the cage most of the time. Stalling and draining your opponents gas tank is viable strategy in some occasions (Miocic vs Ngannou), but laying and praying or pushing your opponent against the cage bores me to death. I enjoy both grappling and striking, but fighting too safe makes them both tiresome.

Smack talk, mic skills, charisma

Optional: exciting fights.

Urgency and a lack of stalling tactics.

Last edited:
It comes down to what you like. I like to see elite level of combate doesnt matter if grappler or striker, its intriguing to watch high level of stuff, i also like brawls, i think i just like busy fighters going for the finish or trying to inflict damage, i love seeing high level wrestling but if you just hold half guard and score points im not a fan of that but i dont hate them for it, every fighter is gonna try to win the way his chances are best. I dont care about personality, i mean i sometimes watch interviews and get irritated with what they say but that to me doesnt matter if they back it up in the cage, i dont pretend to know them on a personal level even though of course some are gonna be more likeable personalitys than others.

For me it’s all about the fight. I don’t need trash talk or drama. I actually don’t care for fighters who create fake beefs just to sell a fight. Just get in there and deliver.

Chael is probably the most boring fighter whose trash talk made him exciting in the cage. If he was just a quiet guy who took people down no one would care to see him fight.

Fighting to finish, and I love a tapout as much as a knockout. Fight to win, not to not lose.

Mastery of their technique
Beautiful athletic movement
Unpredictability/creativity/playfulnes
HEART

Conor is pretty much the total package from an entertainment standpoint: marketable look, loads of charisma, diverse striking style, finishes fights, never in a boring contest.
Chael is probably the most boring fighter whose trash talk made him exciting in the cage. If he was just a quiet guy who took people down no one would care to see him fight.

That's exactly right. Colby is following the same script and they both take their cues from Mayweather, who would never be able to draw on style alone.

The ability to take the safe route, but opting to roll the dice in order to finish the bout as opposed to riding out a decision.

Back