When and how do you draw the time line to forgive crimes committed by a nation?

slivercord

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm talking from the crusades to the Indians massacre, slavery. Or last century holocaust. Some of you seem to have a pretty small memory when it comes to crimes your country have committed, and very hypocritical when discussing current themes. You got a lot of blood in your hands, since this is most yanks. I ask this question.

The shits been happening for thousands of years by many countries/ethnicities.

Is normal.

Also, you're an idiot for blaming this generation for what past generations did. That shit is weak.

Forgiveness is the ideal, but "moving on" should be the priority.

The shits been happening for thousands of years by many countries/ethnicities.

Is normal.

Also, you're an idiot for blaming this generation for what past generations did. That shit is weak.
Tell that to the Chinese and the Koreans. They're in perpetual state of butthurt when it comes to Japan.

We learn from the past to improve the future

I'm talking from the crusades to the Indians massacre, slavery. Or last century holocaust. Some of you seem to have a pretty small memory when it comes to crimes your country have committed, and very hypocritical when discussing current themes. You got a lot of blood in your hands, since this is most yanks. I ask this question.
For me there's a distinction between such crimes that were committed within living memory and the ones that are long gone from it. Virtually all of the atrocities committed against the Indians in the territory of the United States are not within living memory but stuff like Japanese internment and the Mexican Repatriation are and should be addressed.

Not saying we shouldn't acknowledge atrocities outside living memory necessarily but in my mind the opportunity to satisfactorily address them has passed once all the victims and perpetrators involved have died.

We learn from the past to improve the future
That's solid, so what have you learned? Still treat minorities like crap. Iraq, Afghan war. Cucking for a dictator and laugh about it?

That's solid, so what have you learned? Still treat minorities like crap. Iraq, Afghan war. Cucking for a dictator and laugh about it?
I don't treat minorities like crap though, you should stop blaming everyone, not everyone is bad

The best way to move on is to make sure such atrocities never occur again. It is also important to acknowledge historic events and not downplay them for political purposes today. The Armenian genocide at the hands of Turks is one such example. There are countries that have recognized it but too many do not in order to not alienate Turkey.

The best way to move on is to make sure such atrocities never occur again. It is also important to acknowledge historic events and not downplay them for political purposes today. The Armenian genocide at the hands of Turks is one such example. There are countries that have recognized it but too many do not in order to not alienate Turkey.
Yeah I was about to add the Armenian genocide too. Listen I know we all(nations) have blood in our hands. But I think a lot of people downplay it, and comes out hypocritical. If you give me the "it was a long time ago" I won't buy it. Give me a time-line! I'm OK with your answer though.

Yeah I was about to add the Armenian genocide too. Listen I know we all(nations) have blood in our hands. But I think a lot of people downplay it, and comes out hypocritical. If you give me the "it was a long time ago" I won't buy it. Give me a time-line! I'm OK with your answer though.
I co-sign!

A perfect example of how ideology gets booted when the current political climate dictates a different view.

Obama as a senator:
Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term genocide to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy. As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.

Obama as the president:

He said that his views hadn't changed but he refused to call it a genocide.

This is not about partisanship, the US government acknowledged the Armenian genocide in 1951 but since 1975, all presidents, both republicans and democrats refuse to call it a genocide.

I forgive everyone , apart from the Germans they're bad bastards .

I say living memory is a good standard as @Kafir-kun said. Unless a pattern is shown.

Just for shits and giggles, and so this isn't a one way shit slinging thread, where do you call home TS? I mean, you seem to be calling out Americans from behind a veil of anonymity which seems more accusatory and less an attempt at having a discussion in good faith.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know because my nation has never done anything wrong.

I say living memory is a good standard as @Kafir-kun said. Unless a pattern is shown.

Just for shits and giggles, and so this isn't a one way shit slinging thread, where do you call home TS? I mean, you seem to be calling out Americans from behind a veil of anonymity which seems more accusatory and less an attempt at having a discussion in good faith.

British, western europen or Canadian would be my guess.

where do you call home TS? I mean, you seem to be calling out Americans from behind a veil of anonymity which seems more accusatory and less an attempt at having a discussion in good faith.

Probably from some pansy 'neutral' country , they're the worst of all .

Back