What the hell happened with Tony Ferguson's belt in the end?

You cant go "meant nothing to begin with" and then get all technical on me. Obviously it meant something seeing as how he won it and it was valid.
The idea of a interim champion is to have him as the guaranteed nº 1 contender to unify when the lineal is back. This never happened, and tbh seems like this never was UFC's plan, so.. yeah, never meant anything. Just a hype tool to sell UFC 216. Didn't worked very well for them.

An injured fighter keeping an interim belt given out because the actual belt holder wouldn't defend it would make no sense.
If there's a fit and active holder of the real belt then there shouldn't an interim one, I don't think interim titles should ever exist anyway.
I think interim belts should only exist when the champion is injured but once its determined that the champion can't defend that belt in a certain time frame, they should be stripped of the title and the interim title holder becomes the undisputed champion. Once the former champion is healed, they get an immediate title shot/chance to win back their title.

McGregor wasn't injured and should of been stripped of his title a long time ago.

The idea of a interim champion is to have him as the guaranteed nº 1 contender to unify when the lineal is back. This never happened, and tbh seems like this never was UFC's plan, so.. yeah, never meant anything. Just a hype tool to sell UFC 216. Didn't worked very well for them.

It did seeing as how he got the fight against Khabib for the legit belt. Him getting hurt 6 days before is what fucked that up.

If there was no interim title, he'd get that fight for the legit belt anyway.

Sure, still doesnt mean that his belt meant nothing.

If Khabib gets injured now, and is expected to be sidelined for over a year, and the UFC strips him and has Poirier vs Alvarez for the belt, does that make Khabibs belt meaningless?

Sure, still doesnt mean that his belt meant nothing.

If Khabib gets injured now, and is expected to be sidelined for over a year, and the UFC strips him and has Poirier vs Alvarez for the belt, does that make Khabibs belt meaningless?
He's the lineal and undisputed LW champion. Ferguson had the fake/interim (nº 1 contender guarantee) belt. Very different mate.

He lost to a cable...cable want nothing to do with khabib...UFC strip cable of title.

big dog DW traded it in for some samurai swords

Screenshot-2018-02-08-10.52.36.png

What season and episode was this?

Belt is hanging in a glass frame in his gym but has been reduced to 100 % obsolete and irrelevant.

There might be three ufc lw champions right now :Conor, Khabib and Ferg

Just because ufc.com only has Khabib with the belt it doesn't mean anything..

Karma for saying "where's your kid at??? "

"Where's your interim title at ???"

Tony's interim belt just vanished into thin air which does make sense under the circumstances.

It didn't vanish. Khabib won the fight, so it became the real belt. It's just that Khabib has it, and Tony doesn't. Tony basically lost it to Khabib, by pulling out of the fight.

And as I write that, I also realize how shitty that is to Tony. If Tony had the real belt, and pulled out, he would never lose that belt... Yeah, it doesn't make sense.

But the whole interim belt shit has gotten out of hand anyway.

Back