What Squat Are You?

Not to hijack, but anybody performing overhead squats in here, and if so what carryover/improvements have you noticed?
They’re literally only good for supplementing the snatch. You also get a good trap pump.

Not to hijack, but anybody performing overhead squats in here, and if so what carryover/improvements have you noticed?

You're performing an eccentric contraction, concentric contraction and an isometric hold at the same time. I would imagine you're working a large amount of your posterior and anterior chains with this movement. Your stability in your shoulders, and core would improve. The weight you would be under of course would not be as high as other squat variants but you'll improve in other areas as mentioned earlier.

The main improvement I noticed was athletic performance. I felt my core, and shoulders were stronger. Isometric contractions have been said to increase explosiveness. I believe the overhead holds transferred to me being able to punch more forcefully along with the squats. I'm not sure if that was the carryover you were looking for. I've never measured my back squat after training overhead squats.

I used to hate doing squats but now I love it. I don't know if I'm high bar or low bar - probably more like in the middle. I use a more narrow stance than I see powerlifters use and my torso is more upright. I really like doing front squats as well but it beats up my wrists because I don't have great mobility although I've noticed it has gotten better.

I used to hate doing squats but now I love it. I don't know if I'm high bar or low bar - probably more like in the middle. I use a more narrow stance than I see powerlifters use and my torso is more upright. I really like doing front squats as well but it beats up my wrists because I don't have great mobility although I've noticed it has gotten better.

I hated doing squats until I had a personal trainer who would tell me squat day was my favorite day of the week. He tricked me into liking them, and it became easier as I developed.

I love front squats if my wrists as you said have the ROM for it. It takes me about a month to build up comfort to front squat without having to worry too much about my wrists.

Does the narrow stance feel okay on your knees?

I hated doing squats until I had a personal trainer who would tell me squat day was my favorite day of the week. He tricked me into liking them, and it became easier as I developed.

I love front squats if my wrists as you said have the ROM for it. It takes me about a month to build up comfort to front squat without having to worry too much about my wrists.

Does the narrow stance feel okay on your knees?

The reason I think I hated doing them is because I didn't grasp the technique and just felt like shit doing it. Once i got the technique down it just feels really good to squat. My squat looks more like a Oly lifter's squat. A wider "Powerlifting" squat actually strains my knees more. I stand just about shoulder width.

there was a overhead squat hype ca. 15 years ago. this article of dan john started the cult.
crossfit and the functional white knights came up then.
it's a nice lift for throwers/grapplers etc.

there was a overhead squat hype ca. 15 years ago. this article of dan john started the cult.
crossfit and the functional white knights came up then.
it's a nice lift for throwers/grapplers etc.

For the life of me I cannot put up a lot of weight on the overhead squat. Maybe I'm just weak but anymore than 40kg and I just can't balance the weights above my head in the squat position. I can squat 120 and overhead press 70. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe it's core or shoulder instability. Or my technique just sucks. Or maybe it's normal?

Box Squats (15'') just touching the box and going up. I found that it was too inconsistent depth with with pure Back Squats.

I also use Lunges / Front Squats as assistance work.

Since the weight is located closer to center, it seems to work core stability a lot more, and also the upper back (thoracic spine) instead using the collarbone to frame against with the regular bar.

Try it, I think you will be surprised how much "prettier" your standard back squats will look after using kettlebells, due to improved core strength and mobility.

I honestly don't understand this reasoning at all. The largest kettlebells I have are 100lbs each and I can front squat far more than that with a barbell.

I guess if someone has a real issue with the front squat form, they can rest the bells on their shoulders or something, but this honestly seems more like a case of just getting better at the lift and the wrist flexibility will come.

@Oblivion pretty much hit the nail on the head though - if you want a stronger front squat, generally just get a better back squat. If you're proficient in the front squat movement already, ie the grip and bar placement, being stronger overall (you're obviously going to be able to back squat the most) will just increase your overall ability to do other squats.

I also never understand when people say 'it utilizes core'; I have never done a squat and somehow managed to not utilize my core.

For the life of me I cannot put up a lot of weight on the overhead squat. Maybe I'm just weak but anymore than 40kg and I just can't balance the weights above my head in the squat position. I can squat 120 and overhead press 70. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe it's core or shoulder instability. Or my technique just sucks. Or maybe it's normal?

i never did this lift with weight on the bar. just as a warm up or mobility drill.

Back