What's your next purchase?

Watch out with Henry's new crop. My buddy bought one and the internals were f'ing plastic. They don't make em like they used to.

Thought it was the opposite with Henry; avoid the older models and stick to the newer ones.

Either way, you get what you pay for with a Henry, not to say that they're bad, I'm a happy owner, but they are cheap. That's not to say I believe it will turn into a junk gun in my lifetime, their guns are still pretty good, but it's evident that they cut corners.

However, I do not like their centrefire guns, not having a loading gate makes it too much of a pain in the ass, IMO.

Just picked up another circle 10 mag for $35 and 500 rounds of Brown Bear 7.62x39 for $120. Will report back on how the ammo performs. It says it is polymer coated, not too sure how dirty it is going to be.

Ninety rounds of 7.62x39 Brown Bear down range without a hitch. 9mm Brown Bear, one fail to fire out of 50. I will be buying a few more boxes of 9mm before stocking up, but the 7.62 is a winner and I will being picking up 500 round boxes pretty regularly for the foreseeable future.

Hogue grip makes the gun shoot like a totally different weapon, best $20 upgrade you can do to an AK. Can't wait until next weekend to try up the new stock, it should be on my front porch Tuesday.

Ninety rounds of 7.62x39 Brown Bear down range without a hitch. 9mm Brown Bear, one fail to fire out of 50. I will be buying a few more boxes of 9mm before stocking up, but the 7.62 is a winner and I will being picking up 500 round boxes pretty regularly for the foreseeable future.

Hogue grip makes the gun shoot like a totally different weapon, best $20 upgrade you can do to an AK. Can't wait until next weekend to try up the new stock, it should be on my front porch Tuesday.

The Hogue grip is my favorite AK grip too, and does wonders for control. Hogue also makes a forearm set for the AK- upper and lower- same materials. They have removable rails, too.

Hi krait,
You're correct, there is a difference between a B-west made receiver and a rifle imported to B-west. As long as the rifle came from the Norinco/Polytech factory(s) you're in the clear, I would kick myself in the ass if I paid $600 for a B-west made receiver and the opportunity came knocking not long ago in fact but I declined based on the lack of heat treating with the rifle.

Do you see a 66 or 386 on the rifle? They are generally in the middle of a triangle or oval on the left side of the receiver/trunnion. the 386 factory is the polytech factory where the Polytech Legends were made and 66 is a known Norinco factory though both companies are closely associated with each other. There could be other numbers as well if im not mistaken, like yourself, I only know what Ive read.

Most of these rifles are clearly stamped with Norinco or Polytech, however I am more familiar with the post ban Norinco rifles than I am with the pre-bans which looks to be what you've got there.

Do you know if the serial numbers match on the gas tube as well? I generally want my serial numbers to match on the tube, trunnion, bolt, bolt carrier etc. I passed up a rifle for a good price recently because of this very problem. It doesnt really hurt the function of the rifle, but it does hurt the overall value. It was in rough shape anyway.

You've got something a lot better than a beater rifle I think, I would take care of it if I was you. Shoot the hell out of it of course, but keep it stored in a nice place and keep it relatively clean even though with these rifles there is plenty of room in that department. If you're looking for a trunk/beater rifle, throw $350 on a cheap, used Romanian Century build imo. The Chinese rifles hold value and with the 1989 and 94 assault weapon bans, a lot of people find them desirable.

There is no factory mark on it. But on the left side of the reciever where you mentioned you can see a patch where something was ground off and the polished and refinished. I did some research on that and while not common some importers would grind off the orginal markings and put their importer info in instead. Its still legal as long as the importer markings are there so I'm good there.

I did not know about the gas tube serial number. I will take it apart and look to see if it is there. I am thinking about getting another cheap Ak to make a project out of.

Just picked up a Norinco 91 National Match milled receiver AK 47. Traded a stamped Mak 90 and a CZ 82 for it. Can't wait to get it out to a range and put it through its paces.
(not mine, but identical)
3fe535d9e9dc429b52ff59c237798765.jpg

Finnegan, I am jealous. You've got one hell of a rifle there, let me tell you what. The barrel is .684 in diameter (the heaviest of the popular Norinco rifles to my understanding) and the receiver is 1.5mm thick (much thicker than most AK receivers). The barrel is likely 19 inches long, and essentially you've got a precision grade rifle. In fact on some of the receivers you will see three chinese characters which say something nearly to that affect.

Nice one brother.

I've decided the next gun I get will be a Hi-Capacity 1911 in .38 Super based on Caspian's all-metal receiver.

hcgm.jpg

I'll probably go with a commander length slide and a tri-top cut, also from Caspian.

STI1940T.jpg

I'm thinking something like this:

191145.jpg

Except probably without the rail, a solid aluminum trigger, checkering, and a black-oxide slide.

I'm going to get a M&P Shield, still deciding if I should get it in 9mm or .40.

SmithWessonMP9Shield_001.jpg

Thinking about getting an AR-7 for my BOB. Anybody own one of these? Is it all gimmick or legit?

Thinking about getting an AR-7 for my BOB. Anybody own one of these? Is it all gimmick or legit?

They're legit. I've had one since I was about 6 and the only complaint I've ever had is sometimes the barrel is a bit difficult to get out of the stock and the threaded slip ring can be a bit of a pain from time to time. Of course, my rifle is near twenty years old and I'm sure those minor flaws have been resolved over the last two decades.

Just sent my Form 1s into the ATF to register my lower as an SBR so I will be in the market for a "truck/trunk" quality SBR upper. Probably gonna go with a DA Arms 11" Z upper with a Dynacomp.

Just sent my Form 1s into the ATF to register my lower as an SBR so I will be in the market for a "truck/trunk" quality SBR upper. Probably gonna go with a DA Arms 11" Z upper with a Dynacomp.

I think you mean Form 4. But congrats man.

Thanks man! I am excited. But for your reference, I did mean a Form 1. :) I decided to "make" my non-restricted Aero Precision lower that I've had for the past year to a restricted NFA item. If I was buying an already restricted NFA lower or a complete rifle, then a Form 4 would be necessary.

DSZM4CBU11.jpg

240 bucks without BCG and handle.

I know DS Arms has a pretty good rep with their FAL makes, but they are pretty new into the AR world. Lot's of hot and cold reviews but I'm not looking for anything that will break the bank so to speak.

Last edited:
I'm going to get a M&P Shield, still deciding if I should get it in 9mm or .40.

SmithWessonMP9Shield_001.jpg

Been looking for a new carry gun myself. I've been CCWing my USP45 FS for the past 5 months. lol. Give us an update when you get a chance to try it out.

Yeah it's a form 1 if he's buying a sbr upper and putting it on a lower. Be prepared for a monstrous wait time to get your stamp back. It's in the neighborhood of 6 months last I checked.

Yeah it's a form 1 if he's buying a sbr upper and putting it on a lower. Be prepared for a monstrous wait time to get your stamp back. It's in the neighborhood of 6 months last I checked.

So I have heard man. It went from being 2-3 months back in Jan I believe to recently being 6 months :eek:

Back