Whats up with gsp not doing any s&c

MarinoH

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I know he does gymnastics now mostly but i've seen a video of him saying that s&c is a waste of time and i think it makes sense because you will get better at fighting by actually fighting. Punching heavybag will increase your punching power more than lifting weights. Also doing more rounds will invrease your cardio more than running. What do you think guys?

If you can get GSP's muscle mass, strength and power without any dedicated strength & power training, then you might fine without it.

Well, if you're the best in the world at fighting you have arrived at a point where doing anything else than your sport is probably going to be detrimental to your performance.

Instead of looking at what GSP is doing now, I'd rather look at what he did to get to where he is. I guarantee you that he did a lot of GPP/S&C earlier in his career.

It's pretty well known that GSP really started taking his S&C pretty seriously after the beating he took from Serra. I remember seeing training footage of him doing heavy weighted pull ups before the Koscheck fight and his new coach saying he had difficulty just performing 10 strict chin ups when they first started working with him. Now, I'm sure that's a hype job from the training, "hey he couldn't do any pull ups, over the course of 5 weeks he's cranking out reps with 90lbs hanging from his waist".

According to his grappling coach he does do s/c. Just likes to switch it up and.

I guess that is a new opinion, I have seen him with a barbell a few times. I doubt strength training was ever a big priority anyways.

He is where he is at now, because he began doing things like this.

From what I recall watching a Firhas video he said that GSP tested with a naturally high vo2 max, so spending a lot of time on cardio/conditioning was a bad use of his training time. I'm guessing that extra training time was put to use on skills, drills, and technique.

In contrast the other fighters in Zahabi's stable do spend time on cardio because they test average. It looks like Zahabi provides a personalized approach rather than a one size fits all S&C program, which is unsurprising at that level.

hes such a freak athlete and done so many years of lifting ect that he prob doesnt need it he feels just as long as he trains hard in the gym hell id love to just skill train only than to sac or strength training

Pretty sure that Stipe doesn't do any lifting either anymore which is highly understandable for an athlete at such a high level.

Back