What were the most important PPV's of all time?

catchwrestle

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
My opinion is
1) Wrestlemania 1 - of course. because it changed the landscape. Set in stone the popular culture acceptance of wrestling.

2) Bash at the Beach 96 - formation of the NWO and started the hottest period in the industry

3) Starcade 97 - simultaneously peaked on of the greatest build ups with Sting vs NWO and signaled the beginning of the end.

4) Survivor Series 97 - Montreal screw job. Still talked about to this day. Brought on the rise of the Mr. Mcmahon character who was the most instrumental part of the Stone Cold Character.

5) wrestemania 18 - I loved Hogan vs Rock

Wrestlemania 1 wasnt a PPV

Wrestlemania III was the most important PPV of all time because it was the culmination of Vinces National Expansion and solidified his place as the king of wrestling

Wrestlemania 1 wasnt a PPV

Wrestlemania III was the most important PPV of all time because it was the culmination of Vinces National Expansion and solidified his place as the king of wrestling

I think you are correct. Wasn't it some sort of closed circuit TV thing?

Didn't the original Mania have some PPV coverage, but not nationwide? I know most of the viewing came from closed circuit but I though some markets did have PPV for it?

Didn't the original Mania have some PPV coverage, but not nationwide? I know most of the viewing came from closed circuit but I though some markets did have PPV for it?

I think that was WM2.

Maybe...I could be mixing them up.

I'm a little foggy myself. I just know that WM2 was the really weird one, in terms of how it was broadcast and presented from like three different venues, or some shit. It was so fucked up.

The first Survivor Series was the second most important PPV of all time because it crushed Crockett Promotions and forced them to sell to Ted Turner
If Starrcade is allowed to run unopposed on PPV then theres a good chance Crockett makes enough money to pay off some major debts and goes into 1988 in the strongest position its ever been in which could change a lot of wrestling history for the last few decades

If Crockett doesnt sell in 88 maybe he never sells to Turner
Turner never hires Eric Bischoff
Bischoff never brings in Hall and Nash
Hogan never becomes Hollywood
No Monday Night Wars, no need for Vince to get edgy and create the Attitude Era

What if Crockett and the NWA are still strong?
Shane Douglas never throws down the NWA title and how does that change ECW?
Do they even exist?

Last edited:
I think you are correct. Wasn't it some sort of closed circuit TV thing?
Yea it was closed circuit to movie theaters, arenas, rec centers etc nationwide

Wrestling Classic in November 85 was the first WWF PPV

WrestleMania 3 and 14. Both cemented the WWF as the leader in the wrestling world.

WrestleMania 17 was the coronation.

Back