Whats the simplest, easiest takedown in real life?

There was a guy (later friend) in elementary school that was double my weight and I had to wrestle him every day without knowing what wrestling was, you have to constantly feel the weight shifts and be faster it's not gonna work otherwise.

An easy osotogari or the tried and true double leg. Fireman's carry isn't a bad one either.

Yep this is the simplest one. I got decked hard by this guy after a bar and fell right into him, bear hugged him and slammed him on the ground and got into mount easily. Didn't even need to use the trip because I was amazed at how much stronger I was than him even though he was the taller guy I was in much better shape.

Honestly, unless you are dealing with a guy who's so fat you literally can not even reach your hands all the way around him (in which case, you may not have to worry so much about other options), then if ever you get your hands locked around a guys lower back, it's pretty much a done deal. Even if it's someone significantly larger than you, it's pretty much a done deal.

Eg:

(1:50, 6:15)

Honestly, unless you are dealing with a guy who's so fat you literally can not even reach your hands all the way around him (in which case, you may not have to worry so much about other options), then if ever you get your hands locked around a guys lower back, it's pretty much a done deal. Even if it's someone significantly larger than you, it's pretty much a done deal.

Eg:

(1:50, 6:15)

Very nice. That was a great match as well. I've never seen an arm triangle finish like that.

But its one of the hardest doubles to hit as far as technique.

The best double that requires the least technique was Stephan Neal blast double.

I have coached thousands of athletes. The one thing I try to do with beginners, is teach them things that heavyweights use well. Heavyweights are smart. They can score points, they take little risk, they dont rely on difficult technique, and they use moves that are energy efficient. These are things that new wrestlers should focus on.

Is there a technical breakdown of this online anywhere? I don’t know much about wrestling so I struggle to see the differences.

Is there a technical breakdown of this online anywhere? I don’t know much about wrestling so I struggle to see the differences.

The kinds of double legs you often see Burroughs perform in competition are often predicated on the fact that many of his opponents are often practically crawling on all fours, specifically to try to stop his double legs.

If he were to be engaging someone with a more upright, you would likely see a much more 'classical' set up penetration and finish.

~*hot opinions incoming*~
I do think though, that in any case, Burroughs' methodologies are still some things that may be profitably analogized for use by a broad(er) range of other persons, or be something that could be more easily adapted to a methodology more appropriate for contexts like cage fighting, relative too some others. Keep in mind the guy is no spring chicken at this point; a lot of people thought he was over the hill already two years ago even, yet even at his age (in wrestling years) he can still put the best guys in the world down. There's an irony i can appreciate in the idea that a guy who for years was a posterchild for athleticism could in fact have what you might call an 'old man style'.

Last edited:
football tackle, aka double-leg takedown. anybody who tells you differently has a shitty double-leg.

If you're trying to take down and untrained person, honestly a football tackle is easiest and most effective. The issue is hitting your head on the ground.

There's a very small chance an untrained person will know a guillotine or when to apply it.

Like others have said it basically depends on what you've trained to do. Size also makes a difference in what type of takedown you should attempt.

Duck unders seem to be effective on a variety of untrained individuals, most people don't expect an arm drag. You're also safe from punches if you get to their side/back. You can also initiate a more controlled takedown if you are from the side/back.

Back