When did beards get popular all of a sudden?

About once a week I shave with a 3mm guard on my razor. I have a fairly strong jawline and it actually accentuates it. If I get lazy and don't shave for like 2 weeks it gets too rounded and makes me look chubby in the face.

They've been popular for at least a good 8 -10 years. It's also a great way for ugly guys to hide their face and look more attractive. You'll also notice most white men that are balding rocking a beard.
It’s also an excellent way to hide a double-chin. So I’m told...

Beards are a good way for effeminate dudes to look masculine. Alternately fat guys use them to hide a dbl chin.

If I don't shave for two or three days my skin gets itchy. I can't imagine how itchy and hot and uncomfortable a full beard is in the summer.

So you've never grown a beard? It stops being itchy if you grow one.

As for me, it's way easier not having to shave and just trimming once a week. I can't imagine going back to shaving daily.

So you've never grown a beard? It stops being itchy if you grow one.

I've gone without shaving for maybe a week or ten days when camping and it's just uncomfortable and gross. I have an electric razor I keep in the car and plug into the cigarette lighter now.

I've gone without shaving for maybe a week or ten days when camping and it's just uncomfortable and gross. I have an electric razor I keep in the car and plug into the cigarette lighter now.

You have to just keep at it. Your facial skin isn't used to having hair and you're not giving it time. It eventually feels like the rest of your hair.

Most people look stupid with beards. If I could grow one, I wouldn't. But my masculine jawline makes up for your feces covered face.

ZwfEzVs.jpg

I know beards have historically been a biological (and social) sign of masculinity, and a secondary sexual characteristic probably indicative of testosterone value.

It seems in modern times, beards for a while weren't too popular. People ditched them, to instead go for a clean-cut, freshly shaven look.

It seems, about 5 or so years back, there emerged some huge desire in beards. Women started becoming obsessed with bearded, lumberjack men... In some cases, even guys looking a bit homeless (read hipsterish). Naturally, guys became obsessed with beards too. Started trends like #beardgamestrong and #beardgang.

With everything equal, I feel like a woman in the 90s would've snatched up a shaven man without hesitation, and a modern woman would snatch up a bearded dude.

When did this happen?

Why did this happen?

How did this happen?

men-looks-beards-flannels-lumbersexuals.jpg

As someone who has had a beard since 1970, There have been women in their 20s from every decade who liked it.

Beards have gone in and out of style for most of recorded history. My Grandfather didn't like the new minister at his church in 1971 because he had a beard. The church had pictures of all of the ministers that had served the church since the 1860s. Most of them had beards. It was in the 1950s when the first clean shaven ministers served.

I didn't grow one till my late 20's and I couldn't do without it now. I think a lot of guys like it as an extra customization option, but for me it keeps my face warm in the winter and never get IDed buying liquor.

It's like when I see white dudes from the States, every guy has to have a beard. I know they're covering their weak jawline.
I like to show off my masculine jawline proudly
Also I'm asian so I can't grow a beard
<DCrying>

When liberal hipsters appropriated the culture of real men.

When did this happen?
Why did this happen?
How did this happen?
There was speculation that women prefer beards which is a more traditionally masculine trait during economically hard times. I think it parallels the return of suits for men for the same reason.

Yeah beards are definitely in right now. I'm fine with it though. As long as the mustache doesn't make a comeback.

Growing up, all my friends had a old picture of their dad on the wall and they all looked something like this asshole. I feel bad for the women back then.
FDL7Pne.jpg

It distracts people for a moment from my fleeting hairline.

Back