Multiplatform What sort of games have you found yourself playing more as you get older?

The main trend I've noticed with myself is that after years of preferring open world games I've moved back towards enjoying more linear games more again.

Master of Magic and Master of Orion 2

Excellent games.

Be sure to play Lords of Magic too

Lordsofmagicbox.jpg

been replaying the same things i've been playing 20 years ago, games like splinter cell, and more recent ones like borderlands 2, alien isolation, dead space. these are all pretty old, but the newer games i don't find to my liking much. some i even find to be worse off graphically compared to games that are 10+ years old.

Probably moved away from competitive FPS and fighting games. Fighting games nowadays seem really bad. I tried the new Tekken and Mortal Kombat. They are unplayable for me.

I always find myself coming back to Street Fighter 2. I just got the blue belt achievement for Street Fighter 2 Hyper on the 35th annniversary edition on my PS5.

I used to play pretty much everything when I was younger before I quit gaming for a few years. I started up again when the ps5 came out and it's been pretty much all open world survival games.

Whats the blue belt achievement?
You have to have a ranked match score of 1,055. Winning a match against a lower belt gets you 5 points, equal rank gets you 10 points, and higher rank gets you 15 points. When you lose a match, you lose 5 points.

The main trend I've noticed with myself is that after years of preferring open world games I've moved back towards enjoying more linear games more again.
Honestly I'd had my fill of "cinematic" games by the early 00's.

FromSoft games

I can't play games with a lot of talking plus I like to grind for level ups. I like to listen to podcast while I play my games and FromSoft games are perfect for that. I turn the volume down on the game and listen to podcast while I play.

Probably moved away from competitive FPS and fighting games. Fighting games nowadays seem really bad. I tried the new Tekken and Mortal Kombat. They are unplayable for me.

My issue is that they are 70 dollar games that feel too similar to the ones before it.

FromSoft games

I can't play games with a lot of talking plus I like to grind for level ups. I like to listen to podcast while I play my games and FromSoft games are perfect for that. I turn the volume down on the game and listen to podcast while I play.

An interesting thing is the new armored core, which is a from soft game but definitely has an a element of 'grinding and levelling' when you think about the money and customization.

That will be my next game. I heard it was pretty hard though. I just ordered a game and a new TV.

I've always like giant robots except Mech Warrior..

That will be my next game. I heard it was pretty hard though. I just ordered a game and a new TV.

I've always like giant robots except Mech Warrior..

It's got really irritating difficulty. The levels are so simple it's almost mindless, but then the bosses have to be all dark souls and difficult.

Mainly strategy games now. 4x, turn based tactics, and builders of all sorts. Was all about shooters and souls likes for many years before. Just want to chill and play now.

When I'm at my PC, I usually go for games with strong storytelling/purpose and lots of exploration. I spend a lot on my set up so I have the means and comfy environment to escape with. I usually want something that's going to get me immersed in the world, characters, and story. The genre isn't too important, but the gameplay has to at least be decent. The combat and gameplay is games like Witcher 3, FO New Vegas, Elex etc.. aren't the best for, but they're good enough to let me get lost in the other excellent aspects they offer.

I tend to gravitate towards single player RPG's, but I love a good RTS/4X game with a strong SP campaign. I also want a good RPG with base building like Fallout 4. I was hoping to get that in Starfield, but the outposts were shit.

I love all kinds of games though, which is where the Steam Deck comes in. It's perfect for older titles, or games like Dave the Diver, which I wouldn't dedicate a night to on my pc. If i have to travel, I like that I can still play games like Cyberpunk, but I'd much rather play something like that at home on my couch, or at my desk.

Got into the "Soulsborne" genre this year. Used to be into FPS like COD and Battlefield but I barely play anything online anymore. Tekken 8 may change that though. I thought I was done with fighting games but so far I'm loving 8.

I generally nerd out on Minecraft with my kids since they are really into it.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new NCAA football game to come out. I enjoyed the TW series and have been playing RTW1 and MTW2 a bit recently. Easy in, easy out.

The only games that are first day buys for me have been GTA's and RDR's. I enjoy the Naught Dog games, but never really had the time to just go for 4 - 5 hours straight.

While I played the shit out of CS through 1.6, I can't remember any FPS game I've bought over the past 15 - 20 yrs.

What is an example of a "fast west" game such that "slow west" needs to be dilineated from it rather than just referring to it as the "western" genre?

Back