What's the best 'Tarantino' movie ever?

I've never been a big fan of "Jackie Brown". It's good, but I think it's praise a little overblown by the people who rate it so highly. I find it to be a little uneven and bland. Of his work, I'd probably only put it a notch above "Death Proof". A significant notch though, as "Death Proof" is as bad as Tarantino gets. If I were to rate them in tiers, it would go:

Tier 1:

Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds

Tier 2

Reservoir Dogs
The Hateful 8
Kill Bill

Tier 3:

Django
Jackie Brown

Shit Tier:

Death Proof

lol no.

Everything about Jackie Brown is just right from how the soundtrack is used to how the plot unfolds. The casting, camera work, the subtlety (which is odd for a Tarantino film).. I could go on and on.

If you don’t dig the film then it’s whatever. But from a technical measurable aspect there’s a reason a lot of critics praise that film as his most underrated and most mature/complete film.

lol no.

Everything about Jackie Brown is just right from how the soundtrack is used to how the plot unfolds. The casting, camera work, the subtlety (which is odd for a Tarantino film).. I could go on and on.

If you don’t dig the film then it’s whatever. But from a technical measurable aspect there’s a reason a lot of critics praise that film as his most underrated and most mature/complete film.
Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction? Which did you enjoy more?

lol no.

Let's not pretend it's any better than his other films from a technical standpoint. They're all pretty much immaculate in that regard, so I don't give JB any points over the others. That's part of the reason I believe it's overrated. People talk abut it's technical merits over the material itself, as if it's somehow so above his other films. As if he's some semi-talented hack director, who got lucky with Jackie Brown. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing that Jackie Brown does better than most of his films. I think the "maturity" comes down to superficial qualities like it's subtlety, which can be interpreted as a fancy and apologetic way of saying it's boring and bland.

Let's not pretend it's any better than his other films from a technical standpoint. They're all pretty much immaculate in that regard, so I don't give JB any points over the others. That's part of the reason I believe it's overrated. People talk abut it's technical merits over the material itself, as if it's somehow so above his other films. As if he's some semi-talented hack director, who got lucky with Jackie Brown. From a technical standpoint, there's nothing that Jackie Brown does better than most of his films. I think the "maturity" comes down to superficial qualities like it's subtlety, which can be interpreted as a fancy and apologetic way of saying it's boring and bland.

I’m not going to argue the subjective parts of this. I’m equally uninterested in arguing points you’re projecting onto potential peoples opinions for liking the film. You don’t dig it, that’s what this boils down to. I can live with that.

I feel it’s his most complete, mature film. You think Basterds is. I can live with that too.

Jackie Brown or Pulp Fiction? Which did you enjoy more?

Man, that’s tough. I’m one of those pseudo couch potato critics that’s picky about such random shit.

Well, I did see PF 1st and when it was ‘groundbreaking’ in the sense that it kicked open the ‘Independent’ film door the way Nirvana kicked open a similar door to the mainstream in music not long before. So I was at ground zero and there’s an odd level of nostalgia that comes with that privilege.. so upon 1st viewing Pulp Fiction has more of that ‘I remember where I was on the day of’ feel to it.

But Jackie Brown was different to me in the sense that it caught me off guard and introduced me to things in a film in real time that showed me there was more to enjoying a film than just sitting down and watching actors unfold a plot. Soundtrack comes to mind here as well as actors playing off of each other trying to steal the scenes back and forth -particularly prime Chris Tucker and Prime Samuel L in a verbal dual to the death over who was gonna stay home, and high, and who was gonna get in the trunk of a car as a favor..

Right now I’ll have to say Jackie Brown is my personal favorite because my taste had evolved a little since Pulp Fiction.. buuut.. PF is a more ‘fun’ film, and based on your criteria of introducing a Tarantino film to someone for the 1st time would be my choice because to me, as I was just discussing with Heretic, JB is more of a ‘grown up’ version of a Tarantino film. It’s flashy in more subtle ways and is much less ‘boisterous’ and ‘fun’ than Pulp Fiction. So because of this, you might want to rope someone in for the 1st time using ‘fun’ rather than ‘maturity’. If that makes any sense.

@Madmick and @MacDuffle id be interested to get your perspectives on this..

And @Dragonlordxxxxx , where do you stand on this topic?

Last edited:
lol no.

Even technical aspects is all subjective mate. I admit I've only seen jackie brown once but i dont remember it being super memorable. Maybe the music and such is better than some of his other ones but when i think Tarantino movies I'm mainly thinking about the dialogue anyways. Pulp had the goat dialogue to me.

1. Reservoir Dogs
2. Pulp Fiction

If my friend likes Big Trouble in Little China, Tremors or the Goonies? Dusk Till Dawn. If not then maybe Kill BIll or Pulp Fiction.

Pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. The best performance in any of them was Christophe Waltz in "Inglorious Basterds", but the movie wasn't that great and Brad Pitt's Foghorn Leghorn character was annoying.

My personal favorite is reservoir dogs

Id just have them watch all hes directed and wrote...not dusk till dawn etc

Pulp Fiction is still my favorite.

Followed by Django and Jackie Brown

I say this as a Tarantino fan and I know I’ll get shit on for it, but I had never watched pulp fiction until a probably 2-3 years ago. I wanted to see what all the hype was about since most have it in their top 2 of his films, and I honestly couldn’t get into it. I’m not saying it was bad and there was some stuff I liked about it, just not my favorite. I also hated thurman’s Character. I’ll never understand why he had such a hard on for her.

I probably liked Inglourious Basterds the best. Maybe True Romance if it counts as full Tarantino.

Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained are his best films, but if I were introducing a newb, I'd bring him to the old school.

Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained for me.

Back