What's Your Next Purchase? V5

The new Beretta PX4 Storm full size 9mm got it's initial look-see today. It also came with three backstrap options. I switched them out and decided on the one that came installed. The switching sides of the magazine release went much smoother than the CZ. If anything, with the PX4, it was a pain prying the first backstrap off.

I like the gun. I'd shot a friend's compact in the past. Slide removal/install is the easiest ever. Just pull down on two small levers (one on each side) and push the slide forward. To put it on you put it on. Other than being a little pokey to my sensitive digits it's perfect.

Comparing triggers to the Beretta M9, I have to give it to the M9 overall. The DA feels more or less the same on both. In SA the M9 seems to have less takeup but most of that could be due to the PX4 having more curve on the trigger. Break seems about the same but the M9 brings the hammer down a bit more. Reset goes to the M9. Trigger pulls feels lighter on the PX4.

There's a tiny chirping noise on the PX4 when the hammer is going back. I need to figure that out next.

beretta-px4-full-size.jpg

EDIT: Hoping for magic, I threw some break free in a couple spots (a spring and a moving piece that might be rubbing the slide). Maybe a little. It's only noticeable when you thumb-cock the hammer. Maybe it's caused by sideways pressure from my thumb because there noise isn't there when instead it's the trigger causing the hammer to travel rearward. Strange. <shrug>

I liked the PX4 9mm that I shot. I actually shot better with it than my 92FS.

Have you modded your M9? If not, you can swap the mainspring out with a mainspring from the 92D models. If youre curious, just google "Beretta 92 D spring swap". I did this on my 92F and 96FS Vertec. It lighted the DA pull by about 2lbs and SA pull by about 1lb and I havent seen any issues with light strikes on primers or any malfunctions. Easiest $5 trigger job out there as it only took a few minutes to do.

Got my first optic today. Ordered the Bushnell TRS-25 for my AR. Currently its flat top no sights at all

In the last "Next Purchase" thread Larry acquired a CZ 97B and raved. He got me wanting one. There seem to be different versions of the model and I opted for this one. I like the black grips (instead of brown) and the red fiber optic front sight.

01412-1-large.jpg

This is very similar to the CZ 75. It's beefed up a little and only comes with a left-side safety and it has a barrel nut on the front of the slide.

The trigger seems the same as the 85 Combat (ambi-version of the 75). In DA I'd call it smooth and somewhat heavy. SA has that same gritty creep to it. Reset seems about average. CZ triggers, in DA, I have to reach for. The distance in SA is much closer to perfect for me.

They put some slim grips on there so it feels more like a 1911 than the 75. They're longer from front to back than either and the frame extends down further too.

All the controls function smoothly. Same with the slide. So far I love it. If it shoots well this is going to be one bad motherfucker.

Speaking of the 75, I got a great price on an SP-01 9mm (~$540 all in). It's basically the updated CZ 75. It's got all my favorite stuff (all steel, DA/SA, frame-mounted ambi safety).

27813-DEFAULT-L.jpg

They might have tightened up the SA trigger and shortened the reset on this one a little bit, although the DA seems to be heavier. At least that's how it feels.

The grips are more comfortable than the 97B. They're basically the 85 grips but with extra humps where the thumb and trigger finger go. Like an ambi Ergo Suregrip. It feels GREAT in my hand. The mag release is extended and will moved to the other side for comfort. Usually I have to shift my grip to hit one with my thumb but that might not be the case with this one. I'm reaching it right handed so that's a good sign.

All slide releases should be as easy as these guns. I don't even like the shape as much as the 97 or 85 (it's thinner/different shape is more abrasive to me) and it's still better than most in terms of not requiring much pressure.

The night sights I like better at night and during the day I kinda liked the fiber optic. It's my first one so maybe that's the novelty effect right now. I expect it to be a straight shooter and if it is I'm pleased as punch with the SP-01.

EDIT: The SP-01 magazine release was reversible. The 97B and 85 Combat are not. The process was easy enough. It's much more comfortable having it's extended presence on the other side. To reiterate, I VERY much like this pistol even though I've basically had the same thing for years. The rail gives it an updated look. I do however like that the 85 has an adjustable rear sight.

Last one for now. The Glock 43 9mm.

G43_Left1__54397.1426783813.1000.1200%20(1).jpg

This is my first Glock. I don't know why I immediately liked this one but not the others. The obvious answer is size. It's so small and cute. :)

Since I already reversed the magazine release I can tell you it's reversible and it's easy. I'm not sure what to compare this to other than maybe the Beretta Tomcat, but that thing kinda sucks so why bother.

I added an extension to the mag so now it holds 7 +1. The trigger seems about right. Definitely not light. The reset is nice and short. I doubt I can say anything about a Glock that hasn't already been said. For $450 I'm happy. No clue how this little sucker is going to shoot though.

I believe this is my first pistol with no safety mechanism on the slide or frame. I could maybe get used to that. Not sure about the big white "U" on the rear sight.

G43_Left1__54397.1426783813.1000.1200%20(1).jpg

This is my first Glock. I don't know why I immediately liked this one but not the others. The obvious answer is size. It's so small and cute. :)

Since I already reversed the magazine release I can tell you it's reversible and it's easy. I'm not sure what to compare this to other than maybe the Beretta Tomcat, but that thing kinda sucks so why bother.

I added an extension to the mag so now it holds 7 +1. The trigger seems about right. Definitely not light. The reset is nice and short. I doubt I can say anything about a Glock that hasn't already been said. For $450 I'm happy. No clue how this little sucker is going to shoot though.

I believe this is my first pistol with no safety mechanism on the slide or frame. I could maybe get used to that. Not sure about the big white "U" on the rear sight.

Changing the sights on a Glock is rather easy. I never liked the ball and bucket design myself. I have several different styles on my Glocks but the solid black Warren tacticals are my favorite.

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/G43_Left1__54397.1426783813.1000.1200%20(1).jpg[/IMG

I believe this is my first pistol with no safety mechanism on the slide or frame. I could maybe get used to that. Not sure about the big white "U" on the rear sight.[/QUOTE]

I like these a lot too but I don't have one yet. I have a glock 26 though and it's one of my favorites. The g26 is a bad little gun and I absolutely love that it will take the 15 or 17 round mags from the 19/17 platform.

There's something awesome about the 26, I honestly think the g19 is the best all around 9mm pistol ever invented. Good for carry, good for duty/nightstand work. But the 26 gets it just a bit smaller.

I used to love carrying a g26 and an extra 17 round mag for a total of 28 rounds. The g26 is accurate as hell too.

As far as single stack glocks go, the 43 looks like they hiring out of the park. I have the glock 36 which is a single stack 45 and I'm like warm on it. For carry its fantastic but as a shooter...meh. I absolutely hate how like 1/3rd of the grip is made of the magazine extension, I wish they had made it with a full length grip and a magazine with a floor plate similar to other glock models.

The issue is the pinching which makes me not like shooting it, so I don't shoot it, so I'm not too good with it....so I don't carry it.

But it carries so well.

For awhile I carried the glock 29 10mm and really loved that one, same size as a glock 30 in 45acp. It's nice to know you have that 10mm power on your hip.

Anyways, I think I'll get a g43. They look awesome. I'll pass on he g42 though, I have absolutely no interest in 380....mone at all, I do t want one when there 9mm pistols that are as carry able.

My best recent purchase was the ruger RedHawk kodiak backpacker.

It's basically a snub nosed 44mag. It has. 2.75" barren and it's a beast. The first time I picked it up, it scared me, it's a formidable weapon for sure but perfect for what it is.

It's meant to be carried a lot and shot a little, I was losing skin on the balm of my thumb after 50 rounds on the thing but it carries well and give you that power you want/need if you are out hiking and fly fishing like me.

My one complaint with it is grip options, I'm sure I could get something custom made but the round but design means that as of now, the grip options are limited. Lien unsaid though, it's a belt fun to have in case of a big animal emergency, not something you take and go shooting paper targets for fun with.

I ended up getting the ruger Alaskan in 454 to compare it to but I was only in the states for a few days and the 453 ammo available locally wasn't what I really wanted so I settled for a bunch of boxes of 45lc. It's also an awesome gun, better grip different trigger feel but something about he old school RedHawk just speaks to me.

The kodiak backpacker is definetly a niche gun, it has a use and it's good for that but not much else. Same with the Alaskan. If I wa doing it over again, I would have got the RedHawk with the 4.2" barrel and the hogue grip.

Don't get me wrong I love the kodiak backpacker for what it is, but if you can only have 1 44 mag, it's probably not the best choice.

Changing the sights on a Glock is rather easy. I never liked the ball and bucket design myself. I have several different styles on my Glocks but the solid black Warren tacticals are my favorite.

I've never changed pistol sights. I saw a video where a guy had a Trigicon HD front sight on a 43. Very appealing. I thought it was Trigicon rear sight to but the pictures I pulled up didn't seem to be the same. What I saw on the trigicon site was more flat across the top while his came to a point (like batman ears or something).

There's something awesome about the 26, I honestly think the g19 is the best all around 9mm pistol ever invented. Good for carry, good for duty/nightstand work. But the 26 gets it just a bit smaller.

Since the 17 and 19 never did anything for me maybe this 26 would be the way to go. I'll keep this in mind.

I hate watching the Thomas Jane version of The Punisher. Always makes me want to custom build these for myself:
GP_SG_Punisher-1.jpg

I've never changed pistol sights. I saw a video where a guy had a Trigicon HD front sight on a 43. Very appealing. I thought it was Trigicon rear sight to but the pictures I pulled up didn't seem to be the same. What I saw on the trigicon site was more flat across the top while his came to a point (like batman ears or something).

Since the 17 and 19 never did anything for me maybe this 26 would be the way to go. I'll keep this in mind.

Many companies use trijicon inserts on their sights... Could have been any number of brands. And if you don't feel like doing it yourself any decent gunsmith (or more experienced person) could change the sights for a small fee.

That's the kodiak backpacker. 44mag in a super solid ruger (Rugers are tanks) RedHawk. It's a 2.75" barrel. I've ordered an extended firing pin and righ country sights for it. I'll carry it in a diamond d Alaskan guide holster while I'm hiking/fly fishing.

I hate watching the Thomas Jane version of The Punisher. Always makes me want to custom build these for myself:
GP_SG_Punisher-1.jpg

Ebay.

The compensator replaces the bushing on the 1911. I have one. It was cheap. Didn't change muzzle rise for me at all.

Edit

Last edited:
My wife bought me one a couple of years ago.

Greatest gun in the world. My absolute favorite handgun. CZ75B magazines are on sale right now for $19 through midwayusa. They fit the SP-01.

I applaud your taste. :)

Thanks for the tip. That's damn cheap for factory mags. The 25 rounders might not fit so well on the SP-01.

This is the CZ 75 limited edition I wanted/want. Last time insane one on a dealers shelf was probably...2010.

I also got the ruger Alaskan 454, it's another "snubby" magnum that is meant for protection from big animals. I like the 453 because I can shoot 45lc and the monster 454 stuff out of it.

This one is different from the backpacker because it's built on the super RedHawk action where the backpacker is built on the RedHawk action.

This thing is a monster (well they both are) but the hogue grip makes it easier to handle. You can actually have fun at the range with this gun and a few boxes of 45lc. The backpacker and a few boxes of 44 mag...not so much.

I got both because I'm moving to Alaska in the near future and wanted something portable with some balls behind because I spend lots orbit enoutside. Anyways, I couldn't decide so I got both.

Both are awesome for their own reasons but I give the slight edge to the backpacker in my opinion.

Anyone who's eschewed bullpups due to the shitty triggers might want to reevaluate. I added the Geissele Super Sabra trigger pack to my Tavor and it was good. Totally reduced the pull. Then I added the Lightning Bow trigger that Geissele makes to compliment the trigger pack. The difference is amazing once both are added. Yeah, I spend the price of a decent handgun with the upgrades. It's worth it. I love this rifle. The 2nd state is 2 lbs. It's almost too light. The the trigger is adjustable to the point where you can make all the slack in the 1st stage disappear. I left some. :eek:

tl;dr: A precision trigger for an awesome bullpup rifle exists. :cool:

Back