What stuff in a country should always be government ran? Energy? Healthcare? Nothing

Seaside

Caudillo
Banned
Reaction score
?? I am of the opinion that military, energy, telecommunications, healthcare and utilities, should always be. Some stuff like construction of railways and aviation maybe.

Top 3 for me are in no order. Or maybe swap energy for telecom not sure i switch on those.

Military
Healthcare
Energy

To me to have energy or healthcare run in a pure capitalist for profit above all else is just bad news. Especially given the human effect it has.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Health insurance. Everyone needs has an interest in having good health, but healthcare needs are extremely uneven. Leaving health insurance to the market means some people not having the goods they need to have a decent quality of life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing if the private sector can do it better.
But I guess Education, Healthcare and a few other thing work better when its in government control or partial control.

Depends on the government. But I would lean towards prisons.

Prisons should never be for profit.

?? I am of the opinion that energy, telecommunications, healthcare, should always be and utilities. Some stuff like construction of railways and aviation maybe.

To me to have energy or healthcare run in a pure capitalist for profit above all else is just bad news. Especially given the human effect it has.

Thoughts?

Everything you've got there PLUS:

Military
Policing
Imprisonment

I'll add that agriculture and healthcare should not be completely state controlled, but very heavily regulated/protected. Banking/creation of money as well.

This is probably too broad, but after all these stories of scummy CEOs hiking up the costs of medicines, I'm leaning towards just about anything where people's well being can be exploited or compromised for profit.

Everything you have said plus the mining industry.

All they do is pollute the cities and landscapes people live in causing untold health care costs in citizens while making massive profits.

First things that come to mind are public utilities like drinking water treatment/distribution, wastewater collection/treatment and solid waste management.

I'm terrified of the answers here.

Roads and schools.
You pay for everything else.

The military sees like an obvious place to start.

Right its vital to national securiry and its impoetant. But easily healthcare and energy are areas government should have major role in. The entire energy sector doesnt need to be owned by government. Libya and turkmenistan and many other countries have nationalize oil/energy industries and the profits are spread to the people. Should major giants be proditerring off that stuff?

Got no issue with oligsrch bezos or bill gates. They profit on like commercial non vital things. But like some say there things like private prisons or drug companies charging high prices to people. When you can profit off stuff effecting life and death and direct quality of life that has potential for major ineffiencies and problems. I dont get how people can say military should be ran by the government (duh) but not include at least either energy, or utilities or healthcare. Not all 3 but id think at least some of the other should hit.
Health insurance. Everyone needs healthcare, but healthcare needs are extremely uneven. Leaving health insurance to the market means some people not having the goods they need to have a decent quality of life.

Couldnt you see the argument for energy as well and transportation?
I'm terrified of the answers here.

Roads and schools.
You pay for everything else.

why roads and schools? If anything military, utilities (water, electricity etc) and food/agriculture are areas to be government or heavily regulated (concerning food). Military, utilities, and i think healthcare triumph education and roads. Roads can be built private.

What stuff in a country should always be government ran?

You mean government 'run'. In Brazil? Everything. Military, energy, healthcare, telecommunications, railroad, aviation, space, schools, and prison.

Tell the rest of the folks why Brazil never really developed a railroad system of transportation. A country bigger than the continental U.S. relying only on the trucking and airline industry to move things around.

Brazil has failed in many areas due to poor leadership and corruption but a few areas have succeeded:

. Varig airlines (Germans) - great while it lasted.
. Embraer - airplanes. 70% of shares have now been bought by Boeing.
. Steel industry
. Space program
. Taurus Firearms
. Nuclear program - reactor (developed, built, but not used) and potential bomb (development stopped -- 1 to 3 years to completion).

Brazil has huge deposits of Uranium ore. During the final years of military rule, early 1980's, it had already enriched enough uranium (U235) for one experimental bomb. It was much further ahead than Iran is today. "...we find that Brazil's 'Resende' enrichment facility completes the front end of Brazil's nuclear fuel cycle."

How is that huge oil production project off the coast of Rio de Janeiro going (pre-salt)? Has Petrobras managed to find, drill, and pump any oil?

Last edited:
Law Enforcement
Public roads
Public health and Safety organizations , eg: OSHA , FDA, CDC , USDA , EPA, DOT etc..
Standards organization, eg : NIST
For profit or non-Profit hospitals are fine , as long they are required to treat all peoples regardless of whether the person can pay for the care
Public schools
Libraries
Parks, including National Parks

I'm like to see the 1984 govt made p0rn industry. I have a feeling it'd be way more perverted than our free market p0rn.

Back