When did beards get popular all of a sudden?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know beards have historically been a biological (and social) sign of masculinity, and a secondary sexual characteristic probably indicative of testosterone value.

It seems in modern times, beards for a while weren't too popular. People ditched them, to instead go for a clean-cut, freshly shaven look.

It seems, about 5 or so years back, there emerged some huge desire in beards. Women started becoming obsessed with bearded, lumberjack men... In some cases, even guys looking a bit homeless (read hipsterish). Naturally, guys became obsessed with beards too. Started trends like #beardgamestrong and #beardgang.

With everything equal, I feel like a woman in the 90s would've snatched up a shaven man without hesitation, and a modern woman would snatch up a bearded dude.

When did this happen?

Why did this happen?

How did this happen?

men-looks-beards-flannels-lumbersexuals.jpg

When looking poor became cool again.

I use my beard to hide my tiny jawbone.

The fuck you talking bout ts,

Beards been a thing since the Hipster thing started...

That's been a good six or seven years already..

Go outside, or stop looking down at your fucking phone all of the time when in public and maybe you would have seen this shit a long time ago.

FUCK THIS THREAD!!

I started noticing this maybe ten years ago. Since then, it exploded.

Personally, I just don't like the upkeep of having a beard, and stick with permastubble, although my missus has appreciated it when I go lax on trimming it, and it goes to full beard.

I might give in to her eventually and grow a longer beard for her.

I think they're most popular with guys who have tiny feminine facial bone structure.

because i have an awesome beard thats when, you think chuck norris goes around clean shaven and shit, hell no

it's called trends. we get bored and sick of stuff after a while, so fashions cycle in and out. welcome to life.

didn't mean to make that sound angry or anything, lol.

My chin and jaw structure isn't Chad enough, god bless beard.

Beards are a good way for effeminate dudes to look masculine. Alternately fat guys use them to hide a dbl chin.

If I don't shave for two or three days my skin gets itchy. I can't imagine how itchy and hot and uncomfortable a full beard is in the summer.

Beards are a good way for effeminate dudes to look masculine. Alternately fat guys use them to hide a dbl chin.

If I don't shave for two or three days my skin gets itchy. I can't imagine how itchy and hot and uncomfortable a full beard is in the summer.

Facts.

My face was always skinny af.

I got older and got a little dad bod and less strong of a chin. I refuse to shave now.

I start growing it out after 4th of July for the fall/winter, buzz it sometime between St. Pat's and Easter for spring/beginning of summer.

I'm in full beard winter mode right now.

if anything, it was extremely gradual.

They've been popular for at least a good 8 -10 years. It's also a great way for ugly guys to hide their face and look more attractive. You'll also notice most white men that are balding rocking a beard.

When they became a convenient proxy for manliness without actually requiring the wearer to act or be manly.

some beards are ok....some are just ridiculous. like with everything in life, some just go overboard with it. when that shit is like 7 inches long all over, it looks like a fucking bird put together a nest on your face and honestly, it looks like dogshit. plus, underneath all that bullshit is a plethora of dirt and grime and straight up shit.

Probably since it was cool to hate the military and/or law enforcement. Give or take 10 years ago.

Back