What's the best 'Tarantino' movie ever?

I say this as a Tarantino fan and I know I’ll get shit on for it, but I had never watched pulp fiction until a probably 2-3 years ago. I wanted to see what all the hype was about since most have it in their top 2 of his films, and I honestly couldn’t get into it. I’m not saying it was bad and there was some stuff I liked about it, just not my favorite. I also hated thurman’s Character. I’ll never understand why he had such a hard on for her.
So what's the best one for you if not Pulp Fiction?

If his movies were my children, Inglorious Basterds would've been the most successful. Not saying all of them aren't multi-millionaires.

My favorite is probably Reservoir Dogs. Though if we are talking about recommendations, I would say Kill Bill.

Either way, every film he touches is turned into gold. Yes, even Death Proof.

So what's the best one for you if not Pulp Fiction?
Again, I’m not saying it was bad, I just couldn’t get into it. I loved the hateful eight, inglorious, Django, and resovoir dogs. I also couldn’t get into the kill bill movies.

Reservoir Dogs by far. One of my favorite movies period. It's basically the perfect movie as far as I'm concerned.

Dead last would be IB. I have never understood why that movie gets so much love. It's fucking cheesy and the tone is all over the place. It's just..... bad.

pulp fiction is def his masterpiece. Its my fav of his films... Followed by
2-kill bill series
3- inglorious
4- reservoir dogs
5- Django
6- jackie brown
7- hateful 8

I love all of those though..3-6 are all very close IMO. I wouldnt argue if someone put jackie above Django or reservoir above basterds..I absolutely hated death proof though. I think that type of movie only appeals to a certain crowd.

Reservoir Dogs by far. One of my favorite movies period. It's basically the perfect movie as far as I'm concerned.

Dead last would be IB. I have never understood why that movie gets so much love. It's fucking cheesy and the tone is all over the place. It's just..... bad.
<{monica}>
Fully agree on IB; that was a giant joke of a film but everything post Kill Bill has felt that way to me. I think he fell in love with the over stylization he embraced in KB1 and just went off the deep end with it.

Not sure how I feel about Reservoir Dogs. Did you see that before or after Pulp Fiction?

As for me KB2 was about as good as a Tarantino film can be in my opinion. It did just about everything right.

<{monica}>
Fully agree on IB; that was a giant joke of a film but everything post Kill Bill has felt that way to me. I think he fell in love with the over stylization he embraced in KB1 and just went off the deep end with it.

Not sure how I feel about Reservoir Dogs. Did you see that before or after Pulp Fiction?

As for me KB2 was about as good as a Tarantino film can be in my opinion. It did just about everything right.
Saw pulp fiction first, not long after it came out IIRC. I think it's a great movie, and at the time I was particularly impressed by the style. I was still a kid and had only seen really mainstream movies, so it was unlike anything else I'd ever seen.

Saw reservoir dogs a bit later when I was around 18, and was really impressed with it. Those two movies made Tarantino someone to watch for me.

I remember a lot of people really seemed to like the kill Bill movies at the time. Not sure if people have changed their minds on further viewings, or if an entirely new audience was just unimpressed with them. I think they're great movies and represent Tarantino at his absolute peak. There's such a mad blend of styles and genres in those movies that they probably shouldn't work, but I think they're great. I don't own a lot of movies, but I have all of those on DVD somewhere.

RD will always be the ultimate heist movie to me. I've seen that one so many times over the years and it just gets better and better. Really tight, minimalist, focused storytelling. Especially for a guy like Tarantino that tends to go overboard on gore or stylistic elements.

Also never saw the hateful eight when it came out, but it's on Netflix and I watched it several times recently. It's pretty great imo and I would put it on the level of his earlier works. A spare, gritty, tense, spiteful little film. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.

I didn't watch Death Proof and Django.

I'll probably go with Pulp Fiction.

You can't go wrong with either of the first four movies in the above pic, imo.

Last edited:
Saw pulp fiction first, not long after it came out IIRC. I think it's a great movie, and at the time I was particularly impressed by the style. I was still a kid and had only seen really mainstream movies, so it was unlike anything else I'd ever seen.

Saw reservoir dogs a bit later when I was around 18, and was really impressed with it. Those two movies made Tarantino someone to watch for me.

I remember a lot of people really seemed to like the kill Bill movies at the time. Not sure if people have changed their minds on further viewings, or if an entirely new audience was just unimpressed with them. I think they're great movies and represent Tarantino at his absolute peak. There's such a mad blend of styles and genres in those movies that they probably shouldn't work, but I think they're great. I don't own a lot of movies, but I have all of those on DVD somewhere.

RD will always be the ultimate heist movie to me. I've seen that one so many times over the years and it just gets better and better. Really tight, minimalist, focused storytelling. Especially for a guy like Tarantino that tends to go overboard on gore or stylistic elements.

Also never saw the hateful eight when it came out, but it's on Netflix and I watched it several times recently. It's pretty great imo and I would put it on the level of his earlier works. A spare, gritty, tense, spiteful little film. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.
I can't seem to watch Tarantino movies on Netflix in my region. How do you watch them?

I can't seem to watch Tarantino movies on Netflix in my region. How do you watch them?
I've heard from a few people selection varies by region. Before I'd assumed everyone has access to the same stuff. I live in the American southwest and I've had hateful eight on here for awhile, although I haven't checked for his other movies. Probably will though, I haven't seen most of them in some time now.

Watching Hateful Eight again right now because of this thread. Every time I watch it I like it a little more. Lot of little subtle things going on and it's basically a bottle movie, which I love because they're usually high tension. Part of what makes RD so great. When done right, you get a feeling of claustrophobia, even on repeat viewings.

You feel as trapped by events in the film as the characters are.

inglorious is probably his most overrated

Big Tarantino fan but I have yet to watch this all the way through. I was expecting to be blown away from all the hype I’ve heard about it yet just isn’t that good imho.

Big Tarantino fan but I have yet to watch this all the way through. I was expecting to be blown away from all the hype I’ve heard about it yet just isn’t that good imho.
Sometimes, to appreciate a movie, you have to have an open mind going into the film, instead of reminding yourself how hyped the film was.

Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction are about equal for different reasons.

"Inglorious Basterds" is his most mature and well rounded flick. An artist firing on all cylinders, and putting everything he's learned over the years into one project. A perfect film.

"Pulp Fiction" is his most groundbreaking film.

Yeah, this sums up my thoughts as well.

I recently re-watched Reservoirs Dogs, and wow...that film is amazing, especially considering the budget/etc. Chris Penn's (RIP) performance in that is HUGELY underrated, imo. It's intense, but super fucking funny at the same time.

source.gif

What a choice to have to make!!! Having recently rewatched pulp fiction i think (and this will not be popular) it has perhaps not aged quite as well as i remember, whilst undoubtably a great piece of cinema it is quite of it's time and maybe a younger person used to todays mainstream cinema would not really get it.

I loved inglorious basterds and would not hesitate to show it to someone as a first tarantino movie, it has his quirky humour, great dialogue etc. while feeling modern and fresh.
Maybe Django would be the one as I doubt many film makers would actually be brave enough to make that movie and in todays climate it's getting less likely.

However if i were to pick just one I would probably go for kill bill, not even sure why really i just love those films. The 2 parts give him the runtime to just be completely self indulgent and tell the story however he pleases. For most directors this would be disasterous but tarantino is just so good that it never feels laboured or over long.

1. Pulp fiction - 10/10
  2. Reservoir dogs - 9/10
  3. Jackie brown - 8/10
  4. Kill bill - 7,5/10
  5. Inglorious - 7/10
  6. Django - 6/10
  7. Deathproof - 5/10

(haven't watched Hateful 8)
Surprised how highly Inglorious is considered

Funny, as much as I enjoy each and every single one of his movies, every time i try to ask myself the same question (in the last 2-3 years), i end up quoting Basterds to be my #1. I'd rather watch that than any other QT movie. May change from time to time. I had the same thing with Kill Bill 2, then Kill Bill 1 for a while.

inglorious is probably his most overrated

inglorious was basically a love letter to jollywood, over the top violence coupled with rambling dialogue i dont understand how anyone can rank this boring movie over jackie brown

It's not just due to violence. It had one (if not two) of the best suspense building moments in a movie to date. (Selected) characters are prime examples of how character development should be handled. The humor was either extremely subtle or something ridiculously over the top (and straight out of Tarantino universe). Acting from all major actors, especially you know who, was off the charts. The score, cinematography, pacing, all were great. Yes, the movie didn't have the typical dialogue for which Tarantino is know all throughout the movie (though it did in majority of scenes).

I do think people expected much more from this movie, and were somehow not impressed. Why, i don't know. I believe the same applies to both Django and Hateful 8. All good/great cinematographic pieces, but somehow people end up saying QT changed and is not doing any favors to prime period (the period of Jackie Brown and Pulp fiction).

I’m not going to argue the subjective parts of this. I’m equally uninterested in arguing points you’re projecting onto potential peoples opinions for liking the film. You don’t dig it, that’s what this boils down to. I can live with that.

I feel it’s his most complete, mature film. You think Basterds is. I can live with that too.

I am a simple man, i see a grown up, mature response to someone not liking the same stuff you do, i give a like.

Back