What's the current or upcoming 5 star game?

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm talking about a total gem like Halo back when it was still relevant, Half Life, Portal, Gears of War, Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto, or Doom 4. These are all top tier AAA level games worth my time and money.

I'm willing to wait. We Happy Few and Red Dead Redemption 2 are on my radar but is there anything else I should be looking for based on the games mentioned? What's a must have title to look out for?

I play xbone.

Last edited:
I too would like to know, the really great games are the finest entertainment options available. Damn i remember HL when it first came out. You wouldn't even get tired of replaying them over and over.

I'm talking about a total gem like Halo back when it was still relevant, Gears of War, Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto, or Doom 4. These are all top tier AAA level games worth my time and money.

I'm willing to wait. We the Few and Red Dead Redemption 2 are on my radar but is there anything else I should be looking for based on the games mentioned? What's a must have title to look out for?

I play xbone.
You're naming games best known for their SP campaigns, but some have MP or co-op.

Probably the biggest success in terms of sales, gameplay, and critical acclaim from AAA SP gaming last year was Horizon: Zero Dawn & NieR: Automata (or the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild, actually, if you happen to own the Switch, but if you do, it's hard to believe you wouldn't already be buying this automatically).

Right now it's unquestionably Monster Hunter: World.

I too would like to know, the really great games are the finest entertainment options available. Damn i remember HL when it first came out. You wouldn't even get tired of replaying them over and over.
Yeah, half life and portal were amazing games.

You're naming games best known for their SP campaigns, but some have MP or co-op.

Probably the biggest success in terms of sales, gameplay, and critical acclaim from AAA SP gaming last year was Horizon: Zero Dawn & NierR: Automata (or the new Zelda: Breath of the Wild, actually, if you happen to own the Switch, but if you do, it's hard to believe you wouldn't already be buying this automatically).

Right now it's unquestionably Monster Hunter: World.
Looks like everything except the last one are for other systems. I only have an xbone.

Looks like everything except the last one are for other systems. I only have an xbone.
I saw that, but I can't change what the "It" games are.

There was pretty much nothing last year for Xbone. PUBG and Fortnite: Battle Royale are easily the most popular games on Xbox right now, but both are focused purely on competitive multiplayer. Same for Overwatch.

You could look into Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Wolfenstein II: Colossus, Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, or Assassin's Creed:Origins, but if we're being real, none of those are anywhere close to the caliber of game you're describing in the OP. Cuphead is actually the most acclaimed game last year, but of course it's an indie.

Anthem, by BioWare, is among the most anticipated games of this type coming up.

I saw that, but I can't change what the "It" games are.

There was pretty much nothing last year for Xbone. PUBG and Fortnite: Battle Royale are easily the most popular games on Xbox right now, but both are focused purely on competitive multiplayer. Same for Overwatch.

You could look into Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Wolfenstein II: Colossus, Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, or Assassin's Creed:Origins, but if we're being real, none of those are anywhere close to the caliber of game you're describing in the OP. Cuphead is actually the most acclaimed game last year, but of course it's an indie.

Anthem, by BioWare, is among the most anticipated games of this type coming up.
Ugh, can't stand EA and their microtransactions. Thanks

It's crazy how Xbox purchasers got hammered this last year tbh. I feel like it's actually going to get worse thanks to the success of the switch as well. I decided awhile back that I would buy an xbox when they had 2 exclusives I really wanted to play so I wasn't buying the entire system for just one game but so far only forza happened.

It really hasn't had an iconic release yet has it?

It's just mind boggling. Sorry dude.

Got one more for you that is highly popular right now; you check out Sea of Thieves? Huge on Twitch. Can't believe I forgot that.

Upcoming:
https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/12/29/16822542/top-50-games-of-2018
Far Cry 5 if you're a fan of the series. Metal Gear: Survive and Vampyr look interesting, but not groundbreaking or life-changing.
I played the first level of far cry 4 and it didn't hook me but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance to get good.

I know I probably come off as a picky bastard but I will pass on metal gear. I already was put off by konami and how they handled kojima. Now I hear that mgs actually charges $10 for save slots. I won't buy games that do this on the principle of the matter.

As for sea of thieves, I'll have to give that a look. I was at gamestop a couple weeks ago and the employee was raving about that and we happy few. He was pretty passionate about video games, even had a tattoo sleeve of mario and Nintendo character. It reminded me of when I used to get super excited about the release of the aforementioned games. I questioned if it was just me getting older and less enthusiastic or if xbox releases had been a bit lackluster in recent years.

Last edited:
I played the first level of far cry 4 and it didn't hook me but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance to get good.

I know I probably come off as a picky bastard but I will pass on metal gear. I already was put off by konami and how they handled kojima. Now I hear that mgs actually charges $10 for save slots. I won't buy games that do this on the principle of the matter.

As for sea of thieves, I'll have to give that a look. I was at gamestop a couple weeks ago and the employee was raving about that and we happy few. He was pretty passionate about video games, even had a tattoo sleeve of mario and Nintendo character. It reminded me of when I used to get super excited about the release of the aforementioned games. I questioned if it was just me getting older and less enthusiastic or if xbox releases had been a bit lackluster in recent years.

I'm 34 and in the last year was jacked out of my mind excited about: Nioh, HZD, Nier: Automata, and MH: World. I mean I had a friend get together for Nioh, HZD, and MH: World I actually funded a friend getting a PS4 and paid for a friend to travel to come hang out so we could have a big hangout. You definitely have to have a game to be excited over but to me the only thing that has changed over time for me is I have far more resources to devote to enjoying the experiences. BTW I have a wife and 3 kids but I work hard and my wife is happy to humor my only real hobby. I basically just work and do family stuff outside of the occasional gaming event.

BTW I have a wife and 3 kids but I work hard and my wife is happy to humor my only real hobby.
I know it's sad that you HAD to mention this cause of the cliche that serious gamers are usually basement dwelling neckbeards <45>

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Total War: Warhammer 2

Best PC game 2017.

Runs great, looks great, tons of replayability, incredible mod support, incredible value.

It's crazy how Xbox purchasers got hammered this last year tbh. I feel like it's actually going to get worse thanks to the success of the switch

lol if Xbox game developers don't make good games this year it won't be because the switch exists

lol if Xbox game developers don't make good games this year it won't be because the switch exists

Partially I agree but I think he meant that developers are seriously looking at making games for the switch as well. Tons of remakes and older games are coming over to the switch and that’s taking away resources.

But yeah ms is in trouble IF switch is one of the causes but I don’t think so (yet). They have a solid user base so they’re not going anywhere anytime soon..

I know it's sad that you HAD to mention this cause of the cliche that serious gamers are usually basement dwelling neckbeards <45>

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I still know a lot of people who feel bad they are gaming when they have responsibilities and so they have a hard time enjoying them. It makes me sad so I like to encourage people in that area. It's okay to be a grown man and enjoy games... thats my point.

Last edited:

"Xbox game developers." Does Xbox own any studios? Companies pay big money for exclusives and companies have a choice to go with them or not. In the case of nier: automata Xbox didn't even get a consideration. It wasn't even that Sony paid them they just didn't feel it was worth their time. Ouch.

It certainly did not help MS that the developer of titanfall said that going with MS was a big mistake early on. I imagine considering they have literally half the base MS has to dig pretty deep into their pockets to get exclusives right now.

"Xbox game developers." Does Xbox own any studios? Companies pay big money for exclusives and companies have a choice to go with them or not. In the case of nier: automata Xbox didn't even get a consideration. It wasn't even that Sony paid them they just didn't feel it was worth their time. Ouch.

It certainly did not help MS that the developer of titanfall said that going with MS was a big mistake early on. I imagine considering they have literally half the base MS has to dig pretty deep into their pockets to get exclusives right now.

Microsoft own/work with a few First Party game studios and second party sutdios under the Microsoft Studios Setup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios#Software_development_studios

Just to add to Your Nier point,For Nier : Automata, due to the Xbox not being a strong seller/prescene in Japan they wouldn't port it https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/768303/Nier-Automata-Xbox-One-update-release-date

Last edited:
You should play DOOM, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Prey. In my opinion those games are masterpieces, and although they're shooters each one does something a little different. DOOM places a huge emphasis on action-over-story, Wolfenstein has a ton of action but is also anchored by an incredibly good story, and Prey is basically this generation's System Shock, with an outstanding story, RPG-like progression, and some really creative weapons and enemies.

I'd go as far as to say that those three games are the best first-person shooters we've seen since Half-Life 2, by far. The only two games that might come close to challenging them are Dishonored and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

As far as upcoming games go:
Cyberpunk 2077 from CD Projekt

They claim it'll be much larger and more ambitious than The Witcher 3, and knowing CD Projekt it's destined to be an all-time great. We probably won't get it until at least 2020 though.

Last edited:
Back