grubburg2

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
not the position where you're grabbing the leg which is by your head:
how-to-pass-the-deep-half-guard-by-dimitrius-souza-300x150.jpg

but the position where you're grabbing the leg by your legs
the-homer-simpson-with-jeff-glover-300x150.jpg

it seems like almost all of the instruction is about the top pic, but i'm curious about this bottom variation because it seems more natural. does anyone specialize in it? is it a different kind of deep half? Thanks.

Some people will call it "very deep half" guard, but it's the variant that Hall and Glover primarily played- i'm actually a little surprised that David plays it, as taller people tend not to have to do the extra work to get a lever at the end of the leg.

Some people will call it "very deep half" guard, but it's the variant that Hall and Glover primarily played- i'm actually a little surprised that David plays it, as taller people tend not to have to do the extra work to get a lever at the end of the leg.

Yeah, I just call this Glover-style deep half, but don't miss the point-- somebody who prefers the Glover style (typically smaller guys) will still play the other style as the situation dictates. When I think of Hall style, I think of elevator hooks instead of a locked half guard.

Funny enough, I consider Glover's version true deep half. The others are variations.

Personally i always specify it as near leg or far leg deep half whenever necessary.

Last edited:
not the position where you're grabbing the leg which is by your head:
how-to-pass-the-deep-half-guard-by-dimitrius-souza-300x150.jpg

but the position where you're grabbing the leg by your legs
the-homer-simpson-with-jeff-glover-300x150.jpg

it seems like almost all of the instruction is about the top pic, but i'm curious about this bottom variation because it seems more natural. does anyone specialize in it? is it a different kind of deep half? Thanks.
The bottom is Jeff Glover and the only deep half he really plays is all limbs devoted to the trapped leg (favorite uncle or koala style) and it's the only type of deep half that works for me.

He has several instructionals on deep half that focus on this style. If you like single legs then it's a great guard. Most of the sweeps involve coming up on a single either from the front angle or going out the back door and coming up to one. You can also get butterfly hooks under their leg and lift the leg to assist with the sweep or again come out the back door and take the back or come up onto a leg drag. There are also some good leg lock entries from using your butterfly hooks under their trapped leg.

I learned deep half from a Paragon guy, so I play it committed to one leg. The basic Homer Simpson sweep still gets me plenty of mileage.

I attack the legs when I get the far leg grip.

By the way, this is a great guard to play against big heavy guys. Knocks us off balance and give you the speed/scramble advantage. Gotta be active with it though.

I learned deep half from a Paragon guy, so I play it committed to one leg. The basic Homer Simpson sweep still gets me plenty of mileage.

I attack the legs when I get the far leg grip.

Homer simpson is easy money.

In the Faria style deep half you hold the hip to stop your opponent from passing over your head into reverse half guard.

In the Faria style deep half you hold the hip to stop your opponent from passing over your head into reverse half guard.

I would say the #1 thing that keeps me from playing deep half guard more often is that ultimately there's no way to prevent a savvy opponent from getting to reverse half, no matter which variation you play. Even if you have a good RH game like Jake Mackenzie, it's just a very unpleasant spot to be, especially if your opponent sits on you.

I would say the #1 thing that keeps me from playing deep half guard more often is that ultimately there's no way to prevent a savvy opponent from getting to reverse half, no matter which variation you play. Even if you have a good RH game like Jake Mackenzie, it's just a very unpleasant spot to be, especially if your opponent sits on you.
I think Jake prefers to play bottom reverse half, he has many good sweeps/back takes from there, so he just lets them get there. With Faria it is the opposite. When he reaches for the lapel for the Faria sweep he lets go of the hip. But as soon as he sense an attempt to pass over his head he will let go and grab the hip. Also, a higher posture with your head resting on the thigh makes passing to reverse half harder.

I think Jake prefers to play bottom reverse half, he has many good sweeps/back takes from there, so he just lets them get there. With Faria it is the opposite. When he reaches for the lapel for the Faria sweep he lets go of the hip. But as soon as he sense an attempt to pass over his head he will let go and grab the hip. Also, a higher posture with your head resting on the thigh makes passing to reverse half harder.

there's lots of effective variations for sure. my point is that you will inevitably have to deal with opponents who get to reverse half, whether by backstepping, stepping over, or just in recovery from a bad pull. it's the number one 'things my parents never told me about...' playing half guard. Mad respect to the half guard players of the world for grinding out sweeps the way they do, but that grind has always been the bridge too far for me.

there's lots of effective variations for sure. my point is that you will inevitably have to deal with opponents who get to reverse half, whether by backstepping, stepping over, or just in recovery from a bad pull. it's the number one 'things my parents never told me about...' playing half guard. Mad respect to the half guard players of the world for grinding out sweeps the way they do, but that grind has always been the bridge too far for me.

Phillipe De La Monica is another guy that specializes in reverse half; he of 'sweeping Rafa Mendes twice in the same match with the same move' fame.

Phillipe De La Monica is another guy that specializes in reverse half; he of 'sweeping Rafa Mendes twice in the same match with the same move' fame.

i'm very familiar with phillipe. but one thing that always stands out to me when i see that video of the rafa match is how phillipe has to use so much creative and well-applied technique to sweep rafa, but rafa is able to sweep him right back each time in like 2 seconds. i know rafa's rafa, but it reinforces my personal aversion to deep half guard as a primary weapon: i can sweep somebody much easier without having to suffer a dogfight or having to rely on an element of surprise.

Back