What was the Sherdog consensus about Diaz vs Silva (Pre-fight)?

Agree somewhat, but then again his last in his last three fights condit straight up ran from him, silva didn't really do much and gsp refused to stand with him. Now why do you think that is? There's a reason

GSP stood for more than half the Diaz fight, and picked that numbskull apart on the feet. Diaz had NOTHING for GSP while standing.

Silva was coming off the worst injury most of us have ever seen in the cage. So he took his time. Diaz did NOTHING for the entire fight. Watch the 5th round. Silva just beats Diaz like a gong.

Diaz the most overrated fighter ever, fought GSP and Spider and got outclassed badly by both, on the feet and on the ground, the funniest part about it is that the pothead actually thought he won against Spider lol lost all rounds to both, probably the guy who got the most praise while losing fights, just ridiculous.

People who use the term pothead just need to die off and disappear already.

Exactly.

Everyone bitches at Diaz for not engaging, as if he was just supposed to plod forward and get murdered by a countering Silva.

So what was his plan to actually WIN the fight? You seem to like his strategy for surviving the fight, but I think the whole concept is to try and win, no?

Wow.. is this what Diaz Brothers threads do? Bring out their emo haters?

It's interesting that fighters like the Diaz Brothers who try to make fight entertaining, have fight fans who hate their approach on fighting. And cheer with joy when they lose a decision to a fighter who wasn't really trying to make a fight...out of said fight.

I'll watch these again soon and make use of paying this 9.99 a month Fight Pass thing.

pathetic fight
hilarious people were billing it as a superfight

nick had no chance

So what was his plan to actually WIN the fight? You seem to like his strategy for surviving the fight, but I think the whole concept is to try and win, no?

I'm assuming he was hoping to goad Anderson into being the aggressor. But ya, survival first. I get the feeling that Nick was very tentative about fighting Silva, and rightly son given it is Anderson Silva, and one of the best middleweights ever (his decline wasn't totally apparent yet).

I'm assuming he was hoping to goad Anderson into being the aggressor. But ya, survival first. I get the feeling that Nick was very tentative about fighting Silva, and rightly son given it is Anderson Silva, and one of the best middleweights ever (his decline wasn't totally apparent yet).

Watch the 5th Round. Silva obviously stops worrying about his leg snapping in half again, and becomes the aggressor. He just hits Nick at will. Nick had nothing to answer with.

After the first, second, third rounds, when Nick was losing every round, at some point he needed to change his strategy if he wanted to win the fight. He obviously didn't care about winning. All that mattered was getting that paycheck. An embarrassing outing for a supposed "badass".

the fight was the *perfect* matchup for Silva's return...and Silva blew it, big time.

While Diaz is clearly one of the most durable fighters in the history of the sport (rarely finished, despite facing many guys with high stoppage rates and never fighting 'safe'), he was a tailor-made opponent for Silva to launch a successful return.

Diaz will stand in front of you...will happily eat shots to land his own...is not much of a takedown threat...is not a high-level wrestler...does not defend leg kicks...all things that SHOULD have played right into Silva's hands.

that fight was proof that Silva was done as an elite fighter. he displayed no killer instinct, no desire to outclass his opponent, and he even got out-clowned.

Ridiculous fight where Diaz laid on the mat and people act like he was the bravest motherfucker to ever walked on planet earth.

That Anderson would kill him, and that Nick would taunt him.

Watch the 5th Round. Silva obviously stops worrying about his leg snapping in half again, and becomes the aggressor. He just hits Nick at will. Nick had nothing to answer with.

After the first, second, third rounds, when Nick was losing every round, at some point he needed to change his strategy if he wanted to win the fight. He obviously didn't care about winning. All that mattered was getting that paycheck. An embarrassing outing for a supposed "badass".

I'll admit, I only watched the fight live, and don't remember much about it.

As to Nick's motivations, it kind of seemed that he just wanted the paycheck, but I don't know him personally, so can't say if it was more just survival of not wanting to be countered by the much bigger and accurate striker.

As to saying he is a supposed badass. I don't know how to take that comment. Anyone who steps into the cage at the pinnacle of the sport, against one of the greatest finishers to ever compete, is certainly not a pussy. You should go to Nick's gym and spar him some time, you might gain a new perspective.

I took a brief hiatus from watching MMA around that time period & never read any threads about this fight. It made little sense from a rankings perspective and probably hadn't been thought of as a hypothetical fight by many of us so I'm curious as to who y'all thought would win?

anderson-silva-nick-diaz-605031.jpg

I thought Silva will obliterate him badly because I still think Silva was still in his major prime and he just got beated out by Chris because Weidman is a more balance fighter than him like bad match up.

I took a brief hiatus from watching MMA around that time period & never read any threads about this fight. It made little sense from a rankings perspective and probably hadn't been thought of as a hypothetical fight by many of us so I'm curious as to who y'all thought would win?

anderson-silva-nick-diaz-605031.jpg
After Silva's two losses and his grueling leg break, most were just happy (or mad) to see him back.
I don't think anyone had any real expectations TBH.

I'll admit, I only watched the fight live, and don't remember much about it.

As to Nick's motivations, it kind of seemed that he just wanted the paycheck, but I don't know him personally, so can't say if it was more just survival of not wanting to be countered by the much bigger and accurate striker.

As to saying he is a supposed badass. I don't know how to take that comment. Anyone who steps into the cage at the pinnacle of the sport, against one of the greatest finishers to ever compete, is certainly not a pussy. You should go to Nick's gym and spar him some time, you might gain a new perspective.

All you Diaz ball lickers talk a truckful of shit about Condit "running" from Nick. But Carlos outstruck Nick.

On the other hand, Nick stood outside of range to land anything himself because he was afraid to get hit. This is far worse than Condit's strategy to win his fight.

Nick showed true cowardice in the Silva fight. He was a pussy, no matter how you scrotum garglers try to spin it.

Diaz the most overrated fighter ever, fought GSP and Spider and got outclassed badly by both, on the feet and on the ground, the funniest part about it is that the pothead actually thought he won against Spider lol lost all rounds to both, probably the guy who got the most praise while losing fights, just ridiculous.

Finally something GSP and Silva fans can agree on

I’d say half the conversation was about this being Anderson’s first fight since the snap, his confidence, his ability to use his leg. The other half was people calling the fight bs on account of Nick being a WW coming off losses and what a gimmie it would be for Anderson...

All you Diaz ball lickers talk a truckful of shit about Condit "running" from Nick. But Carlos outstruck Nick.

On the other hand, Nick stood outside of range to land anything himself because he was afraid to get hit. This is far worse than Condit's strategy to win his fight.

Nick showed true cowardice in the Silva fight. He was a pussy, no matter how you scrotum garglers try to spin it.

WTF are you even talking about? I never mentioned Condit.

LOL at a keyboard gangster calling a professional fighter a coward. Stick to world of warcraft you moron.

WTF are you even talking about? I never mentioned Condit.

LOL at a keyboard gangster calling a professional fighter a coward. Stick to world of warcraft you moron.

I've never played any online video game in my life. I'm not a gangster, and I don't try to look hard by throwing fake hand signs like the Diaz Bros do. Poseurs, the both of them.

Nick acted like a coward in the cage that night. Everyone saw it. Now you try to defend that because you worship his tough-guy schtick so much.

I wonder what you will do when Nick finally comes out and admits who he is. You tough guy Shertard Ball Lickers will probably cry yourselves to sleep in the fetal position for days!

I've never played any online video game in my life. I'm not a gangster, and I don't try to look hard by throwing fake hand signs like the Diaz Bros do. Poseurs, the both of them.

Nick acted like a coward in the cage that night. Everyone saw it. Now you try to defend that because you worship his tough-guy schtick so much.

I wonder what you will do when Nick finally comes out and admits who he is. You tough guy Shertard Ball Lickers will probably cry yourselves to sleep in the fetal position for days!

You have Nick Diaz in your sig. Sounds like you are the one who has a hard-on for the guy. Just because I can appreciate what it takes to get to the UFC, much less have a decent career in such, does not make me a ball-licker. You can be fair about assessing things without getting so emotional about it.

The only thing I took issue with is a fucking lummox on an Internet forum calling a professional fighter, who just so happens to compete at the pinnacle of the sport, a poseur and a coward.

Back