Whats up with Rizin?

Their fans, most of the negativity towards it is from the west who RIZIN doesn't care about.

You are correct. The English commentary has been dog shit.

Sengoku needs to make a comeback.

The most important thing for them now is to give fights that japanese audience want to see. That is the way to build stabile home fan base that will watch their events regulary and provide income and financial stability for the promotion, and to increase number of events per year.

And after that is achieved, then will be the time to go for serious strenghtening of the divisions. You have to take one step at the time.

Once they build a stabile base of home fans, consumers and audience, then they can gather and purchase avaliable talent and free agents, or even overpay some more than they can get elswhere just to get them and strenghten the roster.

This, people act like Pride become a worldwide phenom overnight.

RENA is one of their biggest draws and her fights have gotten some of their highest ratings on Fuji TV.

They built an entire tournament just for her basically.

Them dumping her in favor of pleasing a handful of foreign fans who don't really increase their ratings would a horrendous idea from a buisness perspective.

it's a catch-22, though. making a tourney around one fighter is a joke. they don't seem to have any depth/anyone worth a damn for her to fight. or for most of the 'named' fighters on their roster. it's kind of crap.

It usually seems ominous, but right before the fight night they usually pull it together nicely.

RENA is one of their biggest draws and her fights have gotten some of their highest ratings on Fuji TV.

They built an entire tournament just for her basically.

Them dumping her in favor of pleasing a handful of foreign fans who don't really increase their ratings would a horrendous idea from a buisness perspective.

I understand, but thats exactly what im saying, IM not happy. Im sure millions of Japs are jerking off to Gabi garcia killing a grandma and plain sight of KING Reina... I guess i just wanted that feeling of Pride to be back, but this just has a way different scent to the whole thing...

Rena warming up the fans, appearing on variety shows. She got a segment featuring her two French bull dogs waiting at home while she trains. Miyu was supposed to do similar but lost.

Also i would like if they dumped WMMA. Japan doesnt need wmma, never did, never had good female fighters, i have no idea why they doing it now. They got like 5 WMMA fights on next card, noone ever heard about any of those girls, many of them are from pro wrestling and dont know how to throw a straight punch, and i just dont get the point of it, its watering down what already is a heavily watered down product.

Anyway, im not happy...
Only Russian organizations like ACB and War Criminal FC don't have WMMA.

MMA as a whole has left you behind.

not hearing any talk about next weekend's cards.

it's a catch-22, though. making a tourney around one fighter is a joke. they don't seem to have any depth/anyone worth a damn for her to fight. or for most of the 'named' fighters on their roster. it's kind of crap.

Japan doesn't care about that. Only North Americans. And we are not anywhere on their radar in terms of give a fucks

Rizin can have Gabi fighting bums off the street for all I care. As long as I get my dose of Lenne Hardt for NYE I'm happy.

This is how you know 90% of sherdog knew jack shit about Pride but wanna post about it cuz they wanna seems cool. I remember motherfuckas posting during the first event saying dumb shit like "this screaming lady is terrible, they need to bring back the Pride announcer!"

Im very disappointed in where Rizin is going as a promotion...

I mean, Gabi Garcia fighting another grandma? Who the hell wants to see that?

I don't mind it because it means I'm going to go take a piss, grab a snack, or just stare at the wall. One intermission isn't enough for these marathon shows.

Japan doesn't care about that. Only North Americans. And we are not anywhere on their radar in terms of give a fucks

cool, because i really don't give a fuck about rizin, at this point. so we're both content.

Their fans, most of the negativity towards it is from the west who RIZIN doesn't care about.

All of this just wrong, way wrong

Wait wait wait... So youre actually defending Rizin on this card, and making Gabi Garcia kill another grandma? You happy with it? You think its a good move huh?

Wait wait wait... So youre actually defending Rizin on this card, and making Gabi Garcia kill another grandma? You happy with it? You think its a good move huh?
This BWGP is pretty good. Also the SAWGP has some exciting fighters if you like WMMA. I don't see Gabi vs Grandma as any dangerous than the UFC booking Diego Sanchez or BJ Penn. Those fighters have a lot of miles and thousands of more strikes absorbed than Kandori. Plus Gabi has shit striking. It is still bad.

I would go into more detail, but nobody has ever had their viewpoint changed on Sherdog.

The most important thing for them now is to give fights that japanese audience want to see. That is the way to build stabile home fan base that will watch their events regulary and provide income and financial stability for the promotion, and to increase number of events per year.

And after that is achieved, then will be the time to go for serious strenghtening of the divisions. You have to take one step at the time.

Once they build a stabile base of home fans, consumers and audience, then they can gather and purchase avaliable talent and free agents, or even overpay some more than they can get elswhere just to get them and strenghten the roster.
You are dreaming if you ever think it will be more then this. Rizin is a cash grab for pride fanboys and what little audience is left in Japan.

I'm just saying the Japanese fans wanted that fight. Go look at the reaction among Japanese fans, it's far more positive than that of western fans. Yes, I like the cards, there's a lot of good stuff outside of that fight.

Your take on RIZIN not needing WMMA is so far off the mark. Outside of Tenshin their biggest draws have all been women. Shinju was one of their highest rated fights in her debut, RENA is always one of their top 2 ratings, and Kandori should bring good ratings. One event they had a whole block of WMMA fights for their Fujii TV broadcast and it was their peak rating.

The whole "Japan never had good female fighters" is grossly ignorant when many consider Megumi Fujii the GOAT of WMMA, they had the current #1 Atomweight and Invicta champion before she moved up, and are the ones that began WMMA way back in the 90s.

Im very disappointed in where Rizin is going as a promotion...

I mean, Gabi Garcia fighting another grandma? Who the hell wants to see that?
Is that you're takeaway from these cards though? To me it's clear that the focus is on showcasing in-prime talent or promising prospects. The Crocop, Takanori Gomi, and Gabi Garcia fights aren't even in the top 3 portion of either event.

Last edited:
Back