When can Cynthia Calvillo return?

Not a fan.

Loved seeing her reaction to losing that decision haha.

Edit: Found it

giphy.gif

i could watch that gif all day.. she comes across as a spoiled entitled little brat.. cant stand the girl

for performance enhancing reasons?
or for safety reason?

for safety reasons I am completely fine with them preventing fighters from entering the cage under the influence of narcotics or alcohol.

Its pretty obvious that fighting baked you could take far more of a beating than you should do..

Punch me..
Nah.. didnt feel shit..
Punch me again...
Still cant feel anything...
REALLY PUNCH ME...

and ultimately you are meant to be a professional. You wouldnt turn up for your regular job stoned (well you might and I have), so dont turn up to fight having been smoking all week..

serious bit in spoiler
there are three criteria for things being prohibited

1) potential to enhance performance
2) potential to have a negative impact on teh health of the athlete
3) against the spirit of sport (a catch all that includes anything from behaving in a good manner, setting a good example etc)

to be prohibited something only has to satisfy 2 of 3 criteria..

So if we determine that fighting stoned is not good for your own health, and it sets a bad example, it fits two criteria..

Weed is not a significant performance enhancer, it may help recovery slightly but it's not much better than aspirin. In the cage you would be at a disadvantage being stoned. Being against the spirit of the sport makes sense, but times are changing, only in the states is Weed so misunderstood and looked down upon.

If you can’t even stop smoking weed just for ONE WEEK OF YOUR LIFE, then it’s a problem called addiction. God, even O’Malley cut it on time
{<hhh]

for performance enhancing reasons?
or for safety reason?

for safety reasons I am completely fine with them preventing fighters from entering the cage under the influence of narcotics or alcohol.

Its pretty obvious that fighting baked you could take far more of a beating than you should do..

Punch me..
Nah.. didnt feel shit..
Punch me again...
Still cant feel anything...
REALLY PUNCH ME...

and ultimately you are meant to be a professional. You wouldnt turn up for your regular job stoned (well you might and I have), so dont turn up to fight having been smoking all week..

serious bit in spoiler
there are three criteria for things being prohibited

1) potential to enhance performance
2) potential to have a negative impact on teh health of the athlete
3) against the spirit of sport (a catch all that includes anything from behaving in a good manner, setting a good example etc)

to be prohibited something only has to satisfy 2 of 3 criteria..

So if we determine that fighting stoned is not good for your own health, and it sets a bad example, it fits two criteria..

Agree so much with this! It’s dangerous for the fighter who gets there stoned, but let’s say that it’s completely their choice to do so.

But what could happen if that said fighter gets a severe brain injury for not feeling the pain “on time” on the octagon and the guy ends up numb like Syd Barret or smt, and his rival ends up with a bigger problem like a lawsuit or a guilty feeling for that? I dunno, don’t think we should allow it for safety reasons.

I don’t like any type of drugs, wouldn’t like my kids to be close to drugs; but that’s just me.
Everyone is free to do whatever they please; just don’t think drugs should be allowed to be near any type of sport. I don’t even praise guys like Phelps, I think it gave him an advantage over his rivals.
The problem here is that mma is a contact sport, drugs should be out of this. (No one got hurt when Phelps won all those medals, not even his rivals, so, a complete different sport)

Weed is not a significant performance enhancer, it may help recovery slightly but it's not much better than aspirin. In the cage you would be at a disadvantage being stoned. Being against the spirit of the sport makes sense, but times are changing, only in the states is Weed so misunderstood and looked down upon.
i would say the opposite..

America is pretty forward thinking, its legal in countless states..

try smoking or obtaining weed in most of europe..

If you can’t even stop smoking weed just for ONE WEEK OF YOUR LIFE, then it’s a problem called addiction. God, even O’Malley cut it on time
{<hhh]

Agree so much with this! It’s dangerous for the fighter who gets there stoned, but let’s say that it’s completely their choice to do so.

But what could happen if that said fighter gets a severe brain injury for not feeling the pain “on time” on the octagon and the guy ends up numb like Syd Barret or smt, and his rival ends up with a bigger problem like a lawsuit or a guilty feeling for that? I dunno, don’t think we should allow it for safety reasons.

I don’t like any type of drugs, wouldn’t like my kids to be close to drugs; but that’s just me.
Everyone is free to do whatever they please; just don’t think drugs should be allowed to be near any type of sport. I don’t even praise guys like Phelps, I think it gave him an advantage over his rivals.
The problem here is that mma is a contact sport, drugs should be out of this. (No one got hurt when Phelps won all those medals, not even his rivals, so, a complete different sport)

I've lost several friends to marijuana OD.

It's no joke. People need to wake up.

Lives have been destroyed.

That said, despite her claims she stopped smoking a week out, it was pretty clear from her post fight tantrum that she was baked in the cage..

shes probably progressed down the slippery slope and is snorting crack cocaine through her arse by now.. three years time she will be getting beaten up by Valentina Shevchenko and storming out of the cage screaming "thats bullshit, i won that fucking fight, thats fucking bullshit" with a train track of needle marks between her toes..
<mma4>

Nate Diaz managed to fight under USADA and pass ffs.

If Nate Diaz can do it, theres no reason why everyone else cant.

Something to remember, everyone goes on about its stupid weed is prohibited, yadda yadda yadda...

The UFC/USADA program has been in place for three years now..

There have been THREE cannabis violations in three years.

Lets say 50% of the roster are regular smokers.. thats over 300 smokers in the UFC at any one time.. closer to 500 over the course of the program..

yet only three (Brandao, Gastelum and Calvillo) have gone over threshold..

that says to me its pretty easy to stay below the threshold without a problem.

I've lost several friends to marijuana OD.

It's no joke. People need to wake up.

Lives have been destroyed.

Agree 100%, but you know; no one can say that without being mocked on; bc nowadays EVERYONE smoke weed and think it’s great (only good for epilepsy) so I just try to raise my two kids to not think weed is medicine, that cures cancer, HIV or whatever the fuck people think nowadays, and just focus on my kids; there’s nothing I can or want to do about other people.

Does anyone legitimately think marijuana needs to be on the banned list?
Not during camp, no.

Fighting while you're high though,

It is definitely a powerful performance enhancer. For the span of about an 30 mins - an hour anyways. Then it kind of goes downhill.

Cant tell you what weed does to me when I'm boxing or doing any sort of martial arts.

Obviously It depends greatly on the person and their level of tolerance as well.

Nate Diaz managed to fight under USADA and pass ffs.

If Nate Diaz can do it, theres no reason why everyone else cant.

Something to remember, everyone goes on about its stupid weed is prohibited, yadda yadda yadda...

The UFC/USADA program has been in place for three years now..

There have been THREE cannabis violations in three years.

Lets say 50% of the roster are regular smokers.. thats over 300 smokers in the UFC at any one time.. closer to 500 over the course of the program..

yet only three (Brandao, Gastelum and Calvillo) have gone over threshold..

that says to me its pretty easy to stay below the threshold without a problem.

Let me just tell you, there’s not only 50% of the rooster, it’s up to 95% of them smoking weed. More to your favor, agree that they should be able to stop when they need it.

Let me just tell you, there’s not only 50% of the rooster, it’s up to 95% of them smoking weed. More to your favor, agree that they should be able to stop when they need it.

i was deliberately hedging really low with 50% because if i said 90% some smart arse would ask for evidence that 90% of the roster was toking.

Even with a 50% figure..

3 positives, in 3 years out of 500+ fighters shows the threshold is easy to get under..

Not sure how long she is out... but hoping she is spending hours at the gym. Hard to be a contender and not a complete fighter.

She had a marijuana. I think its terminal.

Once your not a pussy anymore and build a real tolerance for large amounts of THC it can be used to “enhance” training and recovery.

Why do so many ultra-runners get baked before runs? I know I do, I run long distance multiple times a week no less than 6mi per run and it helps immensely. And Ive also been grappling and training for a very long time and its hand-and-hand with Jitz training. Just my opinion, its definitely not an enhancer for everyone.

But how about this, if you and I were training for a fight, and Im used to getting baked and training hard in zones, and using it for recovery/rest/anxiety suppressor, wouldnt I have an edge come fight day?

i was deliberately hedging really low with 50% because if i said 90% some smart arse would ask for evidence that 90% of the roster was toking.

Even with a 50% figure..

3 positives, in 3 years out of 500+ fighters shows the threshold is easy to get under..

Yes, agree, only 3 positives is a really low number compared with other type of banned substances. But why wasn’t she able to hold herself for just one week? Specially if guys like O’Malley one the Diaz bros (to name some) can do it.

Does anyone legitimately think marijuana needs to be on the banned list?

No.

And the serious issue (that certain would-be-experts here fail to address) is that the circumstances of the weight cut and dehydration, as well as changes in ACTH levels, etc. during fight week cause a release of stored THC. Not everyone will store and release the same amount even with identical use. And the degree to which this occurs in fighters or others doing extreme cuts has never been studied. So the levels are arbitrary. The raising of the levels was done after USADA eventually found out (after everyone else told them) that this shit occurred, so without scientific review at all (zero studies done) they just picked a fucking number.

People going to arbitration over this need a damn scientist as well as a lawyer. Otherwise they will just get out-argued by assholes.

Yes, agree, only 3 positives is a really low number compared with other type of banned substances. But why wasn’t she able to hold herself for just one week? Specially if guys like O’Malley one the Diaz bros (to name some) can do it.

See my previous comment. I really pushed dimspace on this on a thread, and he ran from it. Then, on another thread, where he claimed that changes in standard deviation showed cause, I pointed out that this too was wrong. He then put me on ignore. Do not expect a decent answer that does not paint the USADA in a good light, or require actual knowledge of the field.

Back