What would a modern Muhammad Ali look like?

Ali was the man who gave a 12 round fight a deeper strategy.
the fight against foreman for example... how to win against a hard puncher like foreman for example?
Sugar Ray Leonard, Lennox Lewis, Mayweather and co evolved this to modern era. While Ali took many punishment, Mayweather doesnt took any relevant punishment. But a heavyweight would have a harder time to fight in mayweather strategy wich works at lower weight classes best.

Jeff Jacobs(who had the biggest library of boxing footage) timed Ali's punches next to Ray Robinson. He found that prime Ali had faster hands than Robinson. Which current heavyweight could deal with that type of speed? We know how Ali historically does against power punchers (most HWs today),he eats them up. Of the current HWs Fury would give him the most problems because of awkwardness. Ali struggled against awkward fighters.

He was way ahead of his time. But how he would fare today is difficult to predict. The superior athlete syndrome would probably prevail.

What does this mean?

Todays athlete have better nutrition and training but as far as boxing goes, todays guys don't have the grace, finesse and sharp footwork/mobility like the boxers from the past. Now a days, boxers are strong and athletic but they don't have any decent mobility or graceful footwork. I mean, Lomachenko has good footwork/mobility but everyone else have basic movements, flat footed.

What does this mean?

Todays athlete have better nutrition and training but as far as boxing goes, todays guys don't have the grace, finesse and sharp footwork/mobility like the boxers from the past. Now a days, boxers are strong and athletic but they don't have any decent mobility or graceful footwork. I mean, Lomachenko has good footwork/mobility but everyone else have basic movements, flat footed.
They also dont have the conditioning of past eras, i'd say thats the biggest difference. Back then they trained for 15 rds, AJ was gassed in the 4th against Wlad. His pecs look good though.

They also dont have the conditioning of past eras, i'd say thats the biggest difference. Back then they trained for 15 rds, AJ was gassed in the 4th against Wlad. His pecs look good though.

Yup, I have heard stories that the famous Kronks gym would turn up the heater during summer time and these guys had to spar. I also have heard that people would skip rope for hours. The impression I get is when I go to a boxing gym is the attention span. I see lots of people playing with their smart phones or just socializing.

I don't know if its true but I always perceived that an old school boxer would train in various exercises with the utmost level of concentration. Like they wouldn't be scattered minded and when they performed an exercise, they did so with high levels of concentration.

I am not saying I am right but this is the perception that I got when I was watching Ricardo Lopez training video.

Yup, I have heard stories that the famous Kronks gym would turn up the heater during summer time and these guys had to spar. I also have heard that people would skip rope for hours. The impression I get is when I go to a boxing gym is the attention span. I see lots of people playing with their smart phones or just socializing.

I don't know if its true but I always perceived that an old school boxer would train in various exercises with the utmost level of concentration. Like they wouldn't be scattered minded and when they performed an exercise, they did so with high levels of concentration.

I am not saying I am right but this is the perception that I got when I was watching Ricardo Lopez training video.

They also took road work more seriously. 5am, 6 miles. No off days. Nowadays they'll skip running to do pool noodles.

TELEMMGLPICT000138335294_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqbp882ZYJlBFxnyQgxUcRsxrNyLJG0HyXpVXN1H1KVWw.jpeg

They also took road work more seriously. 5am, 6 miles. No off days. Nowadays they'll skip running to do pool noodles.

Exactly!

It just seems like boxing clubs are becoming like a night club or a social club. Now a days there is loud music, there is people having conversation during intervals or circuit and other distracting behavior.

Meanwhile, old school gyms had no music, it was not really a place of fun, friendship but rather a place that was dingy but still quaint and its focus was to turn someone in a technical boxer.

This is the perfect example of a boxing gym:

In my experience, friendships are problematic in boxing, you have a guy who sucks at boxing but your good and I have seen one friend becoming resentful towards the successful one if both have the same aspiration. Thus, I love the old school way of going in to a gym, immersing ones self in an exercise/drill and making that the main focus and just leaving the place.

Exactly!

It just seems like boxing clubs are becoming like a night club or a social club. Now a days there is loud music, there is people having conversation during intervals or circuit and other distracting behavior.

Meanwhile, old school gyms had no music, it was not really a place of fun, friendship but rather a place that was dingy but still quaint and its focus was to turn someone in a technical boxer.

This is the perfect example of a boxing gym:

In my experience, friendships are problematic in boxing, you have a guy who sucks at boxing but your good and I have seen one friend becoming resentful towards the successful one if both have the same aspiration. Thus, I love the old school way of going in to a gym, immersing ones self in an exercise/drill and making that the main focus and just leaving the place.

I think thats why there are a lot of closed gyms now. Whethers its Andre Wards gym in Hayward or Abel Sanchez's facility in Big Bear they only train professionals that are part of the stable.

Also you have to account for the fact that less champions today are American, so modern Ali would probably be British like Haye, Fury and Joshua.

Also you have to account for the fact that less champions today are American, so modern Ali would probably be British like Haye, Fury and Joshua.

Maybe in HW, but Americans are still more dominating than Brits at the highest level of boxing. And i'd argue that the HW division has such a dearth in talent that the supposition that a new Ali would be British is specious, the more talented the division the tendency for that division to be dominated by Americans. Today's welterweight division is a good example.

Maybe in HW, but Americans are still more dominating than Brits at the highest level of boxing. And i'd argue that the HW division has such a dearth in talent that the supposition that a new Ali would be British is specious, the more talented the division the tendency for that division to be dominated by Americans. Today's welterweight division is a good example.
Fair point, modern welterweight Ali would still be American.

A lot of misinformation in the OP. Animals, including human beings, don't evolve within just a generation or two as implied by the OP.

Back