What's more humiliating?

cakemuncher

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
(a) Tapping to a much bigger lower belt that beat you on size and strength, or

(b) Tapping to a much smaller higher belt that beat you on skill and intelligence?

200w.gif

I am not gonna lie, it triggers me so much when I am lazy with something (like double-under pass) and get caught in a triangle, some guys at my gym have good hips in guard- so it is pretty easy for them to shoot up.

It just motivates me more to learn more passes rather than my go-to pass.

(b) Tapping to a much smaller higher belt that beat you on skill and intelligence?

200w.gif

None of the above. I have been humiliated but never in grappling. It's a game. Sometimes I get caught.

Neither. Tapping isn't humiliating. I'm pretty over ego checking as a concept, but this is an example where if you're feeling genuinely humiliated you need to check your ego.

200w.gif

None of the above.

More humiliating would dodging rolling with someone that could submit you.

Tapping is learning.

Having to spend 3 months with a cast because you didn't tap.

I don't get humiliated tapping to anyone. If you are, you need to grow if your really going to advance in the sport. I'll occasionally start in really bad spots with both lower and higher ranks, and or try new escapes / defenses and get caught. no big deal.

Now, that being said, some situations where I'm tapping might bother me more than others.

If I get caught being lazy, that bothers me.

If I get caught in the same setup twice, but the same person- that bothers me.

I'll also tap to face crushes, blatant cranks, etc- that bothers me because i typically know who is prone to doing them, and I let them get that kind of position.

But if you notice- most of the time if I'm bothered by tapping, its because of what I did or didn't do- not because of whom I'm working with.

I was humiliated when my bros caught me tapping yo mama, LOL!

Trick question. Both scenarios give you feedback on how to improve your BJJ. Extract lesson, file it away, and do your best not to let it happen again. Neither is humiliating.

Yeah, neither is really humiliating... but if you're doing what you are supposed to then the first scenario shouldn't happen very much if ever.

Well there is an interesting discussion.

I am a brown (have been there about 1.5 years). I got tapped in a bow and arrow by an equally ranked player a few weeks ago. I had plenty of time to escape as I actually tapped to the crank after a while (it was never below the chin) but I could not get out. Since then I have been tapped by blues and purples in the same position..... a lot. The only reason I have not been tapped by whites is because the few that I have rolled with could not get to the position. I have been letting the lower rank players get me to bow and arrow and then practicing my defense to get out of it. Sometimes I can't escape and I tap. A no stripe blue got be Saturday. I don't feel bad or humiliated. He got to work his offence. I got to work my defense. Win/win......Happens to me all the time.

So I'll go out on a limb here and admit that it can be humiliating to get thrashed by someone.

If the guy is famous, thrashing is expected so I don't really care. But there are some less than famous guys out there that can thrash me too, and I don't like that at all. It makes me better so I try to train with them as much as I can, but it's still humiliating to get owned so badly.

It doesn't happen very much anymore, but there are about two guys I train with semi-regularly that just own me completely. One guy is about three weight classes bigger and the other guy is exactly the same size.

They are perfect training partners (particularly same size guy), but yeah it's pretty embarrassing. People say don't be embarrassed but I still am.

If I get humiliated by getting tapped in any context/situation I wouldn't have lasted 3 months.

tapping when your girl uses too much teeth on bj's

Well there is an interesting discussion.

I am a brown (have been there about 1.5 years). I got tapped in a bow and arrow by an equally ranked player a few weeks ago. I had plenty of time to escape as I actually tapped to the crank after a while (it was never below the chin) but I could not get out. Since then I have been tapped by blues and purples in the same position..... a lot. The only reason I have not been tapped by whites is because the few that I have rolled with could not get to the position. I have been letting the lower rank players get me to bow and arrow and then practicing my defense to get out of it. Sometimes I can't escape and I tap. A no stripe blue got be Saturday. I don't feel bad or humiliated. He got to work his offence. I got to work my defense. Win/win......Happens to me all the time.

We have a dum dum white belt at the gym that brags about getting the back of the coach, later in the month he caught a brown belt in an ankle lock and he bragged about it too. He didn't understand that they put themselves in tough positions to have some challenge.

One of our best guy told me to start from the side mount today, I'm pretty sure he wanted to work on his kimura trap game, he still got me like 5 times but I managed once to get the full mount and giving him some threath, but I'm not stupid, I know that if he was going full speed I would be dominated and not even close to pass his guard.

Anyway, practice is practice, you can draw a tangent about how it goes with some of the guys when you roll often with them, but you don't get to fuss about one roll and say that you're the best or that you suck.

Anyway, it's a place to try stuff, the first time I tried RDLR, guys that never pass my guard were knee cutting me at will, after a couple of tries I figured out some stuff and it's now a good position for me. If I was just trying to not get beaten I would never have worked that out.

Pride is the worst enemy of your progress

We have a dum dum white belt at the gym that brags about getting the back of the coach, later in the month he caught a brown belt in an ankle lock and he bragged about it too. He didn't understand that they put themselves in tough positions to have some challenge.

One of our best guy told me to start from the side mount today, I'm pretty sure he wanted to work on his kimura trap game, he still got me like 5 times but I managed once to get the full mount and giving him some threath, but I'm not stupid, I know that if he was going full speed I would be dominated and not even close to pass his guard.

Anyway, practice is practice, you can draw a tangent about how it goes with some of the guys when you roll often with them, but you don't get to fuss about one roll and say that you're the best or that you suck.

Anyway, it's a place to try stuff, the first time I tried RDLR, guys that never pass my guard were knee cutting me at will, after a couple of tries I figured out some stuff and it's now a good position for me. If I was just trying to not get beaten I would never have worked that out.

Pride is the worst enemy of your progress
But are you 500-0 in sparring/rolling, is the real question?

ive been training bjj for 7yrs and the other night i got tapped by a 1yr whitebelt who outweighed me by 110lbs. It was during a guard-passing drill when he caught an americana from top half guard... I felt no humiliation, i was gassed from sweeping him and passing his guard repeatedly for most of the round. it happens to everyone.

however, getting caught by a more experienced guy is to be expected, regardless of his size.

What more humiliating starting a shit thread or being the asshole who keeps checking it? Cuz I’m guilty of the second

Back