What Ubisoft games got in common?

Ubi open worlds are positively filled to the brim with things to do. Problem is, the stuff is appealing to very few people. By filling their worlds with crap, Ubisoft routinely neglects the main stories of their games. The stories are always bare bones, and the story is typically a big reason to play a sp game. Compunding this problem is the fact that their games are so alike these days. No matter the series, if it's open world, it's all the same. Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, doesn't matter. They might as well be in the same universe.

Far Cry Instincts on Xbox was the sickest game ever when I played it. I paid 60 bucks for it, and when it was done in 20 hours, I couldnt wait to play it again. Now, the games are 70-100 hours, and I dont have fun the majority of the time. Spending 5 minutes to get to a quest giver, for him to give me a fetch quest, then finishing the lame quest only to need to go back to the quest giver for another 5 minutes is not fun!!!

I think the stories in the Assassin's Creed games are anything but bare bones. I also thought Far Cry 3 had a good story, haven't played Far Cry 4 yet.

I think the only company that consistently does story better is Rockstar but Rockstar doesnt release games anymore but once every 5 years so...

Yeah, though even that got old once you realized you could heal to full hp off a couple little boats while you pounded the big guys. Black Flag was a very decent game, but man, that story was next level boring. I had to force myself to make it to the end, I almost jumped ship when they started shoving in the forced sentimentality.

See how tastes could differ, I loved the Black Flag world and characters, I cried at the end lol
when he meets his daughter #demfeels

See how tastes could differ, I loved the Black Flag world and characters, I cried at the end lol
when he meets his daughter #demfeels

Edward himself could have been an interesting character, but I never really felt his motivation. I love pirate lore, but the extent of that was basically just a cameo from famous pirates here and there in missions. They didn't set that up, and they definitely didn't setup Mary Reade dying meaning anything to me. The whole narrative felt forced, like it never had time to breath, but as you said, different tastes. The whole Animus thing has always created a layer of disconnect between me and the game world that keeps me for getting really into it, when they flash back to the present it always jars me.

Ubisoft makes great online games with shitty post release support.

Ubisoft has made me never want to see a collectible in any game ever again.

Ubi open worlds are positively filled to the brim with things to do. Problem is, the stuff is appealing to very few people. By filling their worlds with crap, Ubisoft routinely neglects the main stories of their games. The stories are always bare bones, and the story is typically a big reason to play a sp game.

I actually think they put a lot of effort into their stories. It's all the extra tedious crap they cram into their open world games, that causes the player to check out on the story. It's a problem with a lot of open world games, but it's worse with Ubi's brand in particular, because none of the side activities are all that interesting, but as a player, you're still compelled to complete them to get the most out of the game.

Ubi are the kings of taking a decent game play element, and smothering the player to death with it. Where one game might think 100 collectables are fine, Ubi says no less than 100,000 will suffice.

I actually think they put a lot of effort into their stories. It's all the extra tedious crap they cram into their open world games, that causes the player to check out on the story. It's a problem with a lot of open world games, but it's worse with Ubi's brand in particular, because none of the side activities are all that interesting, but as a player, you're still compelled to complete them to get the most out of the game.

Ubi are the kings of taking a decent game play element, and smothering the player to death with it. Where one game might think 100 collectables are fine, Ubi says no less than 100,000 will suffice.

It's the Witcher 3 problem. I find Witcher 3 to be great, but it is kind of immersion breaking when you and the characters around you are in a time sensitive position, then are given free roam to fuck around with indefinitely.

Ubisoft gets undue hate

If AC sequels are iterative, what about Doom 1 to Doom 2?

That’s an odd comparison. Doom was almost 25 years ago.

And Doom II was more of an expansion pack than anything really, just being more levels with five new enemies and one new gun added into the mix. If you read the biographical book of John Romero and John Carmack, Masters of Doom, Doom II was meant to just keep fans preoccupied while Carmack worked away at creating the Quake engine.

Rayman is a great Ubisoft game. They know how to land a platformer and make challenging levels.

That's pretty much it, everything else I've played from them is boring or unengaging.

First Ubisoft game was Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones and it was one of my all-time favorites for PS2. I really enjoyed Assassins creed 1,2 and black flag until Unity came along and ruined it. The game felt like a chore to finish.
Then I played the Witcher 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 and realized Ubisoft no longer releases the best single player games. I probably won't by another Ubisoft game unless there is a flash sale going on.

Siege is the one Ubisoft game they have just blasted out of the park after that "eh" first like 6 months. The thing is a goddamn rocket ship of money for them and has a growing player base somehow like a year and a half later.

Ubisoft gets undue hate

If AC sequels are iterative, what about Doom 1 to Doom 2?

That’s an odd comparison. Doom was almost 25 years ago.

And Doom II was more of an expansion pack than anything really, just being more levels with five new enemies and one new gun added into the mix. If you read the biographical book of John Romero and John Carmack, Masters of Doom, Doom II was meant to just keep fans preoccupied while Carmack worked away at creating the Quake engine.

Also Doom and Doom 2 were 2 games. Assassins Creed is what, like 10 games by now?

Siege is the one Ubisoft game they have just blasted out of the park after that "eh" first like 6 months. The thing is a goddamn rocket ship of money for them and has a growing player base somehow like a year and a half later.

They keep adding stuff to it. Free levels, weapons. I really like it since buying it back in like March 2016.

Ubi does a lot better when making games that are not open world.

They keep adding stuff to it. Free levels, weapons. I really like it since buying it back in like March 2016.

Ubi does a lot better when making games that are not open world.
The best part about R6 is you don't HAVE to buy the expansions to get the new stuff... you can earn everything from the new operators and such just by playing the game and saving up credits.

It'll take a ton of games mind you but it's still an option.

The best part about R6 is you don't HAVE to buy the expansions to get the new stuff... you can earn everything from the new operators and such just by playing the game and saving up credits.

It'll take a ton of games mind you but it's still an option.

I dont care, it has enough operators without the grind for the dlc ones. I wish they did not call it Rainbow Six though. Rainbow Six is supposed to be a team, and one that is ironically absent in the game. Not as bad as Ghost Recon Wildlands, ie bro shootemup.

I dont care, it has enough operators without the grind for the dlc ones. I wish they did not call it Rainbow Six though. Rainbow Six is supposed to be a team, and one that is ironically absent in the game. Not as bad as Ghost Recon Wildlands, ie bro shootemup.
It kinda makes sense in that world though. What I remember from the two Rainbow Six books is the unit is made up of guys from multiple countries and SF groups.

And least I thought that was what the premise was.

All their PC games have UPlay, which is the biggest single reason why people don't like buying their games on PC. How that client app can exist for over a decade and still corrupt save profiles on a regular basis is beyond me.

It kinda makes sense in that world though. What I remember from the two Rainbow Six books is the unit is made up of guys from multiple countries and SF groups.

And least I thought that was what the premise was.

Yeah, it was the best of the SF best. The most elite team, with only a select group. It's weird that in a Rainbow Six game, Rainbow Six is nowhere to be found. There aren't even tangential references or asides to anything remotely relating to R6 either.

odd.

Back