What's your honest reaction to drilling or sparring with a woman?

I've had some great female drilling partners. They're not looking to teach me, not looking to prove my move doesn't work, they just go along with my drills and I give them the same courtesy.

I can't say if that's moreuniversal or just lucky. But I've also had the same luck with old people.

There's something about youth and testosterone that makes poor drilling partners. My experience anyway.
This. My best partner for drilling and some positional rolling is a 120 female blue belt. Her technique is off the charts and she’s mean as hell. She’s been praised by demian for her abilities and she’s hard to sweep and will fight to the death for grips. I’ll take her over some 20 something dude trying to win adcc when we roll and spazzes.

I roll in a way that I can get something out of every match. If I'm bigger or more experienced I'll cater to their strengths to improve myself, whether it's a man or a woman.

I'd take an 80 pound female white belt who will move continuously for 5 minutes over the piece of shit dudes who go hard for 30 seconds, gas, and insist on taking a mid roll break any day of the week. Scum of the goddamn earth.

I act like it's just another day at the office. I feel a little awkward when I push off on a titty or something. It's only weird if you make it weird. Other than that, it's just another day at the office.

You think pushing off is awkward? Most of my sweeps for years have been butterfly or half/deep half.

I've never overthought it. I think in that respect, I've been lucky or that we've done well with new members in that everyone accepts that it's a part of the sport and there's nothing inherently "weird" about it

I treat them the same as I would a guy their size. Small chicks I go easy on unless their technique is up to snuff, and bigger girls get full rolls if they can hang.

You think pushing off is awkward? Most of my sweeps for years have been butterfly or half/deep half.

I've never overthought it. I think in that respect, I've been lucky or that we've done well with new members in that everyone accepts that it's a part of the sport and there's nothing inherently "weird" about it

LOL you missed my point. It's not the pushing off that's awkward. It's pushing off on their breasts. But it's only weird if you make it weird.

LOL you missed my point. It's not the pushing off that's awkward. It's pushing off on their breasts. But it's only weird if you make it weird.

I agree and I have been in those situations like with my face smashed into their tits. I think for a moment to myself that I actually have tits smashed into my mouth and face but I just shrug and keep rolling and nobody cares. The girls didn't seem to care either. We just kept rolling normally. I also have had guys crotch and ass in my face and there's just nothing sexual about it any of it so it's not weird

I agree and I have been in those situations like with my face smashed into their tits. I think for a moment to myself that I actually have tits smashed into my mouth and face but I just shrug and keep rolling and nobody cares. The girls didn't seem to care either. We just kept rolling normally. I also have had guys crotch and ass in my face and there's just nothing sexual about it any of it so it's not weird

LOL. that's one way to say it. But yeah, basically, ,we have different body parts. Sometimes those body parts get all over the place. But you gotta stay focused and remember that we're participating in a sport.

I know what you were getting at. And that last sentence was exactly what I meant.

I roll with a female purple belt sometimes and she's easily the most difficult non black belt to deal with. Impossible to pass her guard, super flexible, can put on triangles from any position. She's the exception to the rule though in our gym, and most of the time I take it slowly and easy if I'm rolling with a girl

-If she's experienced and capable?
-If she's less experienced but not a total spaz?
-If she's smaller than you?
-If she's a total newb spaz?

Anecdotes welcome. I'm curious.

I am like "just don't get a boner don't get a boner don't get a boner" then 5 seconds later I am like "ahhahaidfhaofiadhoadfaofhah"
Major case of pre-jack

Being 185LBS, I hate it when the 220 + guys are in full smash mode against me.

Keep taking your Flinstone vitamins and some day you will be a full mangrown

I'm pretty surprised by many peoples answers on here. As a 4 stripe blue, 6'4 200 lbs and athletic I learn a lot rolling with women. I use the same strength they have and try to beat them 100% on pure technique without using size or rely on athleticism. I also notice most woman are super flexible (me not so much) so they can do things I can't which I like to try and work against. Sometimes I will give them a position to work my way out, without using strength. It tightens up my technical abilities that way and am willing to help them on what they want to work on as well. Most woman I have rolled with are blue belts or less so maybe that is why my mindset is the way it is but I do notice other dudes avoid them but I don't at all.

I did recently roll with a woman from another school who just got her black belt and weighed I would guess around 140 lbs. With her, I did go 100% and used everything I had, I most certainly had to. It was a great roll, no one tapped and we were 50/50 in controlled positions. But again, I'm 60+ lbs heavier, stronger and more athletic but her technique is superior to mine. So that was one exception. Her flexibility and quick transitions tired me the hell out, I will tell you that much.

I generally try to avoid rolling with women at my gym because the heaviest one of them is only about 140lbs. I don't use strength against them and we can have good rolls, but it just doesn't feel the same when your opponent can't apply any significant pressure.

+1
I hate this. I'm 175ish and pretty fast. After they get frustrated with my movement, it's immediately to smash mode. I try to avoid rolling with big guys of similar skill level to me for that reason. If they're better than me, they use technique and we can have good rolls. If they're similar, I find myself sore as fuck after fending off neck crank attempts for an hour.

So learn to work against the smash? I am smaller than you and love when I get smashed by big guys. If I work out of it I know I did my progressions correctly.

I just told a big guy at the gym this week. "Don't be afraid to smash me. I am not afraid to use my speed against you. God gave me speed and you size. Use what you were given."

So learn to work against the smash? I am smaller than you and love when I get smashed by big guys. If I work out of it I know I did my progressions correctly.

I just told a big guy at the gym this week. "Don't be afraid to smash me. I am not afraid to use my speed against you. God gave me speed and you size. Use what you were given."
Congrats, I think you may be the first female on the grappling forum, lol.

It depends for me. If she knows what she is doing, I will roll how I will normally, but if I know I am clearly better, I will let the woman have things like easy sweeps or passes. I always try to pass their guard though, for I hate being stuck there.

I don't understand your sarcasm ???
Maybe because I wasn't trying to be sarcastic ???

I have only seen around 4 females on sherdog, and they were usually in the Mayberry lounge. I have never seen a female go as far into the grappling forums, lol.

It is nice to see

I have only seen around 4 females on sherdog, and they were usually in the Mayberry lounge. I have never seen a female go as far into the grappling forums, lol.

It is nice to see

You know I (OP) am female, no? That's why I started the thread. Lol.

Nice to see more as well tho :)

It is nice to see

You know I (OP) am female, no? That's why I started the thread. Lol.

Nice to see more as well tho :)

I am a dude. Granted I am weak and old, but still a dude.

I am a dude. Granted I am weak and old, but still a dude.

Yeah... I didn't read your post as saying you were female, but that other poster had me confused. Hey, at least you still have your speed. That's supposed to be the first to go as you age. I'm not looking forward to it.

Back