What will it take to get a big name to agree to fight Spence?

IGotAHugePeckah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He seems to be the boogey man of the division now. A southpaw with that kind of skill and power is going to be a rough night for anyone.

Will Jesus Christ himself have to descend from the heavens to make a fight between Spence and a guy like Thurman, Porter or Garcia?

Spence isn't perfect, he can be hit as we saw with Lamont and Brook, but god damn is he brutal.

Spence is just all wrong for everyone! He is a southpaw which no one likes fighting southpaws to begin with..but more importantly he is a fkn beast, with crazy power and he has too much stamina in the gas tank.. he is a great boxer if need be but he really hasnt had to use his boxing as he has been just moving forward and pressing people out. we caught a small glimpse of him using his boxing vs peterson..

its not hard to see why no one is lining up to fight him despite him having a belt lol.. as ur seeing they are all lining up and willing to wait to fight thurman and take his belts.

like i said in my thread, spence is a fkn problem!! maybe im biased because one of my good friends is errols uncle BUTT he is my favorite fighter since tyson, and thats saying a lot!!

I honestly think Crawford would box his face off. Spence looked shaky in those early rounds against Brook, and Brook isn't half the boxer Crawford is. Crawford takes a 7-5 decision IMO. But theres no denying Spence looked like an absolute beast on Saturday.

200.gif

Any time a guy is burying his opponents, people find excuses to fight him. The was the burden that Marvin Hagler had in the 80's and the same burden that Golovkin had a couple of years ago.

Spence is far from perfect, and he has some noticeable patterns, and some exploitable flaws, but he is stopping people and he is a momentum fighter. His fights become something like a damn that slowly gives way under the weight of the water it is holding back. Any pressure fighter that knocks people out is always going to make people shy. People aren't as shy around light-hitting back-foot fighters.

What it will take is for a fighter to come along and give Spence some real trouble A fighter that was either written off altogether, or a fighter coming up in weight.

For example, nobody fought Hagler until Roberto Duran did. Then the names came: Hearns and Leonard, in particular. Golovkin as well, is an instance of history repeating itself. The smaller Kell Brook moved up, split the first four rounds with Golovkin, and then all of a sudden, people get a little more brave.

So, when Spence struggles with a guy that he shouldn't have struggled with (a smaller sized fighter, or unheralded name), or when he goes the distance with someone, you'll probably start to see more names step up the plate.

A WW version of the Super Six, and a lot of sponsorship.

I honestly think Crawford would box his face off. Spence looked shaky in those early rounds against Brook, and Brook isn't half the boxer Crawford is. Crawford takes a 7-5 decision IMO. But theres no denying Spence looked like an absolute beast on Saturday.

that was the first time errol fought in front of 30k fans and it was in brooks hometown to boot, if u think errol looked shaky i dont believe it really had that much to do with brook, i think the atmosphere played a huge part. it took him a few rounds to settle in and get comfortable.

i wholeheartedly disagree with u.. there is no way tc boxes errols face off lol. tc gets stopped vs spence.

that was the first time errol fought in front of 30k fans and it was in brooks hometown to boot, if u think errol looked shaky i dont believe it really had that much to do with brook, i think the atmosphere played a huge part. it took him a few rounds to settle in and get comfortable.

i wholeheartedly disagree with u.. there is no way tc boxes errols face off lol. tc gets stopped vs spence.
Nonsense, Brook was giving him fits early on, it's a cop out to blame it on the atmosphere. You can be a fan of Spence but no need to re-write history.

Nonsense, Brook was giving him fits early on, it's a cop out to blame it on the atmosphere. You can be a fan of Spence but no need to re-write history.

im not trying to take anything away from brook at all dont get me wrong, but to not admit that errol was out of his element is nonsense. first world title fight, 30,000 screaming brook fans, brooks backyard, and u dont think that had anything to do with errol not feeling comfortable in the first few rounds? come on man. i dont see that fight being in anyway similiar if they were to fight at AT&T Stadium in Dallas with 30,000 spence fans.

Last time I checked, after Thurman finished rehabbing from surgery they are already talking about fighting. I'd say Keith Thurman is a big name right now.

Saying that Brook was "giving him fits" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Lots of money.

This is correct.

As for the so-called trouble Spence got into in the first half of the Brook fight, people get confused at assessing what a carefully executed gameplan is. Brook won most rounds but Spence made him pay for it, especially to the body, and took him out when he was ripe. Brook was always going to last, he has a chin and guts in him. This couldn't be a simple blowout. But this being in Sheffield, Spence's chances to get a JD in a competitive fight were very limited. He just carried out the appropriate strategy, ie doing what it takes to get the win.

Last edited:
Saying that Brook was "giving him fits" is a bit of an exaggeration.

What would you call it? Brook won a majority of the early rounds, probably jumped ahead 3-2,or maybe 4-2. With someone of Spence's caliber i'd say that qualifies as giving him fits.

Back