Whats the simplest, easiest takedown in real life?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was messing around with some friends the other day (who don't train) as a joke, but while I was able to do single leg takedowns and double underhook sweeps, etc, I was still surprised by how hard it was for me to take down even untrained people. I just imagined if this was was a real fight, I would get my face smashed in before I can take them down, and in that case, what good is BJJ self defense?

whats the safest, easiest, and quickest way to take down the average joe on the street? Is it a single leg? double leg? get the double underhooks (assuming you can close the distance like that) and sweep them to their backs?

Sadly, we don't really train too many takedowns at my academy. We do, just like maybe one day a month or something like that.

On a side note, holy **** I was utterly surprised how easy it is to strangle people who don't train. This is something that while you hear others say, you dont really appreciate it until you actually roll with untrained people. Its obscenely easy, even against those who watch MMA and at least know basic BJJ setups, etc. We train day in and day out against other trained people that we forget how terrible we were before we started training.

Simple body lock and trip. Trick is not dragging them on top of you while descending

giphy.webp

I spent last 6 years trying to figure that out in judo. I am almost there, stay tuned. There must be some shortcut...

Bear hug or blast double. If you could spend more time working standup techniques then a regular standing double or single would be too easy on untrained people.

Wrestling is a very important and a surprisingly underutilized martial considering the popularity of MMA and bjj.

Simple body lock and trip. Trick is not dragging them on top of you while descending

Definitely this for me. Get good at arm drag to body lock from behind and trip them backwards and land in side/leg drag. I hit it in tournaments and I'm no great wrestler I'm pretty sure I can hit it against untrained people.

Then again I drill arm drags from everywhere alot. Find it's underused weapon by most

Last edited:
Bear hug or blast double. If you could spend more time working standup techniques then a regular standing double or single would be too easy on untrained people.

Wrestling is a very important and a surprisingly underutilized martial considering the popularity of MMA and bjj.

Bear hug meaning litereally double underhooks or arms wrapped around opponent, then just a simple trip to their backs?

Definitely this for me. Get good at arm drag to body lock from behind and trip them backwards and land in side/leg drag. I hit it in tournaments and I'm no great wrestler I'm pretty sure I can hit it against untrained people.

Then again I still arm drags from everywhere alot. Find it's underused weapon by most

Arm drags are awesome, I agree

Bear hug meaning litereally double underhooks or arms wrapped around opponent, then just a simple trip to their backs?
Either, double unders, one arm trapped or both arms trapped. If you body lock around the small of the back and pull in while driving into their chest with your head they will fold over like laundry, making the outside trip a mere formality.

Either a bear hug to a trip or a head snap and a sprawl. Single legs are tricky because noobs tend to get headlocks, crank them and never let go. If you mess your entry a bit you could end up stuck like an idiot in a headlock for 2-3 minutes waiting for their arm to tire out.

I just imagined if this was was a real fight, I would get my face smashed in before I can take them down, and in that case, what good is BJJ self defense?

You need to look at your skill set and realign your expectations, homeboy. If you have 1-2 years of BJJ, no wrestling, no hands, and no size or athleticism, then styling on people in fistfights is probably outside of your capabilities radius.

Try to look at Self-defense in terms of not getting K.O.'ed or sexually violated. The next time you're hanging with the boyzzz, ask them to throw you a beating or take your virginity. If you can stop them, you're learning something useful.

You need to look at your skill set and realign your expectations, homeboy. If you have 1-2 years of BJJ, no wrestling, no hands, and no size or athleticism, then styling on people in fistfights is probably outside of your capabilities radius.

Thats exactly what I was asking: something practical, not flashy, and reasonably easy and effective to use against someone who isn't trained i.e the average joe.

Thats exactly what I was asking: something practical, not flashy, and reasonably easy and effective to use against someone who isn't trained i.e the average joe.

What I'm saying is that you might not be able to take him down. You can watch old fights where Royce fails to get a takedown on TMA jobbers. Tying up on the feet to avoid punches and using the guard to stall or stand back up might be your ceiling in a given fight. This takedown is good for most jobbers, though.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that you might not be able to take him down. You can watch old fights where Royce fails to get a takedown on TMA jobbers. Tying up on the feet to avoid punches and using the guard to stall or stand back up might be your ceiling in a given fight. This takedown is good for most jobbers, though.

If Im being realistic, and like you said based on my lack of wrestling/athletic/natural abilities, that very first takedown in that video is probably my best bet. Its not pretty (at all), but its the simplest.

I dont know, just have to think about that stuff.

He's saying it's not about "knowing" what to do, but about training what to do. If you don't train takedowns you probably won't be hitting them. The good news is that you shouldn't have to worry about someone getting on top of you and knocking you out or getting your cheeks took because you train how to deal with those situations.

I actually think its something like this once you're not shirtless on a beach in Rio myself.

Jerk them forward a little then drive their head over their back foot with your grip as you move into their space and the average person is falling. You may not even need do actually do a Kouchi Gari you can probably just run them over once you have them unbalanced.

Do you mean take down where you go down to the ground with opponent?

Or do you mean "takedown" where the opponent goes down and you remain standing?

Back